2,138 members have voted

1. 1. What's your orientation?

• I'm a guy who likes girls
    • I'm a guy who likes guys
    • I'm a girl who likes guys
    • I'm a girl who likes girls
    • I'm a guy who likes guys and girls
    • I'm a girl who likes girls
    • I haven't figured out what I like yet...
    • Hobosexual (I'm a person who likes hobos)
    • Hoosexual (I'm a person who likes owls)

^For starters:

1. Life isn't perfect like that. As such, putting up appearances won't make you happy. If you are with someone that makes you happy, whether it is a man or woman, it shouldn't matter. Heck, who's to say that you can't move to one of the states where gay marriage is still legal, get married and adopt? You can still head over the the Mercedes dealership and pick out a cute car too!

2. If another man makes you melt, then I would definitely rethink the "perfect wife" thing until you get that under control. There's too many guys out there cheating on their wives at the park with other men because they thought this is how the perfect life and family should be. Families comes in all kinds and as long as there's love there... well you know the rest. Besides, just because there's a man and woman making up the family means that everythings is fine and perfect. I know too many stories to the contrary, especially my roommates cousin (who they found out too late she was being abused) who got killed by her husband, then shot himself... orphaning the kids.

3. And I accepted being gay by knowing how to use the proper word! J/k

There is an intersting form of family in some parts of the gay community... where an older couple will take in a younger person (either under their wing or in their home) that has been abandoned by their family or have no support group and become their "parents". The person I'm seen has this sort of family now after being abandoned and living on the street and in foster homes. The couple he lives with had thought about adopting or being foster parents and this fills that gap in their lives. So they are kind of raising him to be a more productive and stronger person.

I think we all have some sort of secondary family where we spend holidays together and function like a real family would.

Terry

How do you guys except being gay? Im stuck in a pickle. I REALLY want to get married and have like the perfect wife and the perfect family(you know...two income household, a nice suburban house, a Mercedes Benz CLS)...but I can't help but find David Archuleta super super cute and his smile makes me melt. Am I having an identiy crisis.

Well I can say that I have not fully accepted myself either, but I'm still going to have a family either way, I've known I wanted kids.

Oh yeah- And I agree with you 100% on finding David Archuleta hott.I actualyl just bought his CD even though I don't like his singing just so I could get the free poster of his face.

^^^Aside from what those above me have said, besides Archuletta's smile "making you melt", do any guys, erm.."arouse" you? That's pretty much a good piece of proof right there. I think any identity problems are more internal, coming from an argument between what you are and what you hold yourself to be.

-Nick

I didn't mean it quite like that. I know I'm gay, no doubt about it and I've had a bf. What I meant by accepting myself was more I'm not completely comfortable in my own skin yet, but I guess thats something most teenagers go through, finding thier place and stuff.

There is an intersting form of family in some parts of the gay community... where an older couple will take in a younger person (either under their wing or in their home) that has been abandoned by their family or have no support group and become their "parents". The person I'm seen has this sort of family now after being abandoned and living on the street and in foster homes. The couple he lives with had thought about adopting or being foster parents and this fills that gap in their lives. So they are kind of raising him to be a more productive and stronger person.

Terry

Wait one second...you saying that you are seeing someone young enough to still need foster parents??

^No!

When I say a younger person, that's usually 18 and older. I do remember some drag queens a long time ago taking in a 16 year old that was homeless after his parents put him out and he kept running away from foster care. So basically he ended up with 3 mothers. They were really protective of him.

However the person I'm seeing is 21; not that I was looking for someone that young, but he was really persistent! But he was in foster homes for a while after his parents disowned him. He was on his own for a while; then was homeless after falling in with people that used him, bouncing from friend to friends until this older couple took him in a few months ago.

But now he has a support group and he's doing waaay better than when I met him.

Terry

I didn't mean it quite like that. I know I'm gay, no doubt about it and I've had a bf. What I meant by accepting myself was more I'm not completely comfortable in my own skin yet, but I guess thats something most teenagers go through, finding thier place and stuff.

I totally agree, I know for a fact I haven't found my own skin yet ... it's odd to say but yeah I totally accept that. I'm not saying I'm gay, I'm just saying it's possible in the near future for my vote to sway.

There is an intersting form of family in some parts of the gay community... where an older couple will take in a younger person (either under their wing or in their home) that has been abandoned by their family or have no support group and become their "parents".

Terry

To support what Terry said...

I was actually "raised" by this type of family, not once, but twice. Not because I was homeless or had evil parents, but I just didn't have that support of people like me around, nor did I live near my family at all. It just fell into place, and it's the greatest thing to have those additional parents. It really does change your life for the better.

People in the gay community (especially in gay meccas) like to take care of each other for the most part. (Subtract the stereotypical bar scene...hehehe) And being that I've been blessed by this very experience, I like to pass it on as much as I can. It's a chain of caring and friendship thats been going on forever, and you don't find it anywhere else.

If I had a large enough home, I would definately take someone in my home to help them adjust to a new life. But I do my part to help continue that circle of friendship. It's an amazing thing.

^It's is a great thing to see. I haven't had one myself, since I'm veeeerrrry independent (which isn't a good thing when you're dating someone. Seeing someone look sad when I want to do a weekend trip is kind of wearing on me ). But the guy was near tears the other day when he thought of where he was several months ago... having no friends, being used, sleeping on the street.. to having a stable home, working and going back to school. He was very thankful for everything. He was dreading the holidays because they reminded him of how alone he was, but now he has a new family that are fighting over where he's going to spend Thanksgiving dinner! (I won btw) So hopefully he will have a good time at our house... and there will be some kids and my roommate's younger cousins there too so he won't be in a sea of 40 year olds like my old butt!

At least I have a better pet name now... and no, I'm not saying it.

Terry

• 4 weeks later...

WTF...no lesbians in here?? Only gay guys and straights like coasters/theme parks? C'mon now - we need to recruit some lesbians in here, pronto!!!

Oh, by the way...I'm gay (and so is my boyfriend) so that makes me part of the 2nd majority - woot!

Well, from one gay phillip to another

What's with that? I'm a gay Phillip too. I didn't realize it was such a gay name.

Maybe there should be another choice: I'm a guy named Phillip who likes guys.

Hahahaha, well, there would be at least 3, then.

• 2 weeks later...
Three gay Phillip's, but still no lesbians...ain't TPR the zaniest???

Well there are 12 lesbians here..... somewhere. (See poll again?)

They're just not registering a % point... yet.