TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I recently had a blood test and fainted (even though I looked away when they were doing it) and was wondering if this would be any cause for concern for a really intense ride like Goliath or Tatsu. (I’ve never been to Magic Mountain and have always wanted to go.) Thanks.

Don't ask a bunch of coaster enthusiasts for medical advice. It won't get you anywhere.

If it were me I'd ride it and see what happens but I'm not saying it's good advice, it's just what I'd do because I do dumb things.

^i305's turn goes very quickly compared to Goliath's very long helix.

I recently had a blood test and fainted (even though I looked away when they were doing it) and was wondering if this would be any cause for concern for a really intense ride like Goliath or Tatsu. (I’ve never been to Magic Mountain and have always wanted to go.) Thanks.

If I were you I might avoid Goliath, the helix might cause problems if you have circulation issues. It (Goliath) did a number on me Sunday and I may have to avoid rides for a while. Tatsu's pretzel loop can be very intense as well. But none of us are doctors, so I'd talk to yours before going. Hope this helped!

Try the hick maneuver. Fighter pilots do it to prevent blacking out. "When executing a "positive G" maneuver like turning upwards the force pushes the pilot down. The most serious consequence of this is that the blood in the pilot's body is also pulled down and into their extremities. If the forces are great enough and over a sufficient period of time this can lead to blackouts (called g-induced Loss Of Consciousness or G-LOC), because not enough blood is reaching the pilot's brain. To counteract this effect pilots are trained to tense their legs and abdominal muscles to restrict the "downward" flow of blood. This is known as the "grunt" or the "Hick maneuver", both names allude to the sounds the pilot makes, and is the primary method of resisting G-LOCs. " Video of hick maneuver....... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuqf_6oplMc

^^ That's totally not necessary on Goliath. All you have to do is tilt your head to the left so that your head remains upright in relation to the ground.

Depends on the person. Lots of people ride normally and have no problem. I rode it 5 times in a row last week without doing anything and I did fine.

I never had problems with positive-G's and blacking out in the past, but now I experience it quite often — and it doesn't take much to trigger it either. At SFMM, I have to be careful with Goliath's helix, the turn after the second loop on Batman, and even the transition from horizontal to vertical on Superman has caused it as well. With that said, none of these is that bad compared to other coasters I've ridden. The passing out from having blood drawn thing is psychosomatic (happens to me as well) and so it's not connected.

Anyone know anything about this SFMM leak? This was sent to me and I have no idea if it real or not. Did anyone else actually see this? Otherwise I'm thinking it's a fake.

PULLED THE IMAGE! This one has been declared a FAKE!

Edited by robbalvey

^i305's turn goes very quickly compared to Goliath's very long helix.

If I were you I might avoid Goliath, the helix might cause problems if you have circulation issues. It (Goliath) did a number on me Sunday and I may have to avoid rides for a while. Tatsu's pretzel loop can be very intense as well. But none of us are doctors, so I'd talk to yours before going. Hope this helped!

Try the hick maneuver. Fighter pilots do it to prevent blacking out. "When executing a "positive G" maneuver like turning upwards the force pushes the pilot down. The most serious consequence of this is that the blood in the pilot's body is also pulled down and into their extremities. If the forces are great enough and over a sufficient period of time this can lead to blackouts (called g-induced Loss Of Consciousness or G-LOC), because not enough blood is reaching the pilot's brain. To counteract this effect pilots are trained to tense their legs and abdominal muscles to restrict the "downward" flow of blood. This is known as the "grunt" or the "Hick maneuver", both names allude to the sounds the pilot makes, and is the primary method of resisting G-LOCs. " Video of hick maneuver....... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuqf_6oplMc

I find that just flexing the PC muscles (Kegels) you can achieve the same effect. Bonus for all you premarital sex having millennials. It also prevents premature ejaculation. So flex away! https://bestforlife.com/product/mpt/?gclid=CNCmtZLrzscCFVY9gQodmM0Jfw

How effective should Dramamine All Day Less Drowsy be on the really intense rides at Magic Mountain, such as Goliath and Tatsu?

It definitely helps with nausea, but I figured out what helps even more without taking it. Not eating at the park!! I only eat before I get there and I also try not to over drink fluids while I'm there. I try doing all my hydrating the day before. Usually I'll buy like a bottle of water and a gatorade at some point during the visit to keep the electrolytes up (especially if it's hot) and that's it. If you do have to eat, take at least an hour break before riding anything with inversions, especially Tatsu (I recommend 2-3 hrs after eating).

Everyone's body is different, but this is what has worked for me

How effective should Dramamine All Day Less Drowsy be on the really intense rides at Magic Mountain, such as Goliath and Tatsu?

I have a friend who gets motion sickness and he always takes Dramamine before going to the park and it never seems to help much, but not everyone is the same. For motion sickness Goliath and Tatsu aren't bad relatively speaking. The one that affected him the most that I've seen is Ninja due to the swinging motion, though he hasn't tried Green Lantern, I'm guessing that'd be worse.

I take Bonine instead of Dramamine, and it's always worked well for me. Rode most everything at Magic Mountain when I visited and never once felt queasy. Also keep drinking water, and you'll be fine.

just an opinion here. "if you have to dope yourself up on med's to ride coasters, you most likely shouldn't be riding them". good lord!

Hahahahaha........ That's Good!

No in all seriousness! You shouldn't have to pop a pill just to ride coasters, that is just plain wrong. Your health is not worth it, so don't!

You want excitement, pop the little blue pill.