TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Disney's Animal Kingdom Discussion Thread

I absolutely love WDW's FP system. I'm glad Disneyland is slowing making their FP system better, but WDW's system is so much better than anything out there. Last time I was there, we had a pretty large group and it was so easy to get FP's and change them and split groups and everything.

I agree. I’ve had 2 great experiences with FP+ and one decent experience. The only downside was it is a little difficult to be spontaneous with FP+. My last visit was during a busy season & we didn’t know we were going till weeks before. When I can book my rides, it does make me a lot more relaxed though which I love. I book my coasters at night & get to relax until then, riding attractions that are not as popular. I know it’s not a good thing, but because most of parks don’t have much in quantity of rides, I’m usually able to book the only rides I feel are must-see attractions and everything else is bonus. That’s going to change in a few years when all the additions are open. At Disneyland it would be more difficult since the park is stacked with rides.

At Disneyland I’m usually the one running around to get Fastpasses for the family & it can get a bit annoying. If the Maxpass remains $10 during my next visit I’m definitely planning on utilizing it. Seems so worth it!

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't specific to AK, but rather based on recent discussion. We're going to WDW Oct.'18. Having been to DL twice for extended stays in the past two years, I became a wizard at manipulating their old system. Now, WDW is different...and I think I understand the refresh situation no problem. However I saw in a recent post something like "remember we were a 2 person fast-paced party"...I'm guessing that refers to the fact that doing it with "only 2" is easier than larger groups. Just making sure that it wasn't something else (we're a group of three).

Also on the fence about MNSSHP. Done the DL version twice and loved it. BUT the reviews of MK version underwhelmed me. BUT, with the park closing at 6pm 4 of our 6 nights there...starting to think the crowds on the other 2 nights will be so bad I'll almost to do the party one night.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Do the party. You won't regret it. My one time to do it was easily my 2nd favorite day on a vacation ever (1st being a marathon day at MK for my daughter's 5th bday). You can't beat the atmosphere, the candy, the parade, and the lack of lines.

• 4 weeks later...

Today TPR was at the Animal Kingdom 20th Anniversary Celebration! Here's some photos & videos from today's event! The video includes some clips of the "fun" that was had, a full interview with legendary Walt Disney Imagineer Joe Rohde, and a full onride of Expedition Everest featuring yours truly! Enjoy!

And remember "Party for the Planet" is going on RIGHT NOW at Animal Kingdom and if you missed those details, they can all be found here HERE!

DbY_-OqVAAE_tbx.jpg

Good morning from Disney’s Animal Kingdom! We are here for their 20th Anniversary Celebration and Earth Day 2018!

DbZEA8pVwAAn9kN.jpg

We are at the Festival of the Lion King theater for the Animal Kingdom 20th celebration event!

DbZLiQgVwAEk4_r.jpg

Celebration is about to begin!

DbZOQLCVwAA7khe.jpg

The celebration has started with some amazing Animal Kingdom entertainment!

DbZTazNUwAIIivj.jpg

Mickey Mouse tipping his hat to Joe Rohde during the celebration event was my favorite part of the whole presentation! Love this!

DbZgghXU0AACV6P.jpg

We just got to interview Joe Rohde! He’s always a pleasure to talk to! His stories are wonderful and we can’t wait to share them with all of you!

DbZmMvCVAAEAgBD.jpg

DbZmMu_U0AIQrTg.jpg

Here are the event cupcakes and they are amazing! I love the Tree of Life cupcake!

DbZoyyIV0AAk7TU.jpg

I love running into TPR fans at the parks! Please go follow @shawngorlando on Twitter! He’s awesome!!!

DbZtOLoV0AAaWR8.jpg

DbZtOLuVAAAE0zY.jpg

DbZtOLlVMAAHqGg.jpg

Here’s some concept art from Donald’s Dino-Bash which will include 7 new character meet & greet areas! Awesome to see Chip n Dale in new outfits!

DbZvRVJUwAIYeK4.jpg

We are about to see the new Up! A Great Bird Adventure! This new show officially opens TODAY at Animal Kingdom!

DbZyfvAWkAAynI6.jpg

Hey kids, look! We are trending today!

DbZ07dSW4AE_nKQ.jpg

We got to check out the new Utility Suit character in Pandora! Very impressive!

DbaD7W6U0AAK9Mj.jpg

We just got to see the new Up! A Great Bird Adventure show! Super fun and cute! Take your kids!

[twitter]

[/twitter]

Dbag6CtXUAENaCY.jpg

Just ran into more TPR Fans! And @DejesusJayden is drinking my favorite Pandora drink! Awesome!

DbajtlZX4AYxaov.jpg

DbajtlzWsAA6c1q.jpg

Dbajtl3XkAA_Wa0.jpg

Look, I’ll be honest... I don’t even really like “simulator” rides but Flight of Passage is absolutely INCREDIBLE! In fact, it’s one of the best attractions Disney has ever made!

Dbard52U0AAo1Bd.jpg

Animal Kingdom’s answer to Matterhorn is impressive looking IMO!

Fun Fact! The “Naked Mole Rats” have been at Disney’s Animal Kingdom for 20 years! (They are also my favorite animal at the park!)

[twitter]

[/twitter]

Dba21vVU0AA9xGq.jpg

Dba21vTU0AEa0Cx.jpg

Dba21vYVQAAT1p-.jpg

DbbhB3qU8AE1Bc3.jpg

It has been so awesome running into so many TPR friends today celebrating Animal Kingdom's 20th!

DbZX-7TUQAAFkbX.jpg

We are giving away some of these 20th Anniversary maps on our Twitter! Go find out how to win one!

DbbBZ6LU0AEB7n3.jpg

DbbBZ6QVQAAPHIU.jpg

DbbBZ6MVAAAV7Oa.jpg

The new “Up! A Great Bird Adventure” show was super cute! Russell & Dug were awesome! And they had amazing birds!

DbbGz-3X0AMiZXm.jpg

Every time I walk into Pandora, I am still completely blown away by it!

The new "Utility Suit" character in Pandora was pretty cool. It fits into the story as being a device they use to help climb the mountains and lift rocks helping to rebuild the Valley of Mo'ara.

[twitter]

[/twitter]

DbbiwihV4AAtvQH.jpg

NOTED!!! lol

That wraps up our day! It was a fantastic full day of celebrating! Now go watch that video and tell us what you think! Thanks for reading!

Edited by robbalvey

Animal Kingdom is still my favorite WDW park and the addition of Flight of Passage and the entire Pandora - The World of Avatar only helped that (even though I'm not a big fan of the movie). I'm excited to see what the next 20 years brings to the park!

Great photos from what seemed to be a fun 20th Anniversary celebration!

Fantastic pics, and loved the video.

wow. .that interview with Joe is fascinating! (some good questions there, Robb, but really loved his responses about Kilimanjaro Safari, and how it relates to the "real" Africa).

thanks for sharing.

Animal Kingdom is still my favorite WDW park and the addition of Flight of Passage and the entire Pandora - The World of Avatar only helped that (even though I'm not a big fan of the movie). I'm excited to see what the next 20 years brings to the park!

Great photos from what seemed to be a fun 20th Anniversary celebration!

All I thought after riding the fantastic Flight of Passage was Star Wars, Speeder Bike, Endor, Ewoks

I haven't had a chance to watch the video yet since I'm at the office but the trip report was great!

As I **may** have mentioned to you once or twice I was blown away by absolutely everything at Animal Kingdom. It's an amazing park.

Hard to believe this park is already 20 years old. It's one of Disney's most beautiful creations, and they've steadily improved it.

I agree. It's just so different than what you usually see at a theme park, focusing on actually realistically re-creating a world region and not really putting a "fantasy" spin on it. I can't wait to check out Avatar, as previously I just hated that there wasn't more to do and the park always closed so early. Seems like they fixed that.

Awesome report Robb! Not sure how i feel with Chip and Dale getting new outfits as they are my favorite... Hopefully the outfits grow on me.

With my many visits to the park, i dont think ive ever seen the bird show before. That upsets me.

Awesome report Robb! Not sure how i feel with Chip and Dale getting new outfits as they are my favorite... Hopefully the outfits grow on me.

Remember though, at Walt Disney World they have all kinds of special "themed costumes" in certain areas. You'll be able to find them in their normal costumes still in the other parks.

Great report! What a special way for Animal Kingdom to celebrate the anniversary and Earth Day. Expedition Everest looks like a such a fun ride with so many details to take in. Joe Rohde is so well spoken he could talk about rocks or dust on a DVD and I'd be just as locked in as if he's talking about something Disney related.

Remember though, at Walt Disney World they have all kinds of special "themed costumes" in certain areas. You'll be able to find them in their normal costumes still in the other parks.

Oh yes very true!

Great report! What a special way for Animal Kingdom to celebrate the anniversary and Earth Day. Expedition Everest looks like a such a fun ride with so many details to take in. Joe Rohde is so well spoken he could talk about rocks or dust on a DVD and I'd be just as locked in as if he's talking about something Disney related.

Riding Expedition Everest at night is so much fun, it's nearly a different ride. The Broken Yeti stands our more, the dark sections are pitch black.

If Animal Kingdom could score some Pandas........

I wonder what's next for Animal Kingdom?

• 2 weeks later...

Believe it or not, we're planning to get to this park in 2024! Probably mid-Nov.

Also EPCOT, and only these two parks for this visit. It's all we can afford,

in the future. We know about EPCOT's future a lot. But it makes me curious

how the next six years are going to go, for DAK....

Can't wait! (And if it is posted what they are planning for DAK, in past pages...I'm saying it's my AGE, and that's my excuse.)