TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I'm curious about how this type will ride with the vest as opposed to the standard OTSR; I don't think my head has ever met the restraints on either of the Busch Dive Machines over the years.

I like the placement- glad it isn't right next to Gatekeeper.

My opinion of the ride is that it's basically just icing on the cake and I love it. The park already has a flat out ridiculous coaster lineup and this looks to be another great coaster that makes it even more ridiculous. Do I expect it to match the intensity of Maverick, Dragster, Raptor, Wicked Twister or Magnum? No. Do I expect it to be as mind blowing as Millennium Force? No. But it should be another Gatekeeper / Rougarou style, great, fun coaster with mass appeal, great capacity and great up-time assuming it's not drizzling or slightly breezy.

Personally I'm thrilled and this is probably my most anticipated 2016 coaster with the obvious exception of Lightning Rod.

Agreed. GP will eat it up! "Vertical drop" will sell.

WHAT?!?! There is no tunnel!?! How could Cedar Point?! Don't they know every good coaster MUST have a tunnel.

I am shocked no one has complained that they didn't go ahead and put the "Danger do not enter" signs on the low zone fences in the animation (even though we know they will be there in real life)... I mean they didn't change the name after that guys death... and now this?? Ugh... what has Cedar Point come to? (You know there are people who will say things like this, and they will be serious about it.)

I'm calling it now... This is for sure going to be a back row ride. Ever Dive Machine I have been on gives amazing airtime in the back row. Of course the holding brake is the best in the front row, but the airtime will be the best in the back row!! I hope the trains still have the tiered seating. I am not sure why they wouldn't... I'm just not familiar with the vest harnesses on a Dive Machine train. I think the colors on the trains look good, and I think the color of the track looks good!! Can't wait to try it out next summer!

My opinion of the ride is that it's basically just icing on the cake and I love it. The park already has a flat out ridiculous coaster lineup and this looks to be another great coaster that makes it even more ridiculous.

This x1000! After finally visiting CP last weekend it quickly became my favorite amusement park. What do you get a park that has practically everything? Even more coaster diversity by getting a dive coaster. Griffon at BG is a seriously fun ride, and Valravn looks even better. The only major thing the park has left to fix is Mean Streak, and I'm confident that will be dealt with in due time.

Can't wait to see this thing in person. Absolutely incredible addition to Cedar Point. I see nothing to complain about CP were are very lucky to get what we are getting. In just 3 years time we got a world class record breaking B&M wing coaster and now a world class record breaking Dive coaster. Plus a floorless coaster, whats not to like. The color is probably going to look much different in the real world and in sunlight and with the entrance being over by Blue Streak no one is going to confuse this for Rougaroo with is actually pretty far from this one.

I'm glad they went with the vest restraints. I am happy with this coaster in just about every way. I have never been on a Dive Machine and this will provide the best chance over the next several years.

I'm not typically one to be a Debby Downer, but this is pretty underwhelming announcement. I don't care what kind of "records" this thing breaks, no matter how you look at it, Sheikra did most of what this coaster does 10 years ago. The lack of a tunnel, water splash, or theming in general kinda kills the excitement of this coaster for me.

I'm curious about how this type will ride with the vest as opposed to the standard OTSR; I don't think my head has ever met the restraints on either of the Busch Dive Machines over the years.

I like the placement- glad it isn't right next to Gatekeeper.

I was thinking the same thing as I have never been jolted on either dive machine. Both Sheikra & Griffin are two of the smoothest coasters that I have ever ridden.

Another reason that this will be a huge hit with the GP. Fun, thrilling, smooth, reliable, photogenic...lot's of things to like about this addition.

Edit: The splash-downs are gimmicks and add nothing to the on- ride experience. The tunnel on the 2nd hill of Sheikra didn't either.

Edited by Philrad71

WHAT?!?! There is no tunnel!?! How could Cedar Point?! Don't they know every good coaster MUST have a tunnel.
(me, being sarcastic...)

...The lack of a tunnel, water splash, or theming in general kinda kills the excitement of this coaster for me.

Well... That didn't take long.

Edited by DoinItForTheFame

So I could be wrong, but to the people complaining about the 10 vs 8 seats, it might be we've seen the end of 10 across trains. Griffon actually had a fair deal of problems with the additional two seats, including a broken lift chain the year after opening. Notice that no coaster since has had 10 across. Just because Griffon has stayed in operation doesn't mean that 8 wasn't determined to be more optimal and that's what we'll see from now on. I'm more shocked not to see a dual load station like SheiKra. A massive park like CP really struck me as a place for a dual loader.

Anyhow this looks fantastic, and I'm looking forward to riding it. Being tall I'm also in the camp of preferring the old OTRs to the new vest ones, as the vests I find uncomfortable and hurt my shoulders, but I honestly don't care so much as to stay off an otherwise dynamite ride.

Or has anyone thought that since the new restraints are in effect, the clearance envelope of these trains may be the same as a 10 seat train. Therefore, a 10 seat train with these restraints could potentially have caused for a whole new support system.

Or has anyone thought that since the new restraints are in effect, the clearance envelope of these trains may be the same as a 10 seat train. Therefore, a 10 seat train with these restraints could potentially have caused for a whole new support system.

I think it's a safe assumption that this is the reason behind the 8-across rows. The new hardware likely just doesn't fit with the 10-across version, and Cedar Point chose guest comfort (though many of you will cry foul on that one) over capacity.

I'm not typically one to be a Debby Downer, but this is pretty underwhelming announcement. I don't care what kind of "records" this thing breaks, no matter how you look at it, Sheikra did most of what this coaster does 10 years ago. The lack of a tunnel, water splash, or theming in general kinda kills the excitement of this coaster for me.

I think it's a safe assumption that this is the reason behind the 8-across rows. The new hardware likely just doesn't fit with the 10-across version, and Cedar Point chose guest comfort (though many of you will cry foul on that one) over capacity.

Not exactly. Just by looking, I can tell that Valravn's train is about 1 seat narrower on each side than Griffon. I could be wrong though, as it's a guesstimate at best. If I'm right, then I'm not sure why they went with 8 across vest trains.

Also, am I the only tall guy who actually really likes the vests and hates the OTSR's? I'm beginning to notice a trend here

Edited by Coaster Hero

I'm going a bit out on a limb and saying the reason there is no tunnel is because of the parks proximity to Lake Erie and the high water table. While a tunnel wouldn't be impossible, it would likely cost too much money to be worthwhile. Plus, I can't think of anything at CP that goes under ground.

I'm a huge fan of the vest restraints for this ride. One of the biggest issues I have with the original B&M OTSRs was the fact that it was very difficult for an entire row to have their hands up because there is little space between the huge restraints. The new B&Ms are comfy, have better hand holds and don't even allow for head banging. Really think they'll work great when you're hanging there for 4 seconds over the first drop.

Not exactly. Just by looking, I can tell that Valravn's train is about 1 seat narrower on each side than Griffon. I could be wrong though, as it's a guesstimate at best. If I'm right, then I'm not sure why they went with 8 across vest trains.

If you're right, then I'll chock it up to aerodynamics - the thing sits what, 250 feet from the water? Gatekeeper runs insanely slow when it's windy, and while those trains might be wider they're not nearly as flat-fronted. Granted, that measurement is just based off of an animation and not the train itself - for comparison, are Banshee's trains any wider than the old ones?

I'm going a bit out on a limb and saying the reason there is no tunnel is because of the parks proximity to Lake Erie and the high water table. While a tunnel wouldn't be impossible, it would likely cost too much money to be worthwhile. Plus, I can't think of anything at CP that goes under ground.

The water table underneath doesn't stop them from landscaping up instead of down.

Edited by coasterfreak101

I never seriously expected an underground tunnel for this coaster, or any other at CP for that very reason. A raised enclosure that the drop went into, however, was a perfectly reasonable hope for a Dive Coaster, based on many other models. And it totally could have worked right there (who knows, maybe it will be there in reality), instead of being open like it is. Whatever, though... It'll still be an amazing experience, even without that, and being able to look down on people standing on the midway, gawking, before dropping straight towards them, will be cool too! (I'm definitely thinking an edge seat on the front right side might be the money seat on this baby! )

I don't think the new restraints create a wider envelope, and if they do, it's marginal. Otherwise how could rides like Banshee have them? Are the banshee trains actually wider? Even if the seats were a tiny bit wider, I don't think it would account for 2 peoples worth of seats coming off. I honestly think that the reasons for 8 over 10 are a lot more to do with operational forces on the structure, and nothing more. Doing a zero G roll on a train this wide is a crazy problem, with g-forces much harder to deal with on the outer seats than I think people are giving it credit, which is probably why until now, every DM with one has been 6 across instead of 8. And again, Griffon has had some pretty major issues crop up both in design and since opening as a result of being 10 wide. (Also, fun fact, the reason Griffon went floorless is because the track couldn't handle the weight of a 10 wide floored train. It wasn't originally supposed to be floorless).

The weight and stress on the structure of dive machines are known issues. The 10 wide being a problem is a known issue. Unless someone has measurements that prove that Banshee is wider than normal inverts, or that Vlaravn is as wide as Griffon, I'm going to assume that this is not the reason behind 8 over 10.