Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

P. 962: Hersheypark announces 2019's Reeses Cupfusion
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Re: Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Postby robbalvey » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:23 am

bert425 wrote:
TheAmericanKnight wrote:Some word has gotten out about the 2020 coaster most likely being a B&M hyper. This just seems weird to me because they already have Skyrush. Is that not a hypercoaster? Why do they need 2?

Intimidator and Fury 325 at Carowinds give you side eye

IMO I always thought it was a bit weird that Carowinds and Canada's Wonderland basically built two similar rides just 100 feet different in size from each other.

Magnum and Millennium Force IMO *feel* like totally different rides. Different manufacturers, totally different style of layout, and I never feel like going on one after the other that it just seems like the same ride but 100 feet taller.

With the B&M pairs at those two parks, those rides feel almost exactly the same to me. And yes I get that the track layout is different and the vehicle configuration is different, but not different enough to make it not immediately noticeable.

At least with Skyrush vs. a B&M Hyper, while I don't agree with it, those rides will obviously feel VERY different. Even if they were the exact same height and layout.

One of them will feel like it is trying to murder you.

The other will feel like it wants to have a cup of tea with you.
Last edited by robbalvey on Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:24 am.

I poke manatees in the butt.

Postby Jcoaster » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:36 am

I really will never understand the Skyrush hate. It is by far the craziest hyper coaster I’ve ever ridden. The only hyper that comes close is SuperMan:The Ride which is surprise....Another Intamin.

The only B&M I’ll go out of my way for are Inverts or any other pre 2003 B&M.
Lightening Rod/Skyrush/El Toro/I305/Superman: The Ride/ Twisted Timbers/Storm Chaser/ Apollo's Chariot/Phoenix/Boulder Dash

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby bert425 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:08 pm

robbalvey wrote:At least with Skyrush vs. a B&M Hyper, while I don't agree with it, those rides will obviously feel VERY different. Even if they were the exact same height and layout.

One of them will feel like it is trying to murder you.

The other will feel like it wants to have a cup of tea with you.

:nina:
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

I poke manatees in the butt.

Postby Jcoaster » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:38 pm

I can agree with all that.

The old school B&M’s have a snappiness to their inversions, it wasn’t all one fluid motion like they are now. The old B&M’s felt like you were on a rollercoaster. The newer ones feel like you’re riding air.
Lightening Rod/Skyrush/El Toro/I305/Superman: The Ride/ Twisted Timbers/Storm Chaser/ Apollo's Chariot/Phoenix/Boulder Dash

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby TurnOfTheCentury » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:02 pm

I need to get back to Skyrush and re-ride it: I only got to ride it once, in the back, on a very busy, hot day (when they had sold out of "fast passes!"), with 2-minute dispatches causing an hour+ wait, and, to cap it off, a woman barfed in the line directly in front of me. Putting that parade of horribles all together, it may have affected why I wasn't as impressed with the ride as I felt I *should* have been: loved the first drop and the air, but it seemed over very quickly?

Agreed that a B&M hyper would feel very different than Skyrush: I initially thought there would be some redundancy, but totally different layouts and feel, as others pointed out. And I am glad I am not alone in being confused by Cedar Fair essentially building larger versions of existing B&M hypers at the two CW's

Finally, it is interesting how B&M owned the '90s in terms of innovation and intensity, but never really pushed the envelope with their hypers in terms of intensity or airtime? I have only been on the "first generation" B&M hypers (e.g., Raging Bull, Apollo's Chariot, Silver Star, Nitro) and they all felt like essentially very similar profiles -- enjoyable rides, but designed to provide nothing more than floater air. Are the newer generation hypers/ gigas more aggressive in airtime? (e.g., Fury 325 or Diamond Back or Mako).

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:48 am

Jcoaster wrote:The newer ones feel like you’re riding air.

Literally! :lol: :lmao:

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby fraroc » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:56 am

Is it just me, or did they change the restraint sensors on Skyrush? I didn't get walk of shamed, but on this trip, they had to staple the hell outta me. Also, I noticed that this year, the ride ops shuffled a lot of larger people on the ride to the winged seats, almost making the wing seats the unofficial "big boy seats" of skyrush.

It's an absolute beast of a coaster though. It's truly amazing with some of the most impressive air I have ever felt on a coaster.

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby ALT2870 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:30 pm

Just dragging this back up from a few pages ago:

Finally firming up a weekend East Coast trip next month. (Mainly to see closing night of a Broadway show.) Since the show is Sunday night have decided to make a return visit to Hershey and get that elusive ride on Skyrush. (We were next to ride before they shut it down.) How are crowds on September Saturday's? Specifically I am going the 15th.

In ideal land, I would spend opening till around 2-3PM at Hershey then drive up to Knoebels for the evening. (Sue me.) Was just at the park last year in May so did most of the stuff so just really looking to hit a few things that we missed and some ride some favorites. Mainly Skyrush, Storm Runner, Chocolate World (didn't do as well), ZooAmerica possibly, and a couple of others.

Park Hours:
Hersheypark: 10AM-10PM
Knoebels: 12PM-8PM

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:58 am

You should definitely get your money's worth and spend some time at Hersheypark the evening before.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:34 am

ALT2870 wrote:(Mainly to see closing night of a Broadway show.)

More importantly, which show? Spongebob closes on the 16th, you know! :lol:
Last edited by robbalvey on Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:37 am.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!