TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Does anyone know what happened to the on-ride music on X2? This new "version" sounds broken almost. Much quieter and has all these stupid static interruptions. You can still sort of hear Enter Sandman but not well at all. Is this perhaps due to Frightfest? Sure is scary seeing this new soundtrack that's for sure...

Hey guys, I hate to be that guy, but I uploaded a decent Trip Report of Six Flags Magic Mountain Fright Fest 2017 in my trip reports thread, and there's been very little views and no comments so I thought I'd give it a friendly bump here (sorry, it's just slightly frustrating to have a trip report thread with a lot of solid reports and very little comments or anythings on it)

themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72745&start=10

I have a few questions about Six Flags Magic Mountain? I’m thinking of going the weekend of my 38 th birthday I’m planning to fly out early afternoon or evening from Southwest Airlines from Minneapolis. My plan is to go from April 11-17. I would like to here from some coaster enthusiasts what would be the best way to save money at Six Flags Magic Mountain? Should I get a season pass for the week with a dining pass ad on along with free parking? I will have a car rental. What would be the best way to save money? Also how are the crowds in April and on weekends plus what would be some good hotels to stay at close to Magic Mountain? And I’m trying to decide if I should just do two days at Six Flags Magic Mountain and two days at Knotts Berry Farm because I have a platinum cedar fair season pass also how far is Knotts Berry Farm from Six Flags Magic Mountain get there from the I/5? I’m not really familiar with California thanks.

I have a few questions about Six Flags Magic Mountain? I’m thinking of going the weekend of my 38 th birthday I’m planning to fly out early afternoon or evening from Southwest Airlines from Minneapolis. My plan is to go from April 11-17. I would like to here from some coaster enthusiasts what would be the best way to save money at Six Flags Magic Mountain? Should I get a season pass for the week with a dining pass ad on along with free parking? I will have a car rental. What would be the best way to save money? Also how are the crowds in April and on weekends plus what would be some good hotels to stay at close to Magic Mountain? And I’m trying to decide if I should just do two days at Six Flags Magic Mountain and two days at Knotts Berry Farm because I have a platinum cedar fair season pass also how far is Knotts Berry Farm from Six Flags Magic Mountain get there from the I/5? I’m not really familiar with California thanks.

I'll let others comment on saving money but I will say two days is probably more than sufficient for both parks. The drive from the Santa Clarita Valley to Buena Park can be brutal so if you decided to do that I'd stay in Buena Park for the days you go to Knotts (as opposed to trying to drive back and forth). It's roughly ~60 miles but can take hours depending on the time of day.

I'll let others comment on saving money but I will say two days is probably more than sufficient for both parks. The drive from the Santa Clarita Valley to Buena Park can be brutal so if you decided to do that I'd stay in Buena Park for the days you go to Knotts (as opposed to trying to drive back and forth). It's roughly ~60 miles but can take hours depending on the time of day.

Magic Mountain to Knotts is about an hour and 20 min without traffic. If you go in the morning it could be twice as long if not longer.

Six Flags is usually about $35 online per day + processing and a season pass is like $85 online for a season pass with a free gold upgrade (Includes parking). Parking is currently $25 but you could easily get a hotel nearby and take a city trolly for a buck or two. To get that 85$ price you usually have to get 4 passes. They do have a daily dinning deal here: https://www.sixflags.com/magicmountain/store/one-day-dining-deal which is $35 for 2 meals + snack + daily souviner cup. I hihgly recommend this if your going to get a more expensive meal like tritip sandwhich and a cup.

I would do the 12th & 13th at Six Flags Magic Mountain It is a great park as its Coaster Capital and if you want riders going both days would be better. + The park should close at like 6 pm since its off-season. Recover on the 14th (its Saturday all theme parks are busy) Spend a few hours going to Hollywood (if you never been) and maybe Venice Beach or Santa Monica. Or if you want a really nice day at the beach drive to Santa Barbara. Don't plan to stay there hotels are ridiculous. I would do the 15th (Sunday) & 16 at Knotts. There isn't as many coasters (only like 4) and much more shows which are people eaters and can be done even on a busy weekend day. At Knotts make sure to check the calendar as some shows don't run on the weekdays (hit that on Sunday). Make sure to have a chicken dinner at Knotts Restaurant. Particularly at lunch it is not that more expensive and will give you three times as much food as a meal in the park. You can even split a 3 piece meal with a friend.

We stopped by Magic Mountain on our way home from Disneyland yesterday to go on a few rides before we continued home.

First was Full Throttle which had a fairly short line but broke down while we were waiting. It eventually was fixed and we were able to ride it. I love that coaster so I was happy to be able to experience it again.

Next, we tried Twisted Colossus but it was not operational.

We headed over to Battle for Metropolis but that was not working, either.

We saw the Drop of Doom was working, so we got into line for that. That broke down while we were in line as well.

I don't get to visit Magic Mountain very often so I am wondering if rides break down there often or did I just go on a bad day.

We stopped by Magic Mountain on our way home from Disneyland yesterday to go on a few rides before we continued home.

First was YOLOcoaster which had a fairly short line but broke down while we were waiting. It eventually was fixed and we were able to ride it. I love that coaster so I was happy to be able to experience it again.

We saw the Drop of Doom was working, so we got into line for that. That broke down while we were in line as well.

I don't get to visit Magic Mountain very often so I am wondering if rides break down there often or did I just go on a bad day.

Sounds like a normal day to me.

First was YOLOcoaster which had a fairly short line but broke down while we were waiting. It eventually was fixed and we were able to ride it. I love that coaster so I was happy to be able to experience it again.

It's nice to know that nothing has really changed since I left there over 10 years ago!

Hey all. Sorry if this has been discussed before, but it was hard to search for something related in this thread. So I'm a fair newbie to X2 at Six Flags. Always was terrifed of it, but now it's probably my favorite coaster there along with Tatsu. Only problem is with X2 the last couple of times I've banged my head really really hard near the end of the ride on the raven turn and the loop before. Any tips to prevent this or alleviate how hard I'm getting slammed into the head rest? I know sitting on the inside is supposed to help and at the front of the train, but I still had that problem. I've alleviated the infamous Viper by leaning forward, but should I maybe try the opposite with X2 in forcing my head back into the head rest?

Hey all. Sorry if this has been discussed before, but it was hard to search for something related in this thread. So I'm a fair newbie to X2 at Six Flags. Always was terrifed of it, but now it's probably my favorite coaster there along with Tatsu. Only problem is with X2 the last couple of times I've banged my head really really hard near the end of the ride on the raven turn and the loop before. Any tips to prevent this or alleviate how hard I'm getting slammed into the head rest? I know sitting on the inside is supposed to help and at the front of the train, but I still had that problem. I've alleviated the infamous Viper by leaning forward, but should I maybe try the opposite with X2 in forcing my head back into the head rest?

Having ridden X2 many, many times, it is just one of those rides you have to defensively ride. There really is no secret to have a perfectly smooth ride. It throws you around a lot; some like that, and some don't.

The only tips I can recommend is to seat near the back of the train (which is really the front--the first row to leave the station), on an inside seat (preferably with someone heavier than you on the end), and keep your restraint tight and low on your shoulders, your head forward, and your legs firmly against the seat. Some rides are simply smoother/rougher than others for reasons you can't control. The ride really is a hit or miss. I've had both excellent and awful experiences over the years.

Hope that helps. Unfortunately X2 is just a violent ride that isn't meant for everybody. Good luck!

Having ridden X2 many, many times, it is just one of those rides you have to defensively ride. There really is no secret to have a perfectly smooth ride. It throws you around a lot; some like that, and some don't.

The only tips I can recommend is to seat near the back of the train (which is really the front--the first row to leave the station), on an inside seat (preferably with someone heavier than you on the end), and keep your restraint tight and low on your shoulders, your head forward, and your legs firmly against the seat. Some rides are simply smoother/rougher than others for reasons you can't control. The ride really is a hit or miss. I've had both excellent and awful experiences over the years.

Hope that helps. Unfortunately X2 is just a violent ride that isn't meant for everybody. Good luck!

I think the ride experience is different for a lot of people, I know it is for me. I am 6'2 220 built guy and my partner is 6'0 190 and I always put him on the outside seat in the 1st or 2nd row of the train. We get minimal jerking through out the ride. It is only at the end coming out of the Raven turn into the brake run that we get the most roughness. Over all X2 is my ride (hence the screan name) and I take the good, bad and ugly of it.

i pretty much never ride X2, but the past few times i have, i've always slam my head majorly hard on the last turn. my calves also get some major abuse. for me, it's great and unique, but i pretty much treat it like it's not even there. lol

i pretty much never ride X2, but the past few times i have, i've always slam my head majorly hard on the last turn. my calves also get some major abuse. for me, it's great and unique, but i pretty much treat it like it's not even there. lol

Oh yeah my calves were bruised when I first rode X before the public. I learned that after the drop I tuck my legs in so when the flip happens they are secured up against the seat. Once the train is out of the big raven turn, its hands up and legs out. Then back in tuck position through the front flip and second raven turn. That seems to be the spot were the body suffer the most pain.

Raven to a flip then brakes...... OUCH!

X2 is a tricky beast and you need to know how to ride it!

Hmm thanks for the input! I guess I'll just have to tough it out and develop a way to "fight" it as you say! I'll try sitting forward a little more with my head and just fight the pressure of the push back. Works on Viper! But, X2 is a different animal for sure! Thanks!

You have to relax as much as possible on X2, if you tense up and brace yourself for the elements it makes it much worse.

This just goes to show how everybody experiences roller coasters differently, because I very much disagree with this statement. If I relax on X2, it throws me around like a ragdoll and the ride is much rougher. It is much more tolerable, for me, when I brace for everything, especially the final raven turn.

But like I said, that’s just me. You gotta do what works for you.

You have to relax as much as possible on X2, if you tense up and brace yourself for the elements it makes it much worse.

This just goes to show how everybody experiences roller coasters differently, because I very much disagree with this statement. If I relax on X2, it throws me around like a ragdoll and the ride is much rougher. It is much more tolerable, for me, when I brace for everything, especially the final raven turn.

Going limp is the reason drunk drivers survive their crashes.

Ride roughness on X2 also depends on which side you ride. For some reason, the right side (the side closest to Viper when you load the train) quickly rock back and forth at various points during the ride. The rocking starts at the front row and works its way toward the back as each row passes certain points, which leads me to think it's caused by manufacturing errors/wear and tear in the secondary track (the one that controls rotation). The left side doesn't have this problem.

I find that tensing up and attempting to mitigate some of the more violent flips is the best approach too. Right before the last raven turn, I lean way forward out of the restraint so that my head's as far away from the headrest as possible. This method's still hit or miss though. The last time I rode it, it was a good ride (meaning it was jerky and rough, but not overly painful). I rode it once earlier in the year though and I felt something crack in my neck and was in pretty severe pain for the rest of the day. It's a great concept, but it's always been a brutally violent ride, largely due to how much the seats bounce on their axle.

I find that riding Tatsu, Ninja or Twisted Colossus instead helps to mitigate some of the more violent shitiness of X2. It's really okay to admit that X2 sucks. Come on... you know you want to.

It's a very cool concept, the first drop is unbelievably amazing but everything that follows it is almost comically terrible.

It's really okay to admit that X2 sucks. Come on... you know you want to.

It's a very cool concept, the first drop is unbelievably amazing but everything that follows it is almost comically terrible.

X2 does suck (my screen name I made when I was 12 would say otherwise lol), but seriously beyond the first drop the seats rock too much and tend to beat the hell out of your legs. I used to not be able to sleep from excitement the night before a SFMM trip, nowadays all I care about riding is Twisted Colossus, Batman, and Drop of Doom. How times have changed...