Moreys Piers Discussion Thread

P. 107: Runaway Tram (Family coaster) coming in 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Re: Moreys Piers Discussion Thread

Postby boldikus » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:52 am

They do have wristbands (they are discounted on Tuesdays FYI - I think its just an afternoon special, and obviously have no idea if they'll continue that this year, but they've been doing that for years now).

Otherwise they run about $60 per person - that may change depending on if its a weekend or not, I don't know if their pricing fluctuates during high peak times. Its a little steep when you factor in four of you but the problem is their tickets are expensive. The big coasters/flume/larger flats wind up coming out to almost/around $10 per person per ride if you go w/ tickets, so it honestly makes sense to get the wristband if you plan to ride a lot. And FYI - its not actual tickets. You get a card that you can load up with different tiers of tickets.

Also - just because you mentioned only spending a few hours. The piers are a good walk (10+ minutes) from each other. If you are doing a "credit run" its going to be a pain in the ass, not to mention their coasters aren't exceptional (Great White comes quite close at night but I'm biased). I say it here all the time - Moreys is not a quick stop. Spend the day - eat some boardwalk food, ride the tram car, browse the sh*tty tshirt shops, enjoy the free beach, have a beer, check out the pretty Jersey girls in bikinis, ride lots of flats.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby WolfBobs » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:08 pm

boldikus wrote:They do have wristbands (they are discounted on Tuesdays FYI - I think its just an afternoon special, and obviously have no idea if they'll continue that this year, but they've been doing that for years now).

This is helpful as the current plan is to hit the piers on a Tuesday after KD on a Monday. And cost of the tickets/Cards isn't really an issue its more of paying for stuff we won't use as this is our first trip (and I spent my summers visiting my grandmother and going to Seaside Heights) and I have no idea if we will ever go back. My brother and I are mostly interested in the coasters, flumes and dark rides, my nephews will ride anything.

Thanks for the tips, advice and any help/suggestions!

Postby boldikus » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:09 pm

Make sure to hit some flats - their Larson drop tower, IT (KMG Afterburner w/ lapbars only), and their wave swinger are all really good. The flume is awesome. I love their flyers due to placement/theme but they're new Larsons and Moreys are nazis about snapping. Ride the giant wheel for the views.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:39 pm

Boldikus practically lives there, so he's covered most of it, but I'll say my one-day wristband on a Saturday in August (pretty much highest peak season) ran me $85. Totally worth it, as it was far less than I would have spent had I used tickets for each ride.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:54 pm

I also strongly recommend their collection of dark rides. Ghost Ship in particular shouldn't be missed. It's essentially a year-round haunt.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Belmont Park & Six Flags Discovery Kingdom

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby bill_s » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:46 am

Although I haven't been there in almost 20 years, I thought the most essential part of Morey's was nighttime, usually open 'til 12. The feeling of reaching the top of the lift on the GNE at night is incredible, as well as it seemed like a turbo switch was flipped on the thing at dusk.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:03 am

^ And the Great Nor'Easter is remarkably smooth now making it easily the best SLC out there.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Belmont Park & Six Flags Discovery Kingdom

Postby cal1br3tto » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:27 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:I also strongly recommend their collection of dark rides. Ghost Ship in particular shouldn't be missed. It's essentially a year-round haunt.

So thankful I got to experience the dark rides and walk-throughs they had in 2011! Even though Jersey Junkyard was the worst of the bunch by far, it was all part of the Wildwood experience. That one Egyptian-themed(?) walk-through, which I always forget whether it's still there, was surprisingly average-good, too.
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

Postby boldikus » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:32 pm

I realize this isn't explicitly about Moreys, but the boardwalk is getting escape rooms.

Escape rooms coming to the Boardwalk this summer

xddarkride.jpg

The escape room phenomenon, which began in Asia and has swept through North America and Europe in recent years, is coming to Wildwood this summer.

Three physical adventure games will take shape in the coming months at 4008 Boardwalk, alongside XD Dark Ride, the interactive, cinema shoot-em-up that debuted in 2016.

Escape rooms challenge players to solve a series of puzzles and riddles using clues, hints and strategy to complete various objectives. Players, either solo or in groups, are generally given a set time limit to unveil a secret plot hidden within the room(s).

These games are set in a variety of fictional locations, such as prison cells, dungeons and space stations, and usually the various puzzles themselves follow the theme of the room.

"This is going to be another phenomenal addition to the Boardwalk, as well as another first," said Brian Martin of XD Dark Ride. "Escape rooms have quickly become major attractions and destinations around the country, and are a big hit with groups."

What themes might be included?

Martin hinted that space or time travel could be involved, as well as a Wildwood-inspired room.

"You'll have to wait and see," he said with a wink, also noting that the escape rooms will be fully operational by Memorial Day Weekend.

Stay tuned!

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:00 pm

boldikus wrote:I realize this isn't explicitly about Moreys, but the boardwalk is getting escape rooms.

It's great to hear about the other options on the boardwalk. Whether it be the food, brewpubs, arcades, fascination, mini-golf or go karts it is all part of the Wildwood ecosystem.

A huge part of the Morey experience is the boardwalk. The piers and the boardwalk are intrinsically linked and visiting Morey Pier, without doing anything else on the boardwalk means you are missing the experience.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!