TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Here's another change to the Twisted Colossus layout. The green track coming out of the stall will rotate the other way than originally depicted. The video renders show the stall first rotating C-Cwise, pausing for the stall, then exiting C-Cwise again. Here you can see it will actually REVERSE direction of rotation and exit Cwise (similar to the stalls on Outlaw Run, Goliath, and Wicked Cyclone). What this really means is due to the right turn proceding the stall, the track will have to twist even more than originally depicted. In other words, the green side will be EVEN TWISTIER than shown! Yay!(Pictures from Our Mountain Facebook)

image.jpg.5aef23aee1b1b68fc68742660a41db31.jpg

image.jpg.23c3a5e8bcebf41f2ec866045320b443.jpg

That inversion looks great! A bit off topic, one thing I noticed is how big Viper looks in the second picture. You'd think that it would appear smaller since it is all the way across the park, but I guess that 188ft does a lot to make it look really tall even from so far away. Maybe my perspective is just messed up, haha.

That inversion looks great! A bit off topic, one thing I noticed is how big Viper looks in the second picture. You'd think that it would appear smaller since it is all the way across the park, but I guess that 188ft does a lot to make it look really tall even from so far away. Maybe my perspective is just messed up, haha.

Viper is also on a hill so it looks bigger from flatter areas of the park

The change in roll direction seems odd to me. The way it was before, the two trains never broke line-of-sight during the element, but now, the green track and its supports will be in between the two trains during the exit of the element.

^^Unless X2 becomes impossible to maintain I don't see it ever leaving the park. The ride is over ten years old, and even with several impressive coasters built in that time span it is still the most popular ride in the park.

As for Twisted Colossus, that's a pretty surprising change. Although the stall originally looked more like an elongated Zero-G Roll, the twist direction made sense to have as little between the trains as possible. I'm interested to see if they still cross the tracks in the same manner (at the apex) or have the green track unroll before curving over the blue track (which seems more likely with this roll direction change). I guess it's also possible there's no crossing here, but as that would require some pretty significant changes in the remainder of the layout I doubt that's the case.

The change in roll direction seems odd to me. The way it was before, the two trains never broke line-of-sight during the element, but now, the green track and its supports will be in between the two trains during the exit of the element.

I agree that it's odd, but I think the change is positive in terms of intensity and experience. I just want to see more of it come together. It should be completed pretty soon!

Yeah I dont see X2's popularity waning at all any time soon. It's remained the park's most popular coaster since 2002, which is incredibly impressive. Consider the park spent something like 10 million dollars to redo it in 2008 instead of scrap it - and this is Magic Mountain we're talking about - that's how committed they are to keeping it, and I don't blame them. I'm not sure how popular Eejanaika and Dinoconda are compared to the other coasters at their park but if it's anything like X2 I'd think parks would want to build these things. They may be ridiculously expensive to build and maintain, but at least at SFMM it looks like it's worth the effort.

It's weird...I know in the animation that the Top Gun Stall was basically a 360 degree roll with an upside down stall, but for some reason I've been anticipating it to roll out of the element the same way that it rolled into it with. It just seemed more RMCish in my head. I'm glad to see that that is actually the case!

Here's another change to the Twisted Colossus layout. The green track coming out of the stall will rotate the other way than originally depicted

SUPER happy to hear this! I mentioned previously (somewhere on TPR) that I always wished that stall would exit out the same direction it went in (like Goliath RMC)... and now that wish (seems?) to be coming true!!! I'm curious if this will affect the layout of the rest of the ride. All of the little modifications so far seem to be for the better (minus the now unbanked blue-to-green MCBR transition). Hope we get more surprises like this as they start to wrap up track construction.

In terms of cost, buying a chain at the beginning is actually cheaper since the original chain is already being manufactured. It's more expensive to do a one off later on, since whomever is making the chain has to reset the tooling for just that job again.

For some reason Arrow coasters always look larger than B&M's of equal or similar height.

All this talk about X2 has me wondering just how much more it costs to maintain versus other traditional coasters. I wonder if in future years if X2's popularity wanes, will Six Flags remove it.

I would expect SFMM to remove Viper, before even thinking of removing X2. Viper is much older, and is much less poplar than X2, even if popularity were to dwindle for X2. Besides, removing Viper would open up a lot of space for expansion.

Is it bad that I really like Viper? I found it to be quite smooth for an Arrow mega looper and it was actually a lot of fun.

I still enjoy Viper. Plus it's a people eater, I would be surprised to see SFMM do anything with it in the near future.

Firstly, sorry if this is in the wrong place, I’m new to the forum!

I am an enthusiast who lives in the UK and I’m lucky enough to be visiting Six Flags Magic Mountain this summer in July. However, I am trying to plan the day in as much depth as possible and I’ve been struggling to find recent information on which to do first, where restaurants are and which are best and whether a Flash Pass would be needed (as I am only visiting for one day).

Firstly, which coaster is best to start with? I hear that X2, Tatsu and Full Throttle can get very busy and Twisted Colossus will be undoubted massive queues whatever time. If it is any help I think I am visiting on a weekday.

Secondly, which restaurants are best and where would I find them? Also, are there any benches/places where people can sit if they are not in a ride queue or restaurant? One of the people visiting with me has vertigo and so cannot ride the large coasters.

If it helps, I have a list of rides which I want to do (I’m probably not doing re-rides though as I’m only there for a day). They are Twisted Colossus, X2 (obviously), Tatsu, Full Throttle, Superman – Escape from Krypton, Goliath, Riddlers Revenge and Scream. Would I need a flash pass to do one ride on these in one day?

If there any very good rides I’m missing off the list that I should do or any that are on the list I shouldn’t do, please tell me!

PS will the queues for Goliath be any longer because of the Monster Hunter trains? And I assume most who get off Twisted Colossus will go on Scream or Goliath straight after…

I agree that it's odd, but I think the change is positive in terms of intensity and experience. I just want to see more of it come together. It should be completed pretty soon!

Did it really change? The stall was finished today, and to me it looks like it was always suppose to.