Coney Island (Luna Park) Development Discussion Thread

P. 144: Help name the 2020 attractions
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Coney Island Development Plan To Be Unveiled

Postby milst1 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:23 am

This is in Daily News today. Link to story directly (at bottom of post) for some cool pictures.

City to air new vision for future of Coney Island

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BY JOTHAM SEDERSTROM
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Thursday, November 8th 2007, 4:00 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Print
Email
Suggest a Story

Las Vegas-style high-rises may serve as backdrop for Freefall riders at Deno's Wonder Wheel Amusement Park. Click on the image for a gallery of Coney Island shots from the past.

City officials Wednesday will unveil a highly anticipated plan to revive Coney Island, a multibillion-dollar vision that combines the area's honky-tonk charms with Las Vegas glitz.

Mayor Bloomberg will announce the sweeping rezoning and redevelopment plans at a Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce luncheon at Gargiulo's, the 100-year-old dining hall that has played host to Clint Eastwood, Muhammad Ali, Woody Allen and other celebs.

Zoning rules around the faded beachfront now limit construction to amusement rides. The changes could allow for the construction of luxury hotels, water parks, shopping and restaurants.

The stakes are high, with neighborhood preservationists fearing the amusement district could be overwhelmed by glitzy Disney World-style rides and high-rise hotels. But supporters say the struggling area is long overdue for a renaissance.

"It's exciting," said Dick Zigun, founder of Coney Island USA, a community organization. "This is what people have been waiting for, this will answer a lot of the questions New Yorkers are asking and I think the city has some really exciting things to share."

City Hall has had a contentious relationship with developer Joe Sitt, a major Coney Island property holder who has proposed an ambitious $1.5 billion plan that at one time included luxury condos, shops and housing.

In August, a high-ranking city official called Sitt's plan "dead in the water" because the developer wanted to build 350 residential time-shares at planned hotels and a push for $100 million in city subsidies.

Sitt has said he hopes to salvage aspects of his plan.

Hours after Bloomberg's presentation today, the Coney Island Development Corp., an entity created four years ago to resuscitate the area, will present ideas for the amusement district.

jsederstrom@nydailynews.com

Daily News Coney Island Story 11/8/2007

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby verticalzero » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:34 am

I don't care what happens at Coney Island as long as the historic rides are saved and never scrapped.
"Roller coaster design is a science, as well as an art: a state of pure bliss".

--------------------------------------

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby ahecht » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:53 pm

Some more details were announced at The NY Post.
City renderings show the new amusement park incorporating the landmark Cyclone roller coaster and Wonder Wheel with new indoor and outdoor attractions - including a new, looping roller coaster winding around the park and a new, iconic ride rivaling the size and shape of the 262-foot-high Parachute Jump.

I'm not that excited about the Vekoma/Arrow/Morgan-style looping coaster, but the huge Zamperla Swing Tower looks incredible. From the renderings, it looks taller than the parachute tower, which means it will be around 300 feet tall! I rode the 100 foot one at the Big E in Massachusetts and it was incredibly fun, and I can't imagine was one three times the size will be like.
photo04.jpg
This image details the area proposed for rezoning and what it will become.
photo01.jpg
An artist's rendering of the new Coney Island proposed by Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who hopes to revitalize the area while keeping its historic character intact.
photo02.jpg
A huge roller coaster will span the 4-acre site, dwarfing the classic, wooden Cyclone, which will remain standing on the east side of Astroland.
photo03.jpg
In this artist's rendition, the site is shown at night from afar, giving the full scope of the project. The original parachute jump (far left) will be moved and a new one will be erected (center). The Aquarium will also be given a face-lift (far right).
DISCLAIMER: Any information about rides presented here as fact has been taken from publicly available sources. The author readily admits that the rides may have been implemented differently than stated in the such sources. Any opinion statements are based on the author’s experience as a mechanical engineer and are not based on any insider knowledge or the wish to contradict those with such knowledge.

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby Tanks4me05 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:46 pm

Well, at least the place is only zoned for amusement ride construction. As long as Cyclone, Wonder Wheel and Parachute Tower stay up, I'm fine. Luckily, the first two are national landmarks.

Randomness

Postby coasterdude5 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:31 pm

It does seem like some Deja Vu, but maybe this time will be different.

"CACTUS SHARP!!"

Postby COASTER FREAK 11 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:45 pm

This sounds really cool. I hope it does well in the end and improves the area surrounding the park.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby Axman » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:09 pm

Does anyone else notice the new rides in the concept art? There's a double-sided frisbee type ride and 2 Chance Avaitors: one that's normal sized, and one the size of one of those "Starflyer" chairswings.
Alexander "I've decided that I don't really hate Magic Mountian, but I don't like it nearly as much as Cedar Point" Dickey

Current Coaster Count: 142

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Ccron10 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:10 pm

It seems like a great concept idea. Maybe they could bring back the old parachute tower. The coaster looks incredible.

Bork! Bork! Bork!

Postby Not For Sale » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:44 pm

And how many plans like this have been made so far? Three? Four?
-Bryan Stoll
Stupidity|Show|Self

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby milst1 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:46 pm

Your point is well taken, but as I recall, this is one of the first plans that isn't just a pure sellout to real estate values. I freely admit to not being an expert on the subject of Coney Island's umpteen redevelopment plans, but this one, it seems, tries to keep the historical district as an amusement destination and isn't just a plan to put up high-rises (e.g., look at the current site of Palisades Park 23 miles to the north) in place of rides. It pushes housing to the edges away from amusements. It seeks a development outfit that has amusement development experience (which Thor doesn't have). It seems to have the city's (in the form of CIDC) blessing, although it was Rudy Giuliani's "blessing" that destroyed the rotting John Miller Thunderbolt and put the Brooklyn Cyclones' (Short Season Class A Mets affiliate in the NY-Penn League) stadium in its place. And I think Dick Zigun is on board, and that guy's organization (Coney Island U.S.A.) has been the life blood of the place for a while. Burlesque isn't exactly family entertainment, but the Mermaid Parade is now the single biggest day of the year in Coney Island. My wife and I went this summer and it was such a zoo, we couldn't get anywhere near Astroland or the Cyclone or Nathan's, or anything! It was just too super-packed. If they actually get some happening new rides down there, it would be awesome.
coney.jpg
Mermaid Parade 2007, Coney Island, Brooklyn, NY
steeplechase.jpg
Original Steeplechase Park horse, Coney Island, Brooklyn, NY
parachute.jpg
Parachute Drop Tower, Coney Island, Brooklyn, NY

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!