Coney Island (Luna Park) Development Discussion Thread

P. 144: Help name the 2020 attractions
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby imbordisux » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:51 am

So... this new coaster will feature magical floating track? That loop must be feather light.

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby verticalzero » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:21 am

What happens when the lease runs out for the Cyclone, would the lease be-rewed or can someone buy the coaster but have to keep it at Coney Island..?
"Roller coaster design is a science, as well as an art: a state of pure bliss".

--------------------------------------

Hard Rock hyyyper

Postby hyyyper » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:41 am

If i'm correct the cyclone can't be torned down....but when astroland can't pay the upkeep, they'll just let it rot untill it's like thunderbolt. And that's where the thing/organisation that keeps landmarks up kicks in.

at least that's what i think....not sure tough

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby verticalzero » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:39 am

Coney Island would not even consider allowing the "Cyclone" to get into the same state as the Thunderbolt.. It is a national treasure..

Could someone post how the USA "Historic Building, Landmarks and Structures" work if the upkeep can't be maintained by the owner.
"Roller coaster design is a science, as well as an art: a state of pure bliss".

--------------------------------------

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Cool New Coney Island Song and Video Tribute

Postby milst1 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:41 pm

Brooklyn band Circuit Parade has a very neat new song called "Million Dollar Mermaid" with a cool Coney Island video to accompany.

Enjoy.

-Martin

The quickest way to a man's heart is through his chest

Plans for New Coney Island Park unveiled

Postby edboxer » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:39 pm

Sounds interesting, but fiscally, who knows.

http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stories/ ... fault.aspx
Ed Boxer
Roller Coasters, Boxing, Lego, Architecture, Opera, Drum Corps
http://www.geocities.com/WestHollywood/9172/index.html

Avatar pic - Geauga Lake Double Loop 1977

I Love Bunnies

Postby Teacups Make Me Sick » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:42 pm

Can you post the article onto this thread...the site is blocked from my work computer.

Thanks!

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Location: Lowestoft and the University of Huddersfield, England

Postby Troll » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:45 pm

Can you post the article onto this thread...the site is blocked from my work computer.

Updated 10:48 AM
Plans For New Coney Island Park Unveiled
By: NY1 News

Two months after the Brooklyn amusement park Astroland seemingly closed for good, plans for a new Coney Island were released Monday, as hopes are being raised about saving a piece of boardwalk history.

The Municipal Arts Society released its designs for a new Coney Island amusement park, which they say are based on input from amusement park experts, architects and the public.

Experts say a must-see, awe-inspiring ride, like the London Eye ride, is needed in Coney Island.

"What really drives attendance is that one-of-a-kind attraction that everybody says, 'I got to ride that; I got to try that,'" said real estate developer David Malmuth. "So we need to make something that's visually stunning and a great ride experience where people say, 'I want to do that. I want to go out to Coney Island and take that incredible ride.'"

Inspired by the London ride, designers have come up with an idea similar to a monorail, which would serve both as an amusement ride and a mode of transportation for visitors to get on and get off at all of Coney Island's points of interest.

"We would like to take advantage of this technology and make it a very beautiful, scenic ride looking at the ocean, looking at all the attractions below, actually going through some clouds and steam and some projections as you ride," explained urban planner George Tsypin.

The group of urban planners, top designers, and economists say they would like to see a digital district, where the facades of buildings are screens that link together.

"We're showing the public a lot of very imaginative, almost like 22nd century, ideas," said Kent Barwick of the Municipal Art Society. "Is it all baloney? Everything that we showed has been done, proven, and is working somewhere else. It just hasn't been done here."

Another technology that is not being used in New York, but is used in Australia and Spain is generating electricity from the ocean.

"Today we have platforms that generate energy from the ocean by waves," said architect Enrique Ruiz-Geli. "So you imagine we install a power plant that generates electricity for Coney Island for the theme park, but also for each home. So Coney Island becomes an off-grid, self-sufficient, sustainable city."

While all this seems so futuristic and expensive, this group says there are ways to jump-start activity now with little money. By taking all of the empty lots and transforming now all kinds of arts festivals, experts say Coney Island should once again be world-renowned as the Greatest Seaside Stage.

Meanwhile, the city is says it is working on a deal to buy 10.5 acres of real estate in the area, which includes the three acres that Astroland sits on.

The land is owned by developer Joe Sitt, who had planned to build a Vegas-style entertainment complex but the plans have stalled.

The asking price for the lot is unknown.

When Life Seems Like An Uphill Struggle, Just Think About The View From The Top

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby nycoasterguy » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:31 pm

Sounds nice looks nice but will we actually ever see this happen? Coney Island needs something soon something were we can actually see construction start and things begin to transform. When designers start coming up with such extravagant ideas like this most of the time it never seems to come to light.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ginzo » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:47 pm

Oh boy, more scammers. The ghouls descend on the corpse of Astroland.
"There's nothing wrong with it. It just needs some tweaking,"

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!