Coney Island (Luna Park) Development Discussion Thread

P. 144: Help name the 2020 attractions
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
No longer TPR's Rock Band expert!

Postby thrillgeek » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:54 pm

I really hope this could happen. The London Eye type ride would be a really cool idea too. I'm surprised more amusement parks don't have one.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby ChrisFL » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:08 pm

So I'm looking at the plans and it all looks great, and start watching the video...sounds interesting...and then........... :wtf:
wait.jpg
What the!?!?! Somene getting a bit too creative with their designs, or have I just not been to NYC in a while and that's considered normal?

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby BrownStreak » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:03 am

I watched the video twice and I can figure out for the life of me what the heck that ride is supposed to be! And it REALLY bothered me that he said 22nd Century Technology- its waaaay too early for that to be the next shortcut term for slightly more than current technology:)
Of the road, but still in a truck...By the way, that's my dog Millie (named after Millennium Force) over there to the left!

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby texcoaster » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:43 am

ChrisFL wrote:So I'm looking at the plans and it all looks great, and start watching the video...sounds interesting...and then........... :wtf:

HAHAHA, you beat me to it! I had screen-captured that exact same image, so I could go back and see if perhaps I had just imagined the freak show.

What originally caught my eye was the marquee for Wonder Wheel and Thunderbolt. I expected to see the wheel still operating as part of a new development plan, but THUNDERBOLT??? Hopefully, those weren't the entrances to some "Coney Island's Past" museum or something. I realize that resurrecting the real T-bolt isn't going to happen, but a modern coaster with a similar layout could certainly be a good thing.

The Lord is my Saviour!

Postby Rct3man777 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:00 pm

^^^Well, that picture is gonna give me nightmares... :omg:

"Eliza, shut up about this "cherry" you've been talking about for the last 10 minutes! I wanna have sex!"

Lizzie McGuire is AWESOME!

Postby kalvin » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:08 pm

Thats not the Thunderbolt roller coaster thats the Thunder Bolt amusement ride like the Matterhorn or what ever it is called.

Cubs/Colts Fan

Coney Island, NY Attractions going under?

Postby spaceace12 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:48 pm

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/200 ... story.html

NEW York's world famous Astroland theme park on Coney Island could find a home on the Gold Coast if plans to relocate it here are successful.

The State Government and Gold Coast City Council have discussed shifting the amusement park from Brooklyn to the Gold Coast with its owners.

If successful, the Astrotower, Tilt-a-Whirl, Pirate Ship and other attractions will be packed up and shipped to Australia.

Astroland is one of a number of amusement parks within the huge Coney Island precinct.

US company Thor Equities bought large tracts of the area for $200 million in 2006, including Astroland's 1.25ha beachfront site for $30 million.

Thor Equities and the New York Mayor, Michael Bloomerg, have been wrestling over the final redevelopment of Coney Island. Astroland operators have until the end of January to vacate.
Gold Coast theme parks
Have your say on the feedback form below

Gold Coast Mayor Ron Clarke said he was impressed by the proposal after meeting with a group of US businessmen earlier this month.

The Gold Coast has previously been scouted by both Viacom and Disneyland operators as a potential home for one of their theme parks, which would add to the city's four existing theme parks.

"It sounds like a great idea to me," said Cr Clarke.

"They want to get it up as soon as 2009 and if it all checks out then I'd love to get behind this ambitious project.

"So long as the approvals are above board and they get their guarantees together, then I think it is a fantastic business concept and fantastic for the Gold Coast."

Astroland is home to the heritage-listed Cyclone rollercoaster and has appeared in many Hollywood movies.

Islander Hotel owner and Commerce Queensland representative Tom Tate said a new theme park would bolster the local economy during tough economic times.

"They asked me to have a look at the proposal and I'm very excited," said Mr Tate.

"This is like having the Ekka on the Gold Coast all year around."

"I like the concept where there is no entry fee and all you have to do is pay for the rides and whatever food and drink you want."

Mr Tate said he had suggested either the Surfers Paradise Transit Centre site or the canefields north of Dreamworld as potential sites.

"I think a lease scenario on the transit centre could work instead of an 80-storey tower. Alternatively, they could look north, he said."

Gold Coast architect Desmond Brooks has been involved in the negotiations between Sydney-based adventure park entrepreneur Sydney Matthews and government officials.

Mr Matthews operates two small adventure parks on the Gold Coast at Mount Tamborine and Currumbin.

Consortium spokesman Timothy Oliver said it would cost a minimum of $5 million to move the amusement park.

Mr Oliver said the project would create at least 300 jobs.

"I'm in constant contact with theme park owner Carol Albert and we're sorting out the logistics of getting the rides over here.

"It will likely take six months to get it all over here," he said.

I did a search and couldn't find any thread on the closing, otherwise I would have put this in there.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby carolinacaniac » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:37 am

Seems like everything at Astroland (Minus the Cyclone) will be going. I wonder if this would mean a transfer of ownership or if Carol Albert would still be the owner? I couldn't tell after reading it over.

Thought "Laser Snake Horse" was real.

Postby Speeddeamon128 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:06 am

This is very interesting & I hope the plan works. At least the rides at Astroland won't be trashed. Does anyone no if just the Cyclone will operate in 2009?
2010 Coaster Laps: 342
-Behemoth/Ravine Flyer II Tour 2008, East Coast Tour 2008, West Coast Tour 2009

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby downunder » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:55 pm

Oh for f***'s sake, Sydney gets blown over for another amusement park. Hello - major tourist destination, city of over 4 million people. Nah, it probably wouldn't work, neighbours would complain and it would get shut down.

Does this mean there will be a new credit in Australia, that wacky worm with the turntable. I've been on it in Brooklyn and I am so claiming it as another credit downunder.

I don't think this would work, unless it was on the main drag of Surfer's Paradise, why would you go to a little place with some flats when the big parks like Movieworld and Dreamworld are nearby if they put it further north.

Albeit it might be a cheaper source of amusement for locals than paying a fortune to go to the aforementioned parks.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!