Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

P. 928: New Breakers Edge Water Coaster construction photos
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Re: Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Postby Thom25 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:00 pm

Those pictures are already online. They look great and a bit similar to Skyrush (yes).

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby The Yeti » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:30 pm

OCJ48 wrote:Is Intamin gonna make the same mods to LL:DOD's noodles?

I can't see it being an issue on that ride, and it hasn't even opened yet. Skyrush's forces seem to be what causes the stapling, and DOD won't have forces like that. Of course the ride op can always staple you in, but I say that's you're own fault! I imagine those noodles (why do I feel so dumb saying that) would make DOD even more thrilling in the end compared to the OTSRs on other drop towers.

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby OCJ48 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:03 am

The Yeti wrote:
OCJ48 wrote:Is Intamin gonna make the same mods to LL:DOD's noodles?

I can't see it being an issue on that ride, and it hasn't even opened yet. Skyrush's forces seem to be what causes the stapling, and DOD won't have forces like that. Of course the ride op can always staple you in, but I say that's you're own fault! I imagine those noodles (why do I feel so dumb saying that) would make DOD even more thrilling in the end compared to the OTSRs on other drop towers.

Fair point. My thought was the breaks after nearly 400' of falling would be enough to staple, but I suppose that would only be for a few seconds as you wait to land. The ride not yet being open would presumably be a benefit, assuming Intamin is going to add whatever changes they make on Skyrush into future rides with this lapbar design. You don't need to hurry to fix it overnight or close the ride to implement any changes that way. Thanks for the reply.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby A113 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:11 am

Thom25 wrote:Screamscape and other sources.

To be honest with you, is Screamscape even that reliable of a source? Where are the other sources?

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby Manic Monte » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:03 am

The only source I need is common sense. There is no way the park is unaware of what is going on with their brand new ride.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby TestDummy » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:02 pm

Bit late to report, but here it goes:

I also visited Hershey on Monday, had a very similar visit to okinawaboy11. I followed the advice to hit Fahrenheit first and it was great advice. I got a front seat ride, walk in, on Fahrenheit, followed by a walk on back seat ride. Then a walk on front seat ride on storm runner, followed by a second ride. Then I got two front seat walk on rides for both sides of Lightening racer.

When I went to check sky rush, the queue was full, so I went to the Zoo and came back. The ride had broken down, so I went to get lunch. By the time I got back, Sky Rush was cycling empty trains, so I waited. Probably 15 minutes later, the ride was open, and in 5 minutes I was in the back row, left wing seat.

My Review:
The lift quickly grabs the train and before you know it you are getting thrown over easily the craziest drop on any coaster I have ridden (I include El Toro, and I305 in this). The way the hill is designed, it feels like there is a pump right at the steepest portion that really tries to throw you out of the seat. When the ride turns at the bottom of the drop you get thrown to the left. The laterals are so intense that I had to grab on for fear of getting hurt. On the first airtime hill you get thrown so hard into the noodles that you are thankful that they are locked down tight. The sweeping turn comes, and I almost blacked out. No fear, the blood quickly rushed into my brain on the second (even more intense) airtime hill. The stengle dive was really a surprise for me. It had strong laterals, and managed to give me negative g's will the train went from overbanked, to normal. Extremely intense. The air-time S-curve had equally strong airtime, that when combined with laterals, was frightening. The last airtime hill comes with a vengeance, and give the strongest air I have ever experience on a coaster. Essentially every hill has stronger and stronger ejector airtime. The ride is an absolute monster.

As for the noodles. I didn't mind my legs getting crushed, but the noodles could be designed much better. I found that the noodles were much worse when I rode on the right wing. Essentially there is a one inch contact point about 1/3 down your thigh. When the extreme airtime comes, a small amount of restraint separates you and death. The placement 1/3 down the thigh is really awkward because your center of mass is so far away from the contact point. If there was more contact from the hip to mid thigh, the restraint would be great. I didn't mind the noodles though because I collected 3 rides throughout the day. It seemed that the ride ops were getting better at loading the trains as the day progressed. Yes, the station design sucks, but they are working on it.

For me I305>Skyrush>El Toro. If the noodles get changed, Skyrush could be #1.

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby palmerleeberry » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:40 pm

^That was the same seat I was in when I rode SKYRUSH: back row, left side wing. If they planning to change their R-E-S-T-R-A-I-N-T-S, then I guess that guest relations received too many complaints about the rider's thighs getting crushed on the airtimes (either that or the park doesn't want me to do marathons on the MERRY DERRY DIP!!!).

You know, this reminds me of another coaster at Kings Island called "Adventure Express" that I rode for the first time in its opening season (that was in 1991). That coaster jerked you left and right through every turn. When I rode it again a few years later, the coaster didn't jerk you like it did before, telling me that maintenance fixed the problem. Hopefully, when I return to Hersheypark, SKYRUSH's problems should be solved and that coaster will be a more enjoyable ride.

:pillow: "Hey, what about me? I'm always an enjoyable ride!"

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby alpengeist04 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:57 pm

And I'm so glad they're going the route of actually addressing the lap bars themselves rather than interfering with some other aspect of the ride.

I couldn't agree more.

...kudos to Hershey on this.

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby coasterferg » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:09 pm

^^ I was also at HP on Monday, June 11 and immediately went back and did Fahrenheit, Storm Runner and others in that area right after the gates opened. I bet we probably even saw each other! I also got walk-on front and back seat rides of Fahrenheit and two quick rides on Storm Runner.

Another agreement on the Skyrush restraints. My friend and I both got 3 rides in the last row, in a middle and both wing seats, and one ride toward the front and this coaster was crazy/awesome! HP very much knows about the restraint "problem". When we were loading, the station attendant even told us "don't push your lapbar down too tight or else it will hurt". Problem is, Skyrush pulls enough forces at the bottom of the first hill that the lapbars tighten up, so there is nothing you can do about the noodles being too tight for most of the ride. Unlike conventional ratchet restraints, Skyrush's hydraulic restraint can still get tighter as the ride goes, much like a car seatbelt. Perhaps they could find a way to "lock" the noodles once every one is loaded and set in their positions to keep the lapbar from pushing further down due to the G-forces, it wouldn't be so bad?.

Also, after reading the trip reports in this thread from the past few weeks, I was all prepared for a disappointing experience as a whole at the park. Maybe HP managers read this thread and put a fire under the workers' asses, because I didn't think at all that the ride attendants were slow, lazy, or uninterested. Very often the attendants were hurrying to check restraints and I thought were getting the trains out as fast as they possibly could. They were also letting people on the trains before everyone had exited the loading platform. Obviously they cant do this on Skyrush due the same side loading, which is a real capacity killer for it. Hopefully HP corrects this.

I stayed at the park from opening to close and all-in-all I got 30 total coaster rides at HP last Monday, including on 5 rides on Storm Runner, 4 rides each on Skyrush and Great Bear and 3 on Fahrenheit, all without the Fast Lane. It was a great first visit to Hersheypark! I just got home from a 3 day Great Adventure - HersheyPark - Dorney Park/Knoebels vacation and I'd say I had the best time at Hershey!
Last edited by coasterferg on Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:11 pm.
Coaster Count as of March 2018: 348

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby TestDummy » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:35 pm

On another note, Hershey park begins selling tickets at 10am. The people selling tickets are the ones ripping tickets. It was a bizzare set up. I would suggest buying in advance, getting there at 9:30 so you are among the first through.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!