TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

So as media day is winding down and the first rider event coming up later tonight I wanted to share this picture. As many of you know, I work at the park. Mystic Timbers to be exact and I'm also trying to get into the Industry. While some stuff has been going on, Adam House (pictured on the right) (lead designer for Great Coasters International) was kind enough to answer some of my questions that I had about how to get into the industry, some other GCI's that are new for this year and older ones from the past, asking who I post as on KICentral, on here as well and even taking this picture with me! So as everyone gets a ride on Mystic, I just want to say thank you Adam House for taking some time and answering some of my questions and showing me the right way to get into the industry!

925703961_AdamHousePicture.jpg.23ba92453f1349bc69fdf7ce23604b1f.jpg

I think Mystic Timbers is fantastic. It has tons of air time and never seems to slow down. The theming looks great and overall the ride is one of the best in the park. The shed is a fun ending and does add to the ride but did not deserve the level of marketing it received. I feel like the park should have spent more time marketing the ride as a whole or just the coaster.

The ride looks amazing! Much needed addition to Kings Island. A nice, smooth, and speedy modern wood coaster. Love it. Can't wait to get on it next month!

Also in regards to the shed... I think KI just out "Adventure Express"d Adventure Express.

Honestly though it was a great way to sell tickets, and isn't that what good amusement park marketing should do?

Today was Media Day for Mystic Timbers and yes, I found out what is in the shed, and yes we are going to tell you! First off, the ride. If you're a fan of GCI wood coasters, you're going to love Mystic Timbers! It's fast, it's out of control, switches directions faster than you can anticipate, has plenty of pops of air, and overall a *solid* ride. This is not a "family" GCI woodie and it's more along the lines of Gold Striker or Prowler as far as longer, spread out GCI coasters. This one's a hit!

I got to ride both while it was still night and during the day and while it's a really good ride during the day, holy crap was it crazy at night. Makes me wonder after people discover it, which ride will have the longer night ride line, Mystic Timbers or The Beast. Hmm...

As for "What's in the Shed?" Watch the video below. Yes, I'm having fun with it and yes I'm hamming it up to an extreme (seriously, what did you expect from me?) but what I describe is actually *EXACTLY* what is in the shed! Not joking! Now there are different variations. One time we got Hall & Oats, another time we got Gary Newman's Cars. I also heard that Ace of Base is in there and Bonnie Tyler, but I never heard those two.

Basically you pull into the brake run which is themed to an abandoned shed due to some really unexplainable scary stuff that happened in the 1980s (yes, that's the story line) and the first thing that happens is you see some beat up "shed stuff" with an old cassette player. It plays a song for you. You can dance, you can enjoy it. It's there. Next you advance into a room with some projections of "spoooooooky things!" We saw angry trees, bats, I heard there were lizards, too. I think some eyes glowed at you and there was some nice product placement with a beat up Coca-Cola machine. And that's what's in the shed! lol

Honestly, it's "fine." I think as the park told me "Normally you just sit on the brake run waiting for the train in front of you to finish loading and dispatching. We just wanted to give the rider something to look at and have fun with it." And that's exactly what it is. Those of you who were expecting a drop track or an inversion, or giant ladies to come tickle you with feathers, re-adjust your expectations now.

I actually think it would have been funny as hell if you pulled into that first room and just heard Rick Astley on the tape deck playing! That would have been the ultimate theme park "We trolled you!!!" and it would have made me very happy! lol But the show scene is nice, too.

Anyway onto some photos & video!

Yes, that video does in fact reveal What's In The Shed!

And here is the park-supplied POV and B-Roll for your viewing pleasure:

001.thumb.JPG.a707ba6d5e37191448bc48551e30344f.JPG

Here I am at Kings Island at 5am. I want you all to know that I normally don't even start getting out of bed until around 10am, so you can see the sacrifice I'm making here! lol

002.thumb.JPG.4ef3e8ab71d4be60fd2d55c64a5173c6.JPG

It's still dark, but there are fountains.

003.thumb.JPG.a6480bd56dcb7adf370cd5fac4f61027.JPG

I'm tired, and I needed reminding where I was...

004.thumb.JPG.598ada66f24bd4dca2ab4ac32fc7f95e.JPG

I walked a few hundred feet from sign A to sign B and yet again forgotten. Thankfully I know now.

005.thumb.JPG.8d22979dc54c93f07bedba4d49682ce8.JPG

Here's the ride entrance sign. But it's night time. It looks exactly the same during the day. But lighter.

006.thumb.JPG.1f7ba8ed3d32fb4ffed7defaf5a91967.JPG

I took this sort of blurry picture of the train and people's bald heads. It's the only picture of the train that I took because I'm horrible at this.

007.thumb.JPG.28f057706a34b33734cb406d0c456948.JPG

The sun is starting to rise and you can see that blue stuff in the air behind the coaster.

008.thumb.JPG.df0ac1dc934ccd5c497fcdf32dbe7210.JPG

This is probably going to be the best picture I'll take the whole day, so it's cool if you want to stop reading right now.

008a.thumb.JPG.0624171411758461380170b6a3588ffc.JPG

I had to wear this thing in order to ride.

008b.thumb.JPG.3960a2aecb0ba9ac18940abfdf16e0a1.JPG

It had my name on it! I love it! You know you're a celebrity at a coaster media event when everyone is wearing your name around their necks! lol I did do some TV interviews and newspaper stuff. If anyone happens to see them, please link us!

009.thumb.JPG.dd01f0f4f2558583d56082552007920c.JPG

There's a magical disappearing podium. It disappeared shortly after everything was done and it was never heard from again.

010.thumb.JPG.dbf803f915b9d58f788a69bd480dcd18.JPG

Mike Koontz came out and said some words.

011.thumb.JPG.3f44d3b9075c1a33d454a94563e66410.JPG

Rob Decker said more words and things.

012.thumb.JPG.3a5c6ca69aafbb282fd96764bf310395.JPG

Adam House was all "Doesn't GCI kick ass? Yeah we do, baby!"

013.thumb.JPG.d8cd23ffbc2d172279a5918c4232ae75.JPG

Don was all "pardon me while I eat this microphone. OM NOM NOM!"

Seriously though, great presentation. Short and to the point. And that's how we like it!

Here's the replay of the live stream:

[fbvideonew]

[/fbvideonew]

013a.thumb.jpg.e41f7570ed8786f5af169fd5d639d086.jpg

I figured we'll throw in some POV shots for you. This is "Imma gonna carry the train thing up the hill" section.

013b.thumb.jpg.76d97bf548a899dd7e47e1e534a33630.jpg

This is the top of the hill where you see more roller coasters.

013c.thumb.jpg.723d1650869200a0904ab7d6b6651fd6.jpg

You can see the ride is "Twisty" but I didn't say "Twiiiiisty" in the video because that's sooooo 2010!

013d.thumb.jpg.889657f27718b8d2f1001c5e2c66082a.jpg

And here is the shed. Today we tweeted about things that could be in the shed, and this is what we tweeted:

#WhatsInTheShed? Measles. Everyone gets measles.

#WhatsInTheShed A giant spider web filled with fruit!

#WhatsInTheShed The nuclear fridge from Indiana Jones 4.

#WhatsInTheShed Hall & Oats are in the shed!

#WhatsInTheShed A guy with a megaphone saying "don't go in the shed."

#WhatsInTheShed The Boners of the Elderly.

One of them was 100% true. Another one was sort of true.

014.thumb.JPG.d7e173ec88fdfcfaa7fa473d369e3207.JPG

Here's pictures of the roller coaster thingy.

015.thumb.JPG.7718e19aa3752cf606ac52cbfe6cfb88.JPG

People seem to be having fun, but they were also promised free food, and that goes a long way at a media event! lol

016.thumb.JPG.793bec6a0f5687331b098e885af4623a.JPG

Dude. Front Row. Left Side. Has issues.

017.thumb.JPG.81992b7bffbcdc391b5ff417abee691a.JPG

Dear Kings Island. Please do not listen to the tree hugging hippies and mercilessly chop all these down. That would have been such a great photo!

018.thumb.JPG.63032ee2c01925623578e0c044dcdd7d.JPG

Cut these while you're at it. Thanks!

019.thumb.JPG.280ad145e326ebaab3c5ff8cbd95f35e.JPG

This is the front of the train. It turns out you're in a crappy old truck going on a joy-ride. They didn't supply me with any Coors Light though and I'm OK with that.

020.thumb.JPG.644d6df7d2590a179cb68719f8eccbae.JPG

This sign has words on it. It's themed to a book that also has words.

021.thumb.JPG.a81cb6ef748fe50507ed2ec78c949271.JPG

Here's the actual truck you're supposed to be riding in.

022.thumb.JPG.5552735c7a92e5eaf408dde517bd9d80.JPG

#WhatsInTheSecondShed

023.thumb.JPG.13f25232aaec8154e73197b743152923.JPG

Hung out with Nick today at Kings Island. We both have similar social media woes. This means we need more alcohol.

024.thumb.JPG.5aa90832001bab693a19e894a16bbe4a.JPG

We took a picture. It was a nice picture. I'm trying to attack Cassy. Travis is all "LookatmeI'mcool!" Other dude sat down next me and said "I have no issues with you." And I was all... "Thanks...I guess?" It's cool, though. I have no issues with me either! lol

025.thumb.JPG.ecd320326971ece7a1269b2f2e75eb89.JPG

Tomorrow this goose will be in the shed.

026.thumb.JPG.3085175c4fc5bb821c0e5515456e01a0.JPG

They gave is this nice bag and a commemorative media day ticket framed! I'm actually giving one away on our Twitter, so go try to win it!

That's it! Media day DONE! Get out and ride Mystic Timbers. We'll be back at Kings Island later in the year!

Edited by robbalvey

Thanks for the complete media day overview, Robb! Looks like a nice little coaster and the shed is pretty much what I figured it'd be. How long do media events last, on average?

It depends on the event. This one was from 5am - 11am. The upcoming Disney one is 3 days! lol

After watching the POV's of the shed... wow that's hilariously bad. Could they not afford to make the projection screen the right size or aspect ratio? it's got white space all around the image.

Wow. Coaster looks great though!

I present Exhibit A "Adventure Express" a great coaster but an ending that makes you laugh and go "WTF was that?"

I got to ride both while it was still night and during the day and while it's a really good ride during the day, holy crap was it crazy at night. Makes me wonder after people discover it, which ride will have the longer night ride line, Mystic Timbers or The Beast. Hmm...

Yes, the first Beast at night comparison! This has been a bigger question than the shed for me since it was announced. I can't wait to hear what more people think on this, especially as the ride ages.

Basically you pull into the brake run which is themed to an abandoned shed due to some really unexplainable scary stuff that happened in the 1980s (yes, that's the story line) and the first thing that happens is you see some beat up "shed stuff" with an old cassette player. It plays a song for you. You can dance, you can enjoy it. It's there. Next you advance into a room with some projections of "spoooooooky things!" We saw angry trees, bats, I heard there were lizards, too. I think some eyes glowed at you and there was some nice product placement with a beat up Coca-Cola machine. And that's what's in the shed! lol

I wonder if the park'll change up the "shows" for Haunt or not.

Honestly, it's "fine." I think as the park told me "Normally you just sit on the brake run waiting for the train in front of you to finish loading and dispatching. We just wanted to give the rider something to look at and have fun with it." And that's exactly what it is. Those of you who were expecting a drop track or an inversion, or giant ladies to come tickle you with feathers, re-adjust your expectations now.

Makes stacking a little more enjoyable. And depending on how it's received, I can easily see other parks adding "sheds."

Great report! I'm glad I kept my expectations for what's in the shed pretty low, because this is Cedar Fair, and with all of the techy stuff they have been doing lately, I was expecting nothing more than some effects/screens/music. Looks like a GREAT coaster (pun intended), and it makes me even more excited to finally try Gold Striker this summer.

Haven't been to KI since 2014 and I loved it. One day I will get back... one day.

Great coverage of the event. Your shed reaction had me rolling! Also caught me on the first drop "free food" pic. I somehow managed to be the darkest figure on that train! Much of what you said reflected my thoughts as well. A great, solid coaster overall! The shed definitely adds to the experience, and I'm happy that they chose to do something interesting instead of just have riders simply waiting to get off. It might not be worth all of the hype and speculation it had been getting, but it's better than nothing. Plus the coaster layout makes up for all of that!