TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Hey guys!

So, I'm getting married next month... and returning home to SoCal for a few weeks (wedding is in CA.)

We're gonna take advantage of our season passes to visit the good ol' Magic Mountain. My Fiance has never been so I'm excited to take him.

Question is... Flash Pass. Worth it? Any tips for the flash pass? We're going to Disneyland too and people always have a game plan for the fast-passes there (slightly different, I'm aware. Seeing as how those are free).

I've never purchased a flash pass for my home park (SFoT) because, well, it's local and I can always come back whenever to ride anything I missed previously.

Thanks in advance!

Hey guys!

So, I'm getting married next month... and returning home to SoCal for a few weeks (wedding is in CA.)

We're gonna take advantage of our season passes to visit the good ol' Magic Mountain. My Fiance has never been so I'm excited to take him.

Question is... Flash Pass. Worth it? Any tips for the flash pass? We're going to Disneyland too and people always have a game plan for the fast-passes there (slightly different, I'm aware. Seeing as how those are free).

I've never purchased a flash pass for my home park (SFoT) because, well, it's local and I can always come back whenever to ride anything I missed previously.

Thanks in advance!

Well, if you only have one day, it's relatively busy and you want to ride ALL the coasters, then yes it is definitely worth it. I would buy a Gold pass with X2 and do Full Throttle first, then reserve your way around the park.

This question is always asked, but without enough info. The answer can change on your goals, expectations, time and length of visit, personal circumstances, and etc, etc. For example, if you arrive at opening, you can ride X2, Tatsu, and Superman and possibly another ride with little waits. From then on, the waits will increase dramatically as the day goes on, but you will ride most. For some that's a good day, for others who can't wait an hour for a ride, it's terrible.

(NOTE: We have a few regular season passes now; these do allow entry to any park in the chain, right? If so, we might try to use them at a new park in the fall.)

Yes. No worries there.

Side note: that actually used to confuse me a long time ago, since some parks had 2-3 levels of passes, and part of me wanted to think the cheapest one was for the home park only, though that wasn't the case.

2. I've done that successfully on CGA's Vortex, but our seats on Riddler were being difficult. They went to the top and wouldn't move until an op came by our car and moved everything down; even so, the seat went up 2 or so notches on its own after that (and even on the lift ). I found that a bit odd...

I have had that exact issue every time on Riddler's. I have no idea why it always seems to be only me, since I don't seem to be doing anything incorrectly, nor am I notably weaker than average. And the extra click up leaving the station ruins the perfect position the op was magically able to set (that sounded creepy).

Hey guys!

Thanks in advance!

Well, if you only have one day, it's relatively busy and you want to ride ALL the coasters, then yes it is definitely worth it. I would buy a Gold pass with X2 and do YOLOcoaster first, then reserve your way around the park.

This question is always asked, but without enough info. The answer can change on your goals, expectations, time and length of visit, personal circumstances, and etc, etc. For example, if you arrive at opening, you can ride X2, Tatsu, and Superman and possibly another ride with little waits. From then on, the waits will increase dramatically as the day goes on, but you will ride most. For some that's a good day, for others who can't wait an hour for a ride, it's terrible.

It all depends on a number of factors, but I've managed to ride every adult coaster except Goliath at least once before 2PM on a Saturday just by getting the gold pass early entry & high-tailing it over to FT, then getting over to X2 before the main gates open. If you're getting off X2 and heading up to Tatsu before the main rush is able to make it up that hill, you're golden.

By that point, you will have gotten FT, X2, and Tatsu, all on one of the first handful of trains out of the station with basically zero wait. At that point, head up to Ninja and then Superman, then circle back to hit Gold Rusher and Apocalypse. Here's where it gets a little more difficult if you're not a single rider. Both Riddler's Revenge and Green Lantern have single-rider lines that can drastically reduce your wait time. Depending on the length of the main queue and your desire to ride together or not, you may want to utilize the SR lines. Then hit Batman, Scream, and Colossus. LL:DoD is worth doing--same deal as RR & GL with the SR line.

Then you can either wait the 60-90 min for Goliath or go hit Viper & Revolution (same deal again with the SR lines). With an aggressive pace and a little bit of luck, it is possible to ride the 15 adult coasters, plus LL:DoD by early/mid-afternoon on a Saturday without a FP. What you do afterwards is up to you.

Getting a FP makes it so much easier though. As someone said above you can get a gold which all but eliminates waits on everything except X2, YOLO, and water rides (theyre on FP but usually have 30-45 min waits even for gold FP in summer). You can reserve your next ride while still in the station for the first one which speeds things up even more. With Gold or Platinum its usually 5-15min for almost all rides and if you consider time for station wait + walking to the next ride it makes practically everything a walkon.

I always promote the SR lines because I love them (I go to parks solo a lot) and ACS is right..but let me stress how dramatically the wait time is reduced for Riddlers and Green Lantern. Even when the standby lines are 2hr+ the Riddlers will be walk on and Green Lantern will probably be 10 minutes or less. It's a huge difference, so even if you have a small group it's worth it. Lex Luthor has one but you'll almost always wait 15-20 mins since because each gondola holds so many people it's it's easier for them to fit groups together and thus less likely that there will be empty seats, so for Lex if the standby line isn't more than 30-45 it's not worth it to use SR. Viper and Revolution have SR lines but I really don't know why...99% of the time there's next to no line anyway, I've never actually used those ones. I usually don't even use FP on those rides when I have it, there's no point.

I wish my other home parks (SFDK and CGA) had single rider lines..especially for Gold Striker at CGA. SFDK used to call for single riders on Superman when it was new but I haven't seen them do that in at least a year.

It all depends on a number of factors, but I've managed to ride every adult coaster except Goliath at least once before 2PM on a Saturday just by getting the gold pass early entry & high-tailing it over to FT, then getting over to X2 before the main gates open. If you're getting off X2 and heading up to Tatsu before the main rush is able to make it up that hill, you're golden.

By that point, you will have gotten FT, X2, and Tatsu, all on one of the first handful of trains out of the station with basically zero wait. At that point, head up to Ninja and then Superman, then circle back to hit Gold Rusher and Apocalypse. Here's where it gets a little more difficult if you're not a single rider. Both Riddler's Revenge and Green Lantern have single-rider lines that can drastically reduce your wait time. Depending on the length of the main queue and your desire to ride together or not, you may want to utilize the SR lines. Then hit Batman, Scream, and Colossus. LL:DoD is worth doing--same deal as RR & GL with the SR line.

This plan works IF early entry starts on time AND FT and X2 open with the park - no sure thing. Since FP is usually available day-of, you can defer the decision.

Hey guys!

Thanks in advance!

a question, and maybe a tip for those who have passes. one of the perks i see at http://sixflags.com/pass is buy one reg or gold flash pass get one free. when i log in, it specifically says no platinum. magic mountain is also referenced. what i'm interested in is, if anybody has bought a flash pass and been able to get the BOGO deal at another six flags that isn't the park they bought the pass at?

Rocky Mountain Construction Just posted this to facebook.

Rocky Mountain Construction

56 mins ·

We are now manufacturing track for our 2015 coasters-wish we could tell you more details....

We are also building another brand new track manufacturing facility and paint shop that will be about twice the size of the shop we built just two years ago! Exciting stuff happening at RMC!

Hey guys!

Thanks in advance!

a question, and maybe a tip for those who have passes. one of the perks i see at http://sixflags.com/pass is buy one reg or gold flash pass get one free. when i log in, it specifically says no platinum. magic mountain is also referenced. what i'm interested in is, if anybody has bought a flash pass and been able to get the BOGO deal at another six flags that isn't the park they bought the pass at?

To answer this, I don't think you can use that deal at other SF parks, unfortunately. I wish you could, I would certainly use my SFA deal at Gadv if I could. If anyone knows otherwise, please chime in.

Bring a friend free day today and they came in droves.

They sure did...

MINI-Trip Report:

Today I made my way up to the mountain to get one last ride on Backwards Colossus. I had no idea about the promotion going on and mistakenly figured folks would be MIA for Father's Day. Oh well.

I arrived shortly after 1P and parking was only available in the gravel overflow lot. Since I was pretty far away from the main entrance I opted to take the shuttle bus for the first time. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting but they do pack 'em in there like sardines. The automated audio spiel was surprisingly audible and informative.

After purchasing my ticket, I headed to the main gate. Unfortunately, everyone got held up for approximately 15mins due the scanners malfunctioning. Once we were finally was able to enter, I decided to buck the trend and get my funnel cake first. I asked them to add bacon (like Knott's) because bacon.. but that ish was straight boof. They literally semi-cooked a few strips and laid them on top of the mushy uh, dessert? I ate about a third of it before I tossed it. On a scale of 1 to 3 I would definitely rank Universal's Funnel Cake #1 (Light, tasty AND crispy), Knott's #2, and SFMM #5.

While finishing up my snack I could see that the line for FoOl 7hr0ttl3 was all the way through the switchbacks and out to the sign in the plaza. Thankfully, they had 2 emcee's from the stage giving away front of the line passes to the winners of their water balloon toss game. Nice touch. The new stage looks unfinished (to me) but I'm pretty sure that's all she wrote on FoOl 7hr0ttl3 Plaza. I skipped it altogether and headed towards Colossus. On the way I spotted Speedy Gonzales: Hot Rod Racers but can't tell if it's finished. The track circuit & lift hill are complete but the construction fencing around the perimeter remains. There's no permanent wall around the attraction either. I'm not sure what the exact opening date is but lately I've been hearing it promoted on local radio ads along with Bugs Bunny World's "Family Fun".

When I finally made it to Colossus it had a pretty long wait of about 40mins. I definitely enjoyed it and the reverse airtime. While on the lift I made an attempt to search for any signs of life re: construction. There was none, only the 1 or 2 pallets of lumber below the first turnaround. FYI: there was no signs of life near Apocalypse or north of the main lot (where they normally store new track or supports). All those areas (including the Boneyard) looked surprisingly clean.

Next up was Apocalypse. The ride is still relentless in it's speed and fun overall but it is definitely getting rougher every year. It doesn't appear to have any new track anywhere. It's all been bleached, faded, & dry rotted by the San Fernando Valley sun. I waiting in line for this ride about an hour and it sucked. They weren't letting anyone in the "pre-show" areas leaving guests to cook outside in the sun. It was so slow I thought they only had 1 train running but discovered they were actually were running both.

Since all the other rides were pretty much an hour plus wait I decided to call it a day & wrap it up. I came to ride Colossus backwards one last time and that happened so, yay.

Operational Notes:

1. A crew member of Colossus neglected to check the height of 2 different riders on 2 separate trains. The other crew member audibly called him out for this fail re: the 54" height requirement. Both kids were unlocked & excused from the ride. The ride op's response both times was, "I forgot" as he laughed.

2. Six Flags TV "Trivia" is nice. Cool to hear other guests engaged in the game.

3. All the outdoor speakers seemed to be working. Energetic music playing throughout the park. Samurai Summit's "Theme" music was playing on hillside behind the Fool Thr0ttl3 launch tunnel.

4. Security was present and highly visible on active bike patrol.

5. Park grounds, line queues, and restrooms were visibly clean.

6. Water balloon games & front of the line passes, thumbs up.

7. Water running from Hurricane Harbor into sidewalk.

8. Water dripping from Jet Stream onto mid/walk-way where there is now a "Wet Floor" yellow cone.

9. The shuttle bus driver on my return trip gave guests no warning that the exit doors open inward and not out as two people got pwned pretty good on their way out.

10. The majority of the park staff was pleasant and friendly today.

sfmm_overflow_lot_2_20140615.thumb.jpg.0053d70921cbcdabc5e4faa71afd36f7.jpg

sfmm_overflow_lot_1_20140615.thumb.jpg.c872eb0fbfd195d0796337dbe7508395.jpg

FoOl 7hr0ttl3

It's called YOLOcoaster, not Fool Throttle.

Soon they're gonna give it a makeover, call it YOLOSWAGCoaster, and advertise it as a new coaster.

Maybe FoOl 7hr0ttl3 is the new name of the coaster. You know, to connect more with the newer generation.

FoOl 7hr0ttl3

It's called YOLOcoaster, not Fool Throttle.

Soon they're gonna give it a makeover, call it YOLOSWAGCoaster, and advertise it as a new coaster.

Maybe FoOl 7hr0ttl3 is the new name of the coaster. You know, to connect more with the newer generation.

I usually just call it Throttle on this site to avoid that retarded filter.

The filter isn't going anywhere, since YOLOCoaster is a much better name than what Six Flags calls it!

I'm sure the posters here would complain regardless of whatever it was called seeing as how it was built here and not in CP.

There really isn't anything wrong with the name, I think it's perfect actually. I personally could do without the tacked-on "x-treme" theme but whatever, it's the same amazing coaster regardless.

I'm sure the posters here would complain regardless of whatever it was called seeing as how it was built here and not in CP.

There really isn't anything wrong with the name, I think it's perfect actually. I personally could do without the tacked-on "x-treme" theme but whatever, it's the same amazing coaster regardless.

Personally I don't think the name is that bad. I would imagine that this name would apply to a launch coaster and this one happens to have three. The whole ride including the lighting and audio effects in the tunnel give you the impression that, "Yeah, you're here, going upside down in a huge loop, launching back and forth, pedal to the medal!" Is it any worse than tacking some Superhero name on a ride or naming a ride something that has nothing to do with the experience simply for the sake of licensing?