TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Page 2228 - Wonder Woman Flight of Courage REAL POV!

I'm really hopeful this will work out for them. It's great news for me as now I can make weekday trips in the offseason when it's going to be even less crowded. I know the park's history of maintenance and operations but I imagine they've thought some of those things through so hopefully this really works for both the park and the customers.

I see this as good news and bad news. Obviously, an awesome park like SFMM being open year-round is GREAT, and staffing may even be easier as others have mentioned. However, I hope their maintenance doesn't go downhill. The park BARELY keeps up on maintaining their plethora of rides during the off-season, so I hope they work like Disney or Knott's and establish a maintenance schedule and post it online rather than half-a$$ing everything and being hush-hush about ride closures.

I really hope this works out for them, but like others, I'm skeptical about a few logistics.

Agreed, let us see what will be closed in advance and be able to plan around it.

Which reminds me, Im going on Friday. Anything I should know? Any rides closed these days? Or running just one train?

^Apocalypse is closed until Fright Fest.

As of now the park only staffs enough maintenance to do the everyday scheduled maintenance on the rides. The off-season was greatly beneficial... I sincerely hope that the park increases staffing to handle a much increased workload.

Damnit, my second favorite ride in the park.

Again? They just closed it for like 8 months for some retracking... any idea what they're doing now?

They need to blow that ride up! Replace it with a new Big Dive Coaster to take up old Deja Vu and Apocalypse land.

Again? They just closed it for like 8 months for some retracking... any idea what they're doing now?

If I remember correctly, they always heavily re-theme Apocalypse in "Shadows of Evil" during FrightFest. Anyone else can confirm?

They need to blow that ride up! Replace it with a new Big Dive Coaster to take up old Deja Vu and Apocalypse land.

Have you ridden it since the latest refurb? They actually made a difference this time, I dare say it's enjoyable now, though it will never been a smooth ride, it's at least down to just being rough as any old woodie. I used to say tear it down too, but now that it's been improved, I'd rather they keep it as long as they can keep it in this condition.

^ More extreme dynamic pricing possibly? They could go for the same strategy that Seaworld is trying in Orlando by positioning themselves as the budget friendly park for people who don't want to shell out the cash and deal with the crowds of Disney and Universal. They are also the best thrill park which gives them a nice niche already. I know I am in the minority, but as a coaster enthusiast if I came with family to Southern California during the week in January I would likely choose to go to Magic Mountain before paying twice as much to be trampled on at Disney. To each their own though, that is why there are many options to choose from.

i'm pretty interested to see how it plays out. even at Knott's i question if it's worth it. it's so dead there during the off season weekdays. one train operations and you can pretty much stay on the coasters without getting off. i'd really be interested to see the data on how much it costs to run the park compared to not, and the profit margins. anyway, i look forward to some marathon days. i'm not complaining.

I'm in the camp of "I can't see how they're going to make this work, but let them try!"

Same.

I don't see how they're going to staff the park considering so much of their workforce is minors.

I'm in the camp of "I can't see how they're going to make this work, but let them try!"

Same.

I don't see how they're going to staff the park considering so much of their workforce is minors.

Minimum wage hike + opportunity for permanent positions = More of a young adult staff?

The Tooth Fairy did not drop a huge bucket of money from the sky marked "For The Necessary Increase in Your Staffing Budget" into the park. It's great that they're trying to be open year round, but I just cringe at any thought of exactly how this is going to work.

Oh, and it's going to start right when our rainy season starts to go full bore.