TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

^We get what you're saying. But you might be the only person in TPR history to say KK's "airtime" hill has any airtime whatsoever. And there are top hats with airtime. Go ride Storm Runner or Sky Rocket in the front and report back about how much airtime those top hats have. I've even caught a small pop while riding in the front of TTD, but nothing major.

Just making sure I was clear. The airtime isn't noticeable (Mostly because you're locked in snug against the harness.) I had to test out the theory myself. The first time I rode, I thought, "Wow my arms are tired." And then I realized I was pulling myself down on the hill. My legs really hurt too, so I rode it again, but this time wasn't going to pull myself down. I eventually did because it hurt my legs so much more than when I pulled down on the harness. But anyway to get back on the track of CP, does Maverick really have a lot of air? Or only on the two airtime hills.

^I've never noticed any airtime on the KK hill. I've noticed severe vibrations that make me feel like I'm sitting on a jackhammer, but no airtime.

The only memorable thing I remember about KK is what felt like a section of track that was missing at the end of the launch.

The so called 'airtime' hill seems like they tried too hard to make it an airtime hill and therefore it's not fun and is just plain uncomfortable.

How do you "try too hard" to make an airtime hill?

I suppose it's sort of like clicking on this thread. I "try too hard" to think something reasonable will come of it, but it just usually ends up "uncomfortable."

Like this complaining about Maverick and an airtime hill.

I made my first long-awaited visit to CP last year. Hopped on Maverick, some random seat after waiting nearly 90 minutes. Brain bash - hated it! Still, gave it another try when I was back-doored onto the ride (service recovery, nicely done). Still painful.

It bothered me that so many people rave about this ride. I felt like I was missing out. Fast forward to this August and a return visit to CP. I asked here for advice. "Watch POVs," someone said. Sigh - study to ride a coaster? Ridiculous! Surprise is part of the fun. But I did my homework, even watching in line.

Once I'd memorized the track, I knew when to lean into the abrupt transitions. The added visibility of the front seat was another big help. Pain free, I get it. This is an amazing coaster, bursting with variety and forces. It's the best coaster in the park by far. Five laps wasn't enough. I want one of these out west, please! It would fit great at Knott's.

So... if you don't like, you may have to earn those good rides. It's up to you whether the experience is worth the effort.

Erm...airtime hill=airtime? (Airtime hill does not = tophat) It's basic physics.

I don't think the term "airtime hill" has anything to do with physics. At all, actually. It's just a term. It's really just a 129-foot hill (RCDB even says so!)

And Maverick has quite a few moments of airtime - the first drop (especially in the back), the bigger airtime hill, a small bit of floater after the launch, and the smaller airtime hill. Even the Stengel dives have a sort of airtime - it just so happens that you're being thrown to your side towards the sky.

Erm...airtime hill=airtime? (Airtime hill does not = tophat) It's basic physics.

I don't think the term "airtime hill" has anything to do with physics. At all, actually. It's just a term. It's really just a 129-foot hill (RCDB even says so!)

No no, I didn't mean airtime hill has anything to do with physics. I mean the hill's nature is to provide airtime.

Edited by Schotcher

^^It's rainy and dreary here in Ohio, so people are just in a grumpy mood.

In all honesty, I absolutely love Maverick. It may not have been built specifically for airtime, but it certainly delivers enough of it. At the top of the drop, along the drop, both airtime hills, the crest after the launch, and the Stengel dives all have noticeable air. Hell, I've even felt a good bit of air in the transitions of the canyon curves (after the first drop) and in the replacement-curve after the launch. I don't find it rough at all, though I can understand how some people might find the transitions uncomfortable with the current restraints.

^^It's rainy and dreary here in Ohio, so people are just in a grumpy mood.

In all honesty, I absolutely love Maverick. It may not have been built specifically for airtime, but it certainly delivers enough of it. At the top of the drop, along the drop, both airtime hills, the crest after the launch, and the Stengel dives all have noticeable air. Hell, I've even felt a good bit of air in the transitions of the canyon curves (after the first drop) and in the replacement-curve after the launch. I don't find it rough at all, though I can understand how some people might find the transitions uncomfortable with the current restraints.

I was going to say the transitions gave me a nice pop too. I do enjoy the quick direction changes and leaning into the curves, on any coaster for that fact. I need to get my A$$ to KD and check out I305, bad.

I know its too early to be speculating about new coasters for Cedar Point (2013). But after Cedar Point announced its Dinosaur attraction for 2012, it got me to thinking. Closing down the Paddlewheel excursion for a Dinosaur attraction just doesn't make sense. However, what does make since is building a new coaster over the lagoon. It is possible considering that there are three coaster already built over the lagoon (Mantis, Iron Dragon, and Millennium Force). My interpretation of what I see being placed over the lagoon is Cedar Point's rendition of Gardaland's Wing Coaster 'Raptor'. Although, there are two wing coaster's coming next year to Dollywood and Six Flags Great America, but, Cedar Point's version will be taller, faster and will fly over the lagoon...the entire lagoon...sweeping riders closer to the water than ever. Take a look at Cedar Point thru Google Earth, and you'll see there's ample space to build this new coaster, which I'll call Loch Ness!