2,138 members have voted

1. 1. What's your orientation?

• I'm a guy who likes girls
    • I'm a guy who likes guys
    • I'm a girl who likes guys
    • I'm a girl who likes girls
    • I'm a guy who likes guys and girls
    • I'm a girl who likes girls
    • I haven't figured out what I like yet...
    • Hobosexual (I'm a person who likes hobos)
    • Hoosexual (I'm a person who likes owls)

^Now that I think about that, it's really funny

Felix, you are now on my new signature

haha cool

But seriously though, why do Americans confuse European with gay? As a European, I do not understand this strange comparison. Someone enlighten me please...?

This is ALLLLL stereotype, but European men tend to be better dressed and have better manners than us crass americans. Also, affection between straight men is more accepted there. This confuses the gaydar quite a bit.

I have to say, just coming back from Europe this week, it is more difficult for me to pick out the gays there.

I've heard of the stereotype, but I have never met someone from Europe. Well, there were some people from Germany I have met, but I was ten years old, AND I didn't even know what 'gay' was at the time.

And I have to agree with what Moose has said too. And Americans are just weird when it comes to other cultures. 2006/07 I learned all about culture in one of my classes. It taught me a lot, and I became more accepting of all cultures, because what we think may be weird, is perfectly normal for them, and vice/versa.

European men tend to be better dressed and have better manners than us crass americans.

Now that you mention it, I've noticed how my behavior can come off as a bit 'gay' when I meet an American guy, even though back home in Germany it's considered totally normal. For example, Americans seem to need a lot of space in their conversations (or as my roommate called it, his "personal bubble") but Europeans don't seem to have this concept. I didn't know about this, so I would talk very closely with my roommate because I was interested in what he had to say. A little while later, my roommate told me that he thought that I fancied him because our conversations were too intimate for him. I was too close to his face, and I kept keeping eye contact.

Also, affection between straight men is more accepted there. This confuses the gaydar quite a bit.

This is very true. Kissing men (gay or straight) on the cheeks as a greeting is totally normal, but apparently it isn't here in the States! I learned that the hard way when I went to my first Frat party and tried to kiss all the guys on the cheeks.

If I revisit any place in Europe, it will be Madrid. The men there party! PAR-TAY! Slightly, tightly and possibly all-nightly! Go during gay pride and the Infinita Party and you'll be putting in several late nights in a row on packed streets! And they aren't shy in telling you what they want. My friend got his wires all crossed thinking he was the reason I was smiling... those boys were passing by saying naughty nothing in my ears! It wasn't those trolls I'm used to either... hot boys!

Oh and Connection in Berlin should be called "Disconnection"... troll city! I had to try to find an alternate club which was on the other side of town.

Terry

^^^I know what you mean about the "personal bubble" thing. This year at school, two French foreign exchange students lived next to us, and the majority of the people on my floor originally thought they were both gay because of how they held their conversations with us. I think the difference between how Americans and Europeans converse is mainly due to how disconnected Americans are from one another. Even friends get uncomfortable around each other when they get too close. This isn't always the case though. I'm gay, yet my best friend James is not, yet he has no problem hugging me goodbye when we won't see each other for extended periods of time and there have been several times where we've both fallen asleep on his bed next to each other while watching a movie. I think the problem in America is that the majority of men are always trying to live up to the American male standards of being the big, tough, money-makers of the family, and in doing so stop acting like their true selves.

^^^I know what you mean about the "personal bubble" thing. This year at school, two French foreign exchange students lived next to us, and the majority of the people on my floor originally thought they were both gay because of how they held their conversations with us. I think the difference between how Americans and Europeans converse is mainly due to how disconnected Americans are from one another. Even friends get uncomfortable around each other when they get too close. This isn't always the case though. I'm gay, yet my best friend James is not, yet he has no problem hugging me goodbye when we won't see each other for extended periods of time and there have been several times where we've both fallen asleep on his bed next to each other while watching a movie. I think the problem in America is that the majority of men are always trying to live up to the American male standards of being the big, tough, money-makers of the family, and in doing so stop acting like their true selves.

Hit the nail on the head man! Canada is pretty disconnected too. It's sad. =[

-Sean

I need space in conversations with people that I don't know. I have no problem with close conversations, hugging, and laying around with my friends though. But yeah, I would be a little creeped out if a guy that I had never met got all on me...especially if he was ugly, lol. I maybe wouldn't mind if he wasn't.

Even having been a lifelong American, I've noticed how much more we value, and demand more, space compared to others, especially Europe. Obviously, the American dream means big cars and big homes spread apart from each other (which I think has lead to having to pay 4x as much for gas then we did 4-5 years ago.)

Besides our disdain for general spatial density, there's definitely an attitude to spread apart when around other men. For example, men don't like to use urinals next to each other - though many will if necessary. I do admit I prefer restrooms that have partitions between the urinals, but if they don't it doesn't bother me much.

Hell, it used to be that many, if not most, public restrooms had communal trough urinals. Not the most comfortable, but it maximizes space... and when guys have had much to drink, they're not going to care much. In fact, it wasn't unusual to find toilet stalls in mens rooms lacking doors. Honestly, I find cleanliness and quantity more important than privacy.

Yes, not necessarily does this stuff have sexual connotation, but for many guys, it does.

Even having been a lifelong American, I've noticed how much more we value, and demand more, space compared to others, especially Europe. Obviously, the American dream means big cars and big homes spread apart from each other (which I think has lead to having to pay 4x as much for gas then we did 4-5 years ago.)

I reckon the main reason that Americans tend to "demand more, space compared to others," is simply because Americans have a lot of land to expand. There is space to build wide/big highways, huge residential communities and houses, Costco, etc. The size of the state Montana is the same as the entire country of Germany! So one could imagine how this "personal bubble" idea doesn't really exist in Europe.

Well all I can say about personal space is even though you don't have it in Europe, please, as a total stranger, don't come up and put your chin on my shoulder, using it as a rest to look at flowers. You'll have an achy mouth as I try to send your lower jaw through your skull using my shoulder. Please have a bit of common sense.

Terry

I have some pretty intimate conversations with my friends in Canada, I think we're a little bit less "Uh.. yeah, hi.. you're in my bubble. Go away." but we're still pretty disconnected compared to some other countries.

I think I should be European, I'm a pretty personal guy and I like being in crowded places, and I live in a 400 square foot apartment with 2 other people.

Heh.

-Sean

Well all I can say about personal space is even though you don't have it in Europe, please, as a total stranger, don't come up and put your chin on my shoulder, using it as a rest to look at flowers. You'll have an achy mouth as I try to send your lower jaw through your skull using my shoulder. Please have a bit of common sense.

Terry

That was one of the funniest things I've ever read.

You win!

• 2 weeks later...

^Stop looking and then they'll show up!

I have somewhat of a date tomorrow, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Neither one of us is looking for anything heavy; he has some issues and I'm too busy getting things done to deal with anyone else's issues. If nothing else, I get to eat dinner out and catch Batman without listening to a couple bicker. Speaking of which, if you and your significant other argue about vacation plans and he tells you "you think this whole vacation is catered for you", don't reply "It is about me."

I just walked in from the gym and heard that... I had to grab my protein shake and run upstairs and lock the door before the atom bomb went off downstairs. I couldn't believe my roommate's boyfriend said that; especially when my roommate is footing most of the bill.

C'est la vie, I guess.

Terry