TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

The change in roll direction seems odd to me. The way it was before, the two trains never broke line-of-sight during the element, but now, the green track and its supports will be in between the two trains during the exit of the element.

I agree that it's odd, but I think the change is positive in terms of intensity and experience. I just want to see more of it come together. It should be completed pretty soon!

Did it really change? The stall was finished today, and to me it looks like it was always suppose to.

Yes. Can you tell now?

colossusold.jpg.7db9bae33911b612cf2b9a93579bd09b.jpg

Old

colossusnew.jpg.991520db9142921a18e7a4a4e1b46f01.jpg

Vs. New

^ it's kinda hard to tell from that photo, but I'll take your word for it.

Edit: Okay I see the change now.

Yeah it's easy for your eyes to be tricked on that one! Now the green track crosses the blue a little weirdly, but I believe the green track will have a much more fluid (and quick) twist into the twisted bunny hop under the blue zero g. It's great to see all this track go up so fast, but I am still impatient and just want to see these final elements get constructed already!!

Look at the size of the blue hill next to the lift, after only a couple hundred feet of track. Looks like crazy airtime to me.

There are no trims on any existing RMC's yet, right? Kind of crazy for a company to be making nothing but heavy hitters (not sure how Goliath SFGAm fits in there) for coaster fans.

Look at the size of the blue hill next to the lift, after only a couple hundred feet of track. Looks like crazy airtime to me.

There are no trims on any existing RMC's yet, right? Kind of crazy for a company to be making nothing but heavy hitters (not sure how Goliath SFGAm fits in there) for coaster fans.

i'm guessing you mean the blue drop under the top gun? that should be awesome. my guess is your estimation of a couple hundred feet of track is a little short if that's what you're talking about.

i loved SFGAm's Goliath, even as short as it is. that drop is awesome.

Kind of a cool time we live in when we think a 180 foot drop is short

TC looks great though! Wish I could get out there to ride it within the next few years but I doubt that will happen.

Kind of a cool time we live in when we think a 180 foot drop is short

TC looks great though! Wish I could get out there to ride it within the next few years but I doubt that will happen.

yeah, that did come out wrong. i did mean track length, not drop height.

Everyone's going crazy over the green side, but the blue High Five > Headchopper Drop > speed hill > Top Gun hill > Zero G is going to be seriously fudging insane.

... don't forget about the outer bank

With that said though... the green side is ridiculous.... outer bank high five > twisted double-down > zero g stall

Now that I write it all out, the blue side doesn't look so lopsided (in terms of elements) as I was originally thinking

#cantwait

#stillteamgreen

Would I need a flash pass to do one ride on these in one day?
I may not be able to provide a lot of advice on Magic Mountain its self, but whenever I go to a Six Flags park I ALWAYS buy "THE FLASH Pass Platinum." It does not matter if I have never been to the park, or if I have been to the park 50 times. THE FLASH Pass Platinum not only cuts your wait time by 90%, but it also allows for re-rides on specific attractions without ever having to get out of your seat. With that being said, you are only going to be at the park for one day, and there is a lot to do at the park, I would spend the extra money and get THE FLASH Pass Platinum. It is the best way to ensure you get to do as much as you want while you are at the park. Now not all attractions are available for THE FLASH Pass but if you use THE FLASH Pass right then you can physically wait in line for a ride that does not allow THE FLASH Pass while you are always waiting in a line using THE FLASH Pass. That way you can ride more attractions in just one day.

As it stands THE FLASH Pass Platinum is currently available for use on:

Full Throttle and SUPERMAN: Escape from Krypton (available for single ride on THE FLASH Pass Platinum only; limited availability).

Apocalypse

BATMAN The Ride

Goldrusher

Goliath

GREEN LANTERN: First Flight

Jet Stream

LEX LUTHOR: Drop of Doom

Revolution

RIDDLER's Revenge

Roaring Rapids

Scream

Tatsu

Tidal Wave

Viper

X2 (available for an additional fee on THE FLASH Pass Gold & Platinum, limited availability)

(From SixFlags.com)

With all of that being said I would strongly suggest you get THE FLASH Pass Platinum. It is the best way to make the most out of your visit. (At least that is how I always experience Six Flags Parks, and I have never been disappointed, or felt like I wasted my money.)

Would I need a flash pass to do one ride on these in one day?
I may not be able to provide a lot of advice on Magic Mountain its self, but whenever I go to a Six Flags park I ALWAYS buy "THE FLASH Pass Platinum." It does not matter if I have never been to the park, or if I have been to the park 50 times. THE FLASH Pass Platinum not only cuts your wait time by 90%, but it also allows for re-rides on specific attractions without ever having to get out of your seat. With that being said, you are only going to be at the park for one day, and there is a lot to do at the park, I would spend the extra money and get THE FLASH Pass Platinum. It is the best way to ensure you get to do as much as you want while you are at the park. Now not all attractions are available for THE FLASH Pass but if you use THE FLASH Pass right then you can physically wait in line for a ride that does not allow THE FLASH Pass while you are always waiting in a line using THE FLASH Pass. That way you can ride more attractions in just one day.

As it stands THE FLASH Pass Platinum is currently available for use on:

YOLOcoaster and SUPERMAN: Escape from Krypton (available for single ride on THE FLASH Pass Platinum only; limited availability).

Apocalypse

BATMAN The Ride

Goldrusher

Goliath

GREEN LANTERN: First Flight

Jet Stream

LEX LUTHOR: Drop of Doom

Revolution

RIDDLER's Revenge

Roaring Rapids

Scream

Tatsu

Tidal Wave

Viper

X2 (available for an additional fee on THE FLASH Pass Gold & Platinum, limited availability)

(From SixFlags.com)

With all of that being said I would strongly suggest you get THE FLASH Pass Platinum. It is the best way to make the most out of your visit. (At least that is how I always experience Six Flags Parks, and I have never been disappointed, or felt like I wasted my money.)

I bet Twisted Colossus will be an upcharge, if not it'll definitely be Platinum.. I went to Great America and got a Platinum last year and got 2 rides on Goliath, so maybe they'll do it like that and allow 2 rides, or move Full Throttle or Superman off of 1 ride only.

Firstly, which coaster is best to start with? I hear that X2, Tatsu and YOLOcoaster can get very busy and Twisted Colossus will be undoubted massive queues whatever time. If it is any help I think I am visiting on a weekday.

It'll be very interesting once TC opens to see how the crowds will disperse. My strategy has always been to watch if they are running test trains on X2 when the park is about to open, if it IS, then I run towards X2. If not, I go to Full Throttle (it's right at the entrance to the park). Regardless, Tatsu would be coaster #2. Then Superman. After that, I go to all the rides at the back of the park (Apocalypse, Riddler's, Batman, Lex Luthor, Goliath). Since TC will most likely be open by July, I'd say go to TC first, then Scream, Goliath, and then do all the rides at the back. You'll want Flashpass at that point to do Tatsu/X2/Full Throttle.

Secondly, which restaurants are best and where would I find them?

If you're talking about inside the park... they all sorta suck. I hear good things about the Full Throttle Sports Bar, but haven't been. Johnny Rockets at the back of the park is not so bad (it's a chain outside the park), and the BBQ place near Riddler's is not too bad. Food service is not SFMM's strong point. Outside the park, not far away is In-N-Out, a California institution. If you can make that happen, I would HIGHLY recommend you get there for dinner after a day at SFMM.

Also, are there any benches/places where people can sit if they are not in a ride queue or restaurant?

There are benches all over the place, so sitting won't be too much of an issue. I've never had an issue finding a seat if I needed one.

If there any very good rides I’m missing off the list that I should do or any that are on the list I shouldn’t do, please tell me!

X2, Tatsu, Full Throttle, and TC are all MUST do rides. The next tier for me would be Superman, Batman, Riddlers, Scream, Lex Luthor, Goliath. And if you get around to it: Viper, Ninja, Apocalypse, Green Lantern. You skip all other rides at the park Personally from this list, I skip Riddlers, Goliath, Ninja, Viper, Apocalypse, Green Lantern and Batman.

PS will the queues for Goliath be any longer because of the Monster Hunter trains? And I assume most who get off Twisted Colossus will go on Scream or Goliath straight after…

The new wraps on the trains have not changed the wait queue for the ride. The ride is still popular with the general public. Once TC opens, I'm sure the crowds will do TC+Scream together, and from there it all depends ... Batman/Green Lantern are next to each other to the west, and Lex/Goliath is adjacent to the east. If you get to TC first in the morning, I would do Scream after TC, then Lex, then go to the back of the park (Batman/Green Lantern/Riddlers/Apocalypse).

Let's see...

I am an enthusiast who lives in the UK and I’m lucky enough to be visiting Six Flags Magic Mountain this summer in July. However, I am trying to plan the day in as much depth as possible and I’ve been struggling to find recent information on which to do first, where restaurants are and which are best and whether a Flash Pass would be needed (as I am only visiting for one day).

Firstly, which coaster is best to start with? I hear that X2, Tatsu and YOLOcoaster can get very busy and Twisted Colossus will be undoubted massive queues whatever time. If it is any help I think I am visiting on a weekday.

This is a really difficult question to answer at this time because the draw of Twisted Colossus is not yet known. It will definitely be a popular ride, but if run as well as SFMM is predicting it will have higher capacity than two of the other three you mentioned. At the moment, I would probably say Full Throttle, then Twisted Colossus, as I'm not confident that Twisted Colossus will create a sprinting match, but we'll have to wait until it opens to know for sure. Tatsu has the highest capacity of these coasters but it will still have a lengthy line all day. X2 is best mid-afternoon as it isn't uncommon for it to have a delayed opening. It would probably be good to post this question again in the SFMM thread around late June when the effects of Twisted Colossus are better understood.

Secondly, which restaurants are best and where would I find them? Also, are there any benches/places where people can sit if they are not in a ride queue or restaurant? One of the people visiting with me has vertigo and so cannot ride the large coasters.

Six Flags isn't known for their food, so no matter where you go don't expect anything noteworthy. Inside the park, the best options are those around Full Throttle Plaza. Loaded Dogs is probably my favorite quick service location in the park, and while I haven't tried the Full Throttle Sports Bar I've heard good things about it. Toward the back of the park, I usually stop at Johnny Rockets, which is better than the Six Flags counter service locations. Everywhere else is about the same. Outside the park, there are a few restaurants right down the street, a bunch of fast food a couple exits up the freeway (Lyons Ave.), and the Valencia Town Center a couple miles down the street. If you will be leaving the park at a reasonable time, I highly suggest eating dinner outside. As for seating, there's plenty of benches and tables around the park.

If it helps, I have a list of rides which I want to do (I’m probably not doing re-rides though as I’m only there for a day). They are Twisted Colossus, X2 (obviously), Tatsu, YOLOcoaster, Superman – Escape from Krypton, Goliath, Riddlers Revenge and Scream. Would I need a flash pass to do one ride on these in one day? If there any very good rides I’m missing off the list that I should do or any that are on the list I shouldn’t do, please tell me!

For a first time visitor I would use the following list:

Must Ride: X2, Goliath, Apocalypse the Ride, Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom, Tatsu, Full Throttle, Twisted Colossus, Riddler's Revenge

Second Tier: Batman The Ride, Roaring Rapids (if you're up for getting soaked), Superman: Escape from Krypton

Time Permitting: Everything else

On a typical July weekday, you will usually have enough time to do everything in the must ride list and second tier list once each if you don't do any other attractions. Expect lines for Full Throttle, Goliath, Superman: Escape from Krypton, Tatsu, Twisted Colossus, and X2 to be around 90 minutes in the middle of the day, with other major rides in the 30-60 minute range. If the day is really hot (over 100 degrees), lines may be a little shorter (except at water rides). Given that you are traveling all the way from the UK to visit the park and probably won't be returning for at least five years, I highly recommend investing in a Gold Flash Pass unless money is an issue. If you are forced to visit on a weekend, a Flash Pass may be mandatory in order to do all of the park's headliners.

PS will the queues for Goliath be any longer because of the Monster Hunter trains? And I assume most who get off Twisted Colossus will go on Scream or Goliath straight after…

It may have slightly longer lines, but not enough to cause a significant impact. Twisted Colossus will definitely increase crowds at Scream, but probably won't affect Goliath too much as it's a bit of a walk to go back there.

^ Most coasters with a drop that big reach 60 mph or more.

I'm not going to argue this anymore. It's real-world physics, with air resistance and kinetic friction. Any number over ~57 mph is just theoretical and/or inflated. Just because a park says a ride can reach a speed doesn't mean it actually does.

^ Maybe that's why a 125 foot drop only get the ride to a speed of 57 mph

Clearly, it's slower than normal. Let's all ask I305forever any other engineering questions...

Mega Coaster, Hamanako Pal Pal: Ht- 124.7 ft, Spd- 51 mph

Big Boom, Nasu Highland: Ht- 126 ft, Spd- 54.7 mph

Anaconda, Kings Dominion: Ht- 144, Spd- 50 mph

It's actually a reasonable speed, you have no reason to be disappointed.

^ Maybe that's why a 125 foot drop only get the ride to a speed of 57 mph

Clearly, it's slower than normal. Let's all ask I305forever any other engineering questions...

Mega Coaster, Hamanako Pal Pal: Ht- 124.7 ft, Spd- 51 mph

Big Boom, Nasu Highland: Ht- 126 ft, Spd- 54.7 mph

Anaconda, Kings Dominion: Ht- 144, Spd- 50 mph

It's actually a reasonable speed, you have no reason to be disappointed.

It does seem a tad slow to me. Silver Bullet's drop is only 109 ft, and at a very shallow angle, but it reaches 55mph. One would think that an extra 15 feet, plus a much steeper drop would yield more than 2 mph of extra speed. Maybe TCs trains just aren't that heavy?

Edited by singforfood