TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

At WCB some people were telling me how rough Apocolypse had gotten and when I finally rode it at night, I was pleasantly surprised how fun the ride was. I didn't feel it was very rough at all. It's a wooden coaster, it's not supposed to be as smooth as butter. I swear, some people really over-exaggerate the roughness of a coaster. I haven't ridden Ghostrider in several years, but I know a rough coaster. I rode Stampida at Port Aventura in 2012 and that ride has gotten rough as f@. Now that was a coaster that used to be really fun ( especially since they race both sides) and now isn't re-rideable. I can only imagine how bad Ghostrider has gotten.

Apocalypse isn't as rough as GhostRider at all. However, I have found Apocalypse to be much rougher than what it used to be, and during my ride a few weeks ago, I chose not to re-ride it even with a 5-minute wait. Kind of strange since Apocalypse was running fine earlier this year.

I never rode Apocalypse when it first opened (it was closed on my 2010 visit to the park), but when I rode it during night ERT at WCB I was able to ride it three times in a row without getting off. Apocaypse was very re-rideable. I would have ridden it more times but I also wanted to ride Tatsu.

I like how Disneyland had RSR closed and everyone game them a pass for techincal difficulties but YOLOcoaster closed? The park should have told everyone and screwed up the operations.
I know! SFMM does has problems and is far from perfect, but they get an usually high amount of crap and criticism. I can't think of a thread on here that has more complaining than this one.

X2 has been closed for a much longer time than RSR, so it doesn't surprise me that Six Flags would put that on their website for a ride that has been closed for many months.

The thing is, RSR is a highly complex ride as where X2 is simply a roller coaster. You would think it's the other way around.

Yeah, X2 is simply a roller coaster just like Revolution or Gold Rusher. There is nothing special or technically unique about it.

As far as I can tell, one of the two trains on Apocalypse runs much smoother than the other. This might be why it seems so inconsistent.
Interesting observation. I haven't heard this before but if this is true then they were running the smooth one at WCB.

However, remember the temporary shade structure they put over the station? It's completely gone! The entire apparatus and everything! So now it's back to looking like it did in opening day again...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does this mean that YOLOcoaster is finally getting a permanent station structure?

Yes, the park filed for the permit a few weeks ago.

Glad to hear that. Better late than never!

However, remember the temporary shade structure they put over the station? It's completely gone! The entire apparatus and everything! So now it's back to looking like it did in opening day again...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does this mean that YOLOcoaster is finally getting a permanent station structure?

I'd say this means we can stop the "better than nothing" jokes, but I'm positive it'll be resurrected in the future.

-Train 1 on Apocalypse was quite rough

Train 2 seems to provide a ''smoother" ride. Train 1 seems to have this relentless vibration thus resulting in a rougher ride at least that's what I've noticed on the few rides I've had on Apocalypse this year.

-Tried Green Lantern again and almost got castrated

It's the one ride, for whatever reason I just cant enjoy and the only time I rode it was 2011 and I never looked back.

^I was prepared for the worst when I rode GL but actually really liked it. We even flipped a zilion times at the end and hung upside down in the station for 5 minutes.

The only ride I can't do is Tatsu. For some reason or another the pretzel loop just completely disorients me. Any tips on where to look or what to do to prevent this?

^I was prepared for the worst when I rode GL but actually really liked it. We even flipped a zilion times at the end and hung upside down in the station for 5 minutes.

The only ride I can't do is Tatsu. For some reason or another the pretzel loop just completely disorients me. Any tips on where to look or what to do to prevent this?

Some people seem to get good rides on GL but for some reason the multiple rides in 2011 just kept getting worse so I stopped riding it.

As for Tatsu I would recommend the front so you can focus on the track in front of you, although I have never experienced any disorientation so I might be the wrong person to answer. Sometimes Goliath's helix disorients me but I usually just close my eyes this only occurs after multiple laps on Goliath.

I'm sure it is great when it flips, which is what it is supposed to do! But SFMM had to go ahead and add weights, so for the most part you don't flip on a ride designed to flip and instead get beat to hell as a result.

I know several people will have opposing opinions on this, but I really wish CF would have bought Magic Mountain when they had the chance.

I didn't know this was an viable option in the past. That would've been a bad idea IMO. As much as people bitch about the park here, it's my favorite park here in the U.S.

I only ride in the back, since I am not a fan of the front few rows having little intensity - in the front is where anyone should sit, if the ride is not enjoyable, disorients you, or makes you feel sick... I enjoy pushing a lot of G's like on "Mission to Mars" any many others...still haven't blacked out like many claim on i305...

100% agreed. It still baffles me months later that, during my visit back in July, they would have one train operation on Scream and Lex Luthor closed.

I planned my trip this summer with SFMM being the focus after my great visit back in 2006, and with Disneyland being just an 'add-on.' If and when I eventually return to California, DL will definitely be the focus, and SFMM the 'afterthought add-on' park.

OMG, they had a ride down for a day due to technical difficulties and one of the least popular coasters in the park (out of 17) had one train running for whatever reason (probably one was getting rehab'd or had issues). How baffling!

I guess I could say I'm a bit baffled at how they keep so many of their coasters running throughout the year!

I know several people will have opposing opinions on this, but I really wish CF would have bought Magic Mountain when they had the chance.

Considering what has happened to CF since Matt Ouimet became the CEO of the chain, and the current state of SFMM, I agree with you.

Considering MM's close proximity to Knott's, CF probably would have kept the park open for a few years, close it, and than liquidate it.

I'm sure it is great when it flips, which is what it is supposed to do! But SFMM had to go ahead and add weights, so for the most part you don't flip on a ride designed to flip and instead get beat to hell as a result.

If I may ask, what exactly did SFMM do to Green Lantern to dumb it down?

Considering what has happened to CF since Matt Ouimet became the CEO of the chain, and the current state of SFMM, I agree with you.

Count me in on this too. The park would've been amazing right now.

Also imagine what Anhieser Busch could've done with that park. Florida has Africa, Williamsburg has Europe, imagine if they turned SFMM into Busch Gardens Asia. A lot of the Asian theming is already there.

100% agreed. It still baffles me months later that, during my visit back in July, they would have one train operation on Scream and Lex Luthor closed.

I planned my trip this summer with SFMM being the focus after my great visit back in 2006, and with Disneyland being just an 'add-on.' If and when I eventually return to California, DL will definitely be the focus, and SFMM the 'afterthought add-on' park.

OMG, they had a ride down for a day due to technical difficulties and one of the least popular coasters in the park (out of 17) had one train running for whatever reason (probably one was getting rehab'd or had issues). How baffling!

I guess I could say I'm a bit baffled at how they keep so many of their coasters running throughout the year!

What? Lex was down the entire week I was there, plus however many days before/after. And didn't Scream just resume multiple train operations a couple months ago? That's, what, a solid 3-5 months of single train operations, most of which during the park's busiest times. I don't care what your opinion is on the ride's quality, Scream should be a no-brainer to run at full strength in MID-JULY, because of how many people it can potentially chew through.

Yeah, I'll get on SFMM 's case about a lot of things, but a couple of coasters being down in December is not one of them

If that was directed at me, keep in mind that I'm referring to my visits which occurred back in mid-July, not some dead day in December.

Edited by FeelTheFORCE

That would be all well and good if every other coaster was running efficiently with a good crew, and the logic used behind management's decisions actually made sense. I know, a Flashpass would just solve that problem, right? I'm all for skip the line passes, but it sort of defeats the purpose when you're trying to gauge the amount of people in lines around the park, and what would normally amount to a 15 minute wait at any other park, ends up being over an hour at SFMM. Baffling!

From what I've been told by a few locals, the ops are told to keep the cars balanced as much as possibly to minimize excessive flipping. Apparently cars coming back to the station upside down have to get flipped back up by maintenance or something. It happened often so they had to stop.

^I've had a few of those "perfectly balanced" rides where the car won't even remotely rock. Put all the wrong forces at all the wrong spots, and ended getting pretty banged up. On the rides where it flipped a few times, it ended up being quite enjoyable; unfortunately, it's rare for the ops to let those happen.

From what I've been told by a few locals, the ops are told to keep the cars balanced as much as possibly to minimize excessive flipping. Apparently cars coming back to the station upside down have to get flipped back up by maintenance or something. It happened often so they had to stop.

Well, they probably would have had the ops do that anyway, but the real dumbing down was them adding weights to the cars so that they didn't flip as easily. Before that, the ride spun like crazy.

EDIT: I guess the consensus (and mine) is that the GP couldn't handle the ride and complained and the park didn't want to continue to deal with it.