TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

VR is a cheap, "smoke and mirrors" way to promote something new while putting minimum investment into a park. I hate it, and I hate that we've allowed parks to get away with half assing new attractions into their parks while we continue show up to say "yes more please" with our wallets.

How dare they charge the exorbitant amount of $6.99 a month for a Six Flags membership with free parking among other perks. The nerve!!

X2 is still as popular as ever, and lately it has been running only 1 train which results in a very long and slow moving (2hr+) line that doesnt die in the afternoon like it normally would.

Revolution is the one that is way different than before. Due to the VR causing insane 5+ minute dispatches and removal of both single rider line and normal flash pass use, Revolution's line hits 60min+ right when the park is open and stays long all day. It does VR all day, but you can opt out and tell them you don't want to use VR and just ride it normally. Unfortunately you don't get to skip any of the line for this.

I usually head for Revolution first and then go further up the hill to X2. Even if X2 is running only one train, you may only wait 45-60 min if you do it early. Or you could get a platinum flash pass and an X2 reservation, and hit both of those whenever you feel like. Revolution is now platinum flash pass only and 1 reservation per day. X2 is same as before, Gold+ and $10 to reserve.

Tatsu is hit or miss. It's still popular, but the line isn't always out of control. You can get lucky and catch it after some downtime and walk right on it. If you do opt for the Flash Pass, it works well on Tatsu.

YOLO's popularity is waning. Unless the park is very busy, it usually hovers around 30-40min waits on average days.

Twisted Colossus is popular, but it always runs 3 trains and has some of the best operations in the park, so even if the line seems long, it moves fast. Unless they're using the switchback stantions outside the covered queue, it won't be a long wait.

Justice League is like you said, kinda long lines but not overwhelming. Only bad thing is most of the queue is outside against the building and of course being MM there's no cover, so with the heat radiating off of the white building it gets kind of miserable.

Fantastic, thanks. I think Ill start straight at X2 and move clockwise, and save Revolution for last if theres any time left.

VR would be cool and make sense... where you have a dual-loading/unloading station. Like Tatsu, for example (not that they would ever do it on a ride like that... you get my point); a parallel, double station. It's still kinda stupid, but that's the only way it makes sense to me.

Isn't Europa Park refurbishing one of their old family coasters to have 2 stations (one for VR one for non-VR)?? Geez, those Germans make so much sense some time.

When drop of doom at Great Adventure had VR, there were 3 lines - normal, VR and flash pass. I dont quite know why the station was designed with three lines in the first place...but it worked well. Every dispatch had 24 seats and they had 16 VR units, so they would fill the other 8 seats from the non-vr line. Because there was almost no one on the non-vr line, you could ride vr, and then just ride again as a non vr immediately.

That did mean most dispatches did not launch full, even with a 1 hour VR line.

VR is a cheap, "smoke and mirrors" way to promote something new while putting minimum investment into a park. I hate it, and I hate that we've allowed parks to get away with half assing new attractions into their parks while we continue show up to say "yes more please" with our wallets.

How dare they charge the exorbitant amount of $6.99 a month for a Six Flags membership with free parking among other perks. The nerve!!

I'm not sure what this has to do with ruining Revolution with lame ass, low capacity VR. Nor, the rest of the industry I was speaking of. Come again?

I'm not sure what this has to do with ruining Revolution with lame A$$, low capacity VR. Nor, the rest of the industry I was speaking of. Come again?

POSSIBLY it was a reference to enthusiasts constantly b*tching about Six Flags operations, yet have no problem with their cheap passes/memberships, free parking etc; Ya get what you pay for...Didn't think that bore an explanation but oooookayyy

I'm not sure what this has to do with ruining Revolution with lame A$$, low capacity VR. Nor, the rest of the industry I was speaking of. Come again?

POSSIBLY it was a reference to enthusiasts constantly b*tching about Six Flags operations, yet have no problem with their cheap passes/memberships, free parking etc; Ya get what you pay for...Didn't think that bore an explanation but oooookayyy

Okay gotcha...you were making a general statement then. Makes more sense now, because I wasn't b*tching about SF operations, only the stupid decision to ruin perfectly good coasters with cheap ass VR.

Thanks for the clarification!

^^ I'm not expecting Disney quality service when I visit MM or any SF park for that matter, but I do expect decent operations when visiting. What bothers me the most is how inefficient SF is when it comes to budgeting. For instance, instead of forking out who knows how much for those VR headsets, what SF should have spent that money on is for an operable third train for X2 so that way, the parks most popular coaster isn't running one train for 1/3 of the year. Also, instead of cloning JL for the 7th time, SF should have spent that money on renovating Cyclone Bay and updating their restrooms. This further proves that SF is run by a bunch of idiots.

because I wasn't b*tching about SF operations, only the stupid decision to ruin perfectly good coasters with cheap A$$ VR.

How is that not a complaint about operations? And yeah it's a "cheap A$$ VR", do you expect an oculus rift at a regional theme park?

b2e49142511ca97e1acfc7b93eaab908--funny-gifs-so-funny.jpg

^^ I'm not expecting Disney quality service when I visit MM or any SF park for that matter, but I do expect decent operations when visiting. What bothers me the most is how inefficient SF is when it comes to budgeting. For instance, instead of forking out who knows how much for those VR headsets, what SF should have spent that money on is for an operable third train for X2 so that way, the parks most popular coaster isn't running one train for 1/3 of the year. Also, instead of cloning JL for the 7th time, SF should have spent that money on renovating Cyclone Bay and updating their restrooms. This further proves that SF is run by a bunch of idiots.

I don't think it proves that at all. It proves the company is ran by people who know their brand and what it's capable of. A "bunch of idiots" wouldn't have turned around a company who was once hemorrhaging financially, into a profitable entity again.

By no means is SF perfect, but I'm not gonna b*tch about $6.99 a month to ride some of the best coasters in the world.

Edited by Superbatboy

because I wasn't b*tching about SF operations, only the stupid decision to ruin perfectly good coasters with cheap A$$ VR.

How is that not a complaint about operations? And yeah it's a "cheap A$$ VR", do you expect an oculus rift at a regional theme park?

Um...that's about not operations my confused friend, it's about planning and silly expenditure decision making. How about NO VR at all?

Try again.

Um...that's about not operations my confused friend, it's about planning and silly expenditure decision making.

Try again.

VR is part of operations on Revolution so....

Um...that's about not operations my confused friend, it's about planning and silly expenditure decision making.

Try again.

VR is part of operations on Revolution so....

Except I wasn't referring only to Revolution in my original post... maybe you should re-read it. You made it about Six Flags. lol

Keep going...no let's move on. Beyond silly.

Try again.

Silly expenditure decision making? You mean like re-branding an aging and unpopular attraction (Revolution) and yielding the park an attendance increase over the previous season? Hmmm

Try again.

Silly expenditure decision making? You mean like re-branding an aging and unpopular attraction (Revolution) and yielding the park an attendance increase over the previous season? Hmmm

Yep. It's all about that attendance. Whether guests leave happy or not. lmao

Edited by Manic Monte

Try again.

SIGH

Finally we agree on something

Try again.

SIGH

cool. We move on now? Thanks!

Try again.

SIGH

Yay you got the last word. K bye

Try again.

SIGH

Yay you got the last word. K bye

No, I got the last Britney, apparently.

I DO have a problem giving Six Flags a little money for "membership" to all their parks and parking lots... There is NO OTHER OPTION!!!... to pay a reasonable amount for fair to good service (like Cedar Fair offers). One could argue that Flash Passes are a way to increase my satisfaction if I want to pay more, but it doesn't work out well for someone is looking for an overall pleasant experience.

The $198 or whatever I payed last year for a CF Platinum Pass has gotten me overall great experiences at Cedar Point and Knotts Berry Farm. The entire operation is like a different world. Rides run with reasonable reliance and efficiencies, food lines move fast, stuff is clean, etc. Employees know correct answers when you ask them questions... etc. etc. etc. I never blame the employees directly. It's been years of cruddy operations and training. The managers and those in charge of training wouldn't even know how to do many things with a little class. Sounds harsh, but I think it's true. Sure, there is always a shining star manager or employee, but they get lost in the shuffle of poorly-run parks.

If SF started charging what I consider to still be a bargain (the $200 range) for a season pass, it would take them years (or never!) to achieve the same smoothness of a Cedar Fair park. Hence my hope that Cedar Fair eventually buys some of the Six Flags parks. Especially Great America (Gurnee) and Magic Mountain.

^ Agreed. I'd gladly pay more for a better experience. so the whole, "But their passes are cheap so you should just deal with whatever crap they throw at you" doesn't fly with me. I spend more time at Knotts and Disney.

Just because Walmart is cheap doesn't mean I want to shop there.

^:nina:

I worked at Cedar Point for 3 summers and interned with Six Flags (Arlington for the whole summer and Magic Mountain for one day; there were some issues even back in 1995, and I high-tailed it outta there!) when I was in school... in the 90s. They were very different experiences. In a sense, it was easier at Six Flags because they were very laid-back; as an admired intern from Illinois, they would listen to me and kinda sorta "let me do what I wanted" (in a good way).

Cedar Fair was much more structured, stringent and they expect a LOT out of everyone. But in the long run, that way was more rewarding for us employees (we wanted to come back) and better for the business side of the park: to make people have a good time, come back and spend their money.

VR cost them $650 * 16 = $10,400 + some electrical for recharging.

So let's say $20,000.

You wont get a single bathroom reno for that price, never mind a ride upgrade.

And why bitch about clones? 99% of customers visit one park. It's like complaining that Disney China has Its a Small World. No shit they would.

VR cost them $650 * 16 = $10,400 + some electrical for recharging.

So let's say $20,000.

VR costs a bit more than just buying the devices that are strapped to people's heads.

Right, they have to program the visuals. Which look like they came from 1997.

I don't even care anymore. SFMM is such a lost cause it's not even funny to laugh about it anymore. For $7/month, I'll show up, ride Twisted Colossus and a few other rides and leave.

^Cha-ching! I mean, my LA Fitness "membership" is $19.99/month and I haven't used it in months. And THAT is a lower-class gym.

Six Flags is WAY under-priced. And the quality and operation shows :/