TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Cedar Point's new ride in 2015 will be thrill ride aimed at teens and other hard core thrillsters, rather than a family-oriented ride, said Jason McClure, the park's general manager.

I could be wrong, but it sounds like a new coaster to me. I guess it could be a dark ride. However, the park GM is making it seem like it will be a kick-butt ride, and on the matter of dark rides, Disney and Universal are really the only ones that make truly kick-butt dark rides in my opinion.

Regardless of if their next coaster is coming next year, or later on, it really should be a quality wooden coaster (something from RMC or GCI). If it's an RMC, I think Mean Streak should go to the junkyard and be replaced by a brand new woodie. I don't understand why most enthusiasts are dying for it to be Iron Horsed because the layout looks boring to me: it's seems like just a bunch of slightly-banked turns with only a few opportunities for airtime.

Thing about having those turns undulate up and down in a banked turn with bunny hops. Or a double up on the overbank.

Keep in mind that Mean Streak is a nearly mirrored clone of the Texas Giant. There certainly are possibilities in terms of making the layout interesting. However, I would prefer a ground up RMC wooden coaster over an I-box conversion.

Thing about having those turns undulate up and down in a banked turn with bunny hops. Or a double up on the overbank.

I guess you're right that they could Iron Horse it in that way, but I personally would rather have a new RMC built from scratch because they'd have a lot more freedom to get creative with it.

If a new coaster is coming for 2015 it will not be a redux of Mean Streak. Unless they demolish it now, they wouldnt be done by next season considering how huge Mean Streak is, and if they did have plans to redo Mean Streak, they would have announced its closure by now a la Colossus. I see this being a flat ride of some sort, considering that:

1. Gatekeeper just opened last season and still has a bit of new ride buzz with the GP

2. The Hotel Breakers renovation is a major project in and of itself spanning this entire season

3. Theres little room for a new roller coaster, yet no rumblings of any ride closures or removals

This is just speculation on my part, though, and I would love to be proven wrong. If any park is going to surprise us, its Cedar Point.

So it would appear that Jason McClure gave a little teaser as to what next year's new ride is going to be:

[attachment=0]kjhfkifiy.JPG[/attachment]

Do you think this would rule out the Dark Ride thing? Considering those are made more for families if I understand correctly (please correct me if I'm wrong). And I also don't really think a Dark Ride would be aimed towards "thrillsters" but again, I could be wrong. If I were to take a guess, I'd say its something along the lines of MaXair or SkyHawk. Both pretty awesome, huge thrill rides that offer great views, lots o' airtime, and they look stunning! (Especially when both arms work )

To place my thoughts into this 2015 debate. As much as I would like to see a new amazing roller coaster that breaks all records or offers something very special. I have to think the way that the article was worded would point to something big but not a large scale coaster. Maybe a small foot print or a state of the art dark ride. When they used the word teenagers that took it away from the large coaster factor for me. Just my thought. I would like to see something special and unique.

Regarding attendance

I go to the park a lot and attendance is way down this year compared to last. I'm sure weather and lack of a major new coaster are part of the reason. I think Fastlane is also playing a role. When you have up to 50 percent of your ride capacity going to fastlane users it has to have some effect on how enjoyable the day is for everyone else. I think they got a little to greedy with it. I think a lot of people who had to wait 2 to 3 hours for a single ride simply aren't coming back this year. Had they kept it to a level similar to the first year of fastlane they would have been much better off.

Note: I am not a fastlane hater, I use it a lot

Am I correct in understanding that if you don't have Fastlane you could be in for long waits? I have platinum passes so we will at least get in the hour early but being this is our honeymoon we do not have the money to purchase Fastlane, we are going the end of the month on a Sunday and Monday and were hoping to be able to get in everything we want if planned accordingly.

Well, it could still be that WMG style dark ride. Who remembers that Cedar fair trademark? Rougarou. Aka werewolf. I'd say a scary style fun dark ride where you're shooting werewolves would be teen oriented. It's be like curse of Darkastle but a coaster and you shoot the monsters!

So you saying shooting at werewolves is something teens will enjoy.

I guess you're right that they could Iron Horse it in that way, but I personally would rather have a new RMC built from scratch because they'd have a lot more freedom to get creative with it.

Contradiction? You can get much more creative when being limited by what's already there instead of having a blank canvas to work from. Plus it would be a lot cheaper to just give it the RMC treatment rather than to demolish and start from scratch.

For the low attendance, I think we can also blame how awful Detroit is right now, I don't see nearly as many Michigan license plates in the parking lot as I used to.

I live outside Detroit and why does Detroit being awful have to do with Cedar Point attendance?

He's clearly referencing the economic problems.

If your trying to say that Cedar Point isn't taking an attendance hit, your wrong. This season has shown the lowest numbers in years. Ask any ride supervisor how their ridership this year is going. From my knowledge, next season will see lots big change. Cuts in food prices, relocation of attractions, waterpark expansion, updates to existing rides, heavy marketing, and more night action (lights/etc).

Id say Mantis update with a new version of B&M floorless trains is 9/10 happening.

RMC Mean Streak has about a 4/10 chance.

Mean Streak removal is not happening.

Well the weather has sucked in ohio this summer. It was cool and it has rained alot Could keep people away. that could be part of this. Also if people have to pick one park more people maybe going to kings island to ride banshee then to take a trip to cedar point. How do we know for sure that attendance is down. I hope that next year is a intamin Ride, Or something RMC. I do like what Cedar point is doing with the park the last few years. I dont think adding Floorless Cars would help much

If your trying to say that Cedar Point isn't taking an attendance hit, your wrong. This season has shown the lowest numbers in years. Ask any ride supervisor how their ridership this year is going. From my knowledge, next season will see lots big change. Cuts in food prices, relocation of attractions, waterpark expansion, updates to existing rides, heavy marketing, and more night action (lights/etc).

Id say Mantis update with a new version of B&M floorless trains is 9/10 happening.

RMC Mean Streak has about a 4/10 chance.

Mean Streak removal is not happening.

I don't know what you know but I know now what you think you know ... and I hope you're right.

I have a question since I'll be visiting Cedar Point in two weeks. Since the Shoot the Rapids accident last summer, has there been any changes to the ride since then? And does it have long lines? I rode it once back in 2012 and don't remember much, but I'd like to ride it again.

Also, how is GateKeeper this season? I remember reading reviews about tight restraints and rattling. I know the vests don't tighten anymore, but is the ride still bounce and/or rattle a lot? I'm curious since it will be my first B&M Wing Coaster.

I have a question since I'll be visiting Cedar Point in two weeks. Since the Shoot the Rapids accident last summer, has there been any changes to the ride since then? And does it have long lines? I rode it once back in 2012 and don't remember much, but I'd like to ride it again.

Also, how is GateKeeper this season? I remember reading reviews about tight restraints and rattling. I know the vests don't tighten anymore, but is the ride still bounce and/or rattle a lot? I'm curious since it will be my first B&M Wing Coaster.

Shoot the rapids rarely has a line, and gatekeeper does still rattle. I don't think it takes away from the ride but when you first ride gatekeeper ride in the back, it changed my whole opinion about gatekeeper. My favorite seat is back left, try it out! Have fun!

The question is why is attendance down?

I have been thinking about this since the question has been brought up.

Here are my thoughts:

1) weather

2) family deciding to take one big family trip to somewhere "special" that has everything. From resorts, night life, show, rides. Something like Florida.

3) the additions this year were great, but Cedar Point may be fighting against universal right now with the addition of Harry Potter. It may be a stretch to say that but if I was a family and had to choose, frankly I would say Universal vs. CP this year.

Hopefully this summer picked up for them. Does anybody know how low percentage it is down?

No visible changes have been made to STR.

GateKeeper is running better than last year IMO. Ride in the morning, then in the evening, as typical with all coasters, it runs faster later in the day. Both sides, front and back seats are great! Right front for the first hill, falling out of your seat feeling. Back left for the speed and forces. It does have a slight vibration, one train more than the others, cant remember what one, but its not bad.