Coney Island (Luna Park) Development Discussion Thread

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby odene497 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:20 pm

What are they gonna do with the Wonder wheel and the parachute tower? I think those are landmarks too.

You just lost the game

Postby the sound » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:55 pm

If someone is taking it over and jazzing it up a bit...

I think thats a great idea! If their smart, they will keep the Cyclone, but get rid of some of the other flats, and put in some newer stuff.

BTW, i agree with Wes. Your title is very misleading.

On the other side of the camera

Postby WillMontu » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:42 pm ... 9820c.html

Looks like the owners of Astroland will continue to lease and operate the Cyclone. Not sure about the Wonder Wheel and Parachute Tower, as neither were owned by Astroland

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:08 pm

There is a second amusement park at Coney Island called "Deno's" and the Wonder Wheel is at Deno's and will continues unless Deno's is also sold.

There are also other attractions owned by independent operators (The B&B Carousel was purchased by NYC last year and NYC is supposed to be building a new pavillion for it), the guy that ran The Zipper and a couple of other flats could not renew his lease. El Dorado bumper cars are also independent as is Dick Zigun's Sideshow by the Seashore Freak Show. I'm not sure which independent operators own the land versus lease it.

The parachute tower would probably not go anywhere since is was recently repainted and cleaned by NYC at great investment and sits on the boardwalk which is technically on NY State park land.

At lot of leases on small business operators are not being renewed in anticaption of the renewal.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Calvin » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:21 am

I read about this in the paper ("Coney Island Future Uncertain") and it mentioned the same thing people here are tossing around: bait-and-switch. It talked about the business manoeuvre that took place to get rid of the Thunderbolt. Then I put down the paper and thought about the part in Annie Hall that shows the Thunderbolt and then I got depressed.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby Primogen18 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:22 am ... calder.htm

Nickelodeon is interested in being apart of the re-development of Coney Island, maybe this won't be so bad if this is the kind of stuff they want to pull in. Nickelodeon attracts kids, kids like rides, parents like rides, so who knows.

Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Postby borisdag » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:25 pm

Sad news. I went there once. The Cyclone is an amazing ride, but honestly, the entire area was a squalid terrifying mess. Hopefully they can do better.

I know more about donkeys than women!

Coney Island's Astroland to close

Postby coasterguy4 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:10 pm

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!
Location: Coney Island by Day. Staten Island by Night. Tokyo in my Sleep!

Postby CycloneMan » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:16 pm

Let them close! After the way the treated me, they can close! I'm greatful that the Cyclone is staying. Nothing else really matters. though there Breakdance is superb!

-Dainan "There was a topic on this" Rafferty

I love pickles. No more comments neccesary.

Postby USRoadTripper » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:36 pm

One of my friends from New York said that he heard that Disney had bought up all the land in that area. I said I hadn't heard about that, but would see if I could find any info about it. Has anyone else heard that or does this belong more in the crazy rumors thread?

Current coaster count : 223
waterviper [1:08am]: jahan i know you 17 and all but I think your one great piece of A$$
arrowfanman [1:36am]: we have the trifecta of ass-wanting!

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!