Moreys Piers Discussion Thread

P. 107: Runaway Tram (Family coaster) coming in 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Moreys Piers Discussion Thread

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:13 pm

Thanks! I actually have been the Atlantic once before, on Cape Cod in 2004. That was really nice. I'm sure New Jersey is not nearly so, but I'm using Philadelphia as a home base for this trip, so it's just right there.

Beach tags? Is New Jersey actually run by the mafia for real?

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:14 pm

Basically.

And so is Philly. Enjoy your stay in our fine Philthy metropolis! :lol:

Postby coasterbill » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:40 pm

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:Beach tags? Is New Jersey actually run by the mafia for real?

:lol: That's the best explanation I could come up with. Yeah... beach tags. They charge you to stand on the beach and come over and annoy you when you're trying to relax and make you show them the tag. It's ridiculous.

And the Atlantic Ocean is very nice, Boldikus just doesn't think so since he goes to the Jersey Shore ;)

*in all seriousness we swam in Wildwood and thought it was fine. I'm just being a smart A$$.

Postby boldikus » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:40 am

Amid all this WW beach talk I'm not sure if any of us mentioned how LARGE the beach is. If you're not aware, prepare yourself for a little hike if you want to actually, like... go into the water. Its not bad at all in N. Wildwood (half the reason everyone goes there) but the Crest and in central WW (where the piers/most the action is) its a quarter mile+ trek from the actual boardwalk to the water. So its not as bad if you walk off the end of the piers, but just a heads up if you are trying to actually go in the ocean lol.

This is an older but good little article that talks a bit about it, and the town itself.

The Wildwoods boast three of the only five beaches in New Jersey that don't require people to buy beach badges to get onto the sand and into the water. Maybe it's because they have to work so hard to get to the surf.

The beaches here are a half-mile from the boardwalk in many spots, kicking sand in the faces of most other New Jersey beaches. Due to the prevailing ocean currents and the natural topography of the coastline, sand that washes away from other beaches piles up here.

In fact, the walk to the water is so far that Wildwood once seriously entertained a proposal to let a vendor offer camel rides to and from the surf before deciding against it.

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:43 am

That's a good article, thanks! I'm not afraid of walking; talk to my wife about the Navy Pier Death March.

We went up to Chicago in 2009 to see U2's 360 tour at Soldier Field. My wife had never been to Chicago before, so I wanted to take her to see some of the essential things, so we took the subway to Navy Pier. Now, she was 9 months pregnant with our son at the time, and I was also a dumbass. I didn't pay close enough attention to the bus routes when I looked at the map, because this was before smartphones and maps were still printed on paper*.

*Yeah, yeah, I know the iPhone was invented in 2006, but I live in the Ozarks, and none of us had them newfangled talky machines yet.

So I headed down Grand St., figuring we would find a bus stop and catch a bus going east. I never figured out, despite all evidence, that Grand is a one-way street going west. Nope, we just kept plodding along, going against traffic, stopping every half-block so she could rest, with me encouraging her that "there's gotta be a bus stop soon."

Four blocks down, with no buses in sight, I thought maybe there aren't any buses going to one of the city's biggest tourist attractions. Yeah, that's way more plausible than the second largest city in the U.S. having a one-way street. I then made the fateful suggestion I have never lived down since: "It's only eight blocks, we're halfway there, let's just continue."

Yeah, go look at Google Maps right now. Those first four blocks are roughly square, but the last four are very long. We were about a quarter mile into a walk of over one mile, and shall I reiterate for effect the small detail of my wife being nine months pregnant. The name "Navy Pier Death March" was coined during that last block, and it's a memory that still haunts me every single time I suggest walking anywhere, no matter the distance. There must now be assurances written in blood that the distance shall be as described.

So when we were planning a return trip to Chicago in 2014, this time with kids, I wanted to go back to Navy Pier and take them to the Children's Museum (which is a seriously cool place for kids). I think my wife still wasn't convinced that I had planned better and we were taking the bus, even after we had gotten on the bus that said "Navy Pier" above the windscreen. Showing her on my phone (hey, we got them newfangled talky things here now!) the Google Transit route we were taking didn't help. She wouldn't believe it until the bus dropped her off on the pier with zero intervening steps.

It's telling that now, 6 1/2 years after the Navy Pier Death March, it's still the first thing that pops in my head when someone mentions a long walk. :lol:

Postby boldikus » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:25 pm

Bill Morey has died.

Passing of Bill Morey Sr. Cofounder of Morey’s Piers

MOREY, WILLIAM H, 87, of Wildwood, NJ, a renowned builder during the Jersey Shore Doowop motel boom years, owner/operator of the old Ringo bingo hall on the Wildwood boardwalks, and a cofounder of Morey's Surfside Pier, where millions of Delaware Valley youth for decades enjoyed their summers, went to be in the loving arms of the Lord, Wednesday, January 11, 2017. Bill was born at Margaret Mace Hospital in North Wildwood, NJ, on April 19, 1929, and raised in West Wildwood, NJ by his parents, Lewis and Clara Morey. The Morey family birth order was 5 sons: Lewis, Raymond, Wilbert, William, and Charles, and 2 daughters: Yvonne and Esther. He resided in the Wildwoods his entire life, graduated from Wildwood High School in 1948, and married Dolores Peterson Morey in 1951. He was an avid golfer, a member of the Wildwood Golf and Country Club, and scored a hole in one at the age of 80. Family members humorously called him "Commander Whitehead", and friends and colleagues coined the nickname for him, "Silver Fox." He is survived by his wife: Dolores, 2 sons: William and Thomas, twin daughters: Jane and Joan, and William's spouse: Carolyn. He also has 7 grandchildren: William "Bud", Eric, and Brett Morey, John and Sara Freeman, Drew and Jenna Ankney, 6 great-grandchildren: William "Buddy", Ellasyn, Delaney, Waylon, Joel, and Marshall Morey.

Postby boldikus » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:46 am

Morey's has finally announced opening day and looks like they've updated their calendar. As usual, the piers will open one by one. https://www.moreyspiers.com/events/calendar

Opening Day is Saturday April 8th, only Mariners will open and remain open weekends through May when Surfside gets in on the action on Saturday May 13th. Finally, Adventure Pier will also open Saturday May 20th. Raging Waters (on Mariners) will open Memorial Day Weekend and Ocean Oasis (Surfside) will finally open Saturday June 17th.

Note that Adventure and Surfside Piers begin full day, daily operation in mid June with only weekend/night hours until then.

edit: sorry for the doublepost. :oops:

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby Pear » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:45 pm

Any news on when they hope to have Nor'Easter done?
The best coaster is Boulder Dash

Postby boldikus » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:50 pm

Based on the last few updates I'd go ahead and say it'll be ready and running when Surfside opens for the season (see calendar posted above). New track is installed, supports are painted, new sign is likely done by now, I'm sure electrical stuff is being worked on. I can't imagine them having delays running into May or beyond.

I'm hoping to get down to visit my folks in the next few weekends, as I haven't been down since September and believe it or not I *LOVE* Wildwood in the dead of winter. I will certainly try to get down on the beach next to the pier to take a few photos.

Postby boldikus » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:11 pm

I had to share these awesome aerial photos shot by F.R. Frankenfield that were posted over at Wildwood 365
WWaerial1.jpg
WWaerial2.jpg
WWaerial3.jpg

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!