2,138 members have voted

1. 1. What's your orientation?

• I'm a guy who likes girls
    • I'm a guy who likes guys
    • I'm a girl who likes guys
    • I'm a girl who likes girls
    • I'm a guy who likes guys and girls
    • I'm a girl who likes girls
    • I haven't figured out what I like yet...
    • Hobosexual (I'm a person who likes hobos)
    • Hoosexual (I'm a person who likes owls)

^This hobby does tend to attract many more guys than it does girls.

For example on the Europe trip, there were about 70 of us on the trip, only 10 of which were female. Coincidentally, there were also about that many gays on the trip.

(I may have miscounted, but the numbers are about right)

^^I read in a Psychology magazine how gaydar works. According to a study, it's based on scent. A gay man gives off a chemical in their sweat that other gays can detect through scent, although it's not something you can actually smell, you just sense it. Same thing for lesbians. They said it's built into our systems to guide us in finding mates.

Gay pheromones?!!??

I think you misread the article. AFAIK, what they're saying is there is a modicum of data that shows that gay men are attracted to male pheromones instead of female pheromones. But these are just the general male pheromones that every man has, not some special gay pheromones.

^^I read in a Psychology magazine how gaydar works. According to a study, it's based on scent. A gay man gives off a chemical in their sweat that other gays can detect through scent, although it's not something you can actually smell, you just sense it. Same thing for lesbians. They said it's built into our systems to guide us in finding mates.

Gay pheromones?!!??

I think you misread the article. AFAIK, what they're saying is there is a modicum of data that shows that gay men are attracted to male pheromones instead of female pheromones. But these are just the general male pheromones that every man has, not some special gay pheromones.

No, I didn't misread it. Here's the section.

When Charles Wysocki, a geneticist at the University of Pennsylvania's Monell Chemical Senses Center, asked volunteers to sniff underarm sweat from donors of a variety of genders and sexual orientations, some clear patterns began to emerge. Gay men strongly preferred the odor of other gay men, lesbians gravitated toward the smell of other lesbians, and straight women rated the odor of straight men higher than that of gay men. Each group, in short, preferred the smell of their first-choice mates, indicating a scent-based ability to assess sexual orientation. Another study confirmed that gay men and lesbians can recognize and identify the odor of others who share their sexual preference. This kind of scent-based gaydar enables gays to pinpoint potential partners instantly.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/pto-20080124-000009.html

This is ALLLLL stereotype, but European men tend to be better dressed and have better manners than us crass americans. Also, affection between straight men is more accepted there. This confuses the gaydar quite a bit.

I have to say, just coming back from Europe this week, it is more difficult for me to pick out the gays there.

I agree!!! It's really hard to pick out gay men anymore no matter where you are...I hate sterotypes though. I was at a straight bar at the beach and got really really drunk and wrote (yeah someone thought passing around a sharpie was a good idea) on two "str8" guys biceps for some stupid reason. Both guys were asking TOO many questions even when we sobered up.

I just think stereotypes are still around but hopefully someday people won't really have them. I mean when I came out I didn't want to be known as "gay" Chris because I'm also a Dad, Friend and a bunch of other things.

^^I tried to dig up Dr. Wysocki's studies, but only abstracts are available for free. Stupid science journals!

Anyway, that Psychology Today article is pretty bad. The last paragraph counters the earlier point in the article and pretty much echos what I said. Maybe gay men are just attracted to male pheromones in general. Not necessarily a specific gay pheromone that only gay men produce.

This whole pheromones in humans thing is pretty flimsy in general anyway. There isn't a lot of good data to support the idea human behavior is to much extent driven by pheromones. They could be vestigial. Or maybe we just bathe too much to build up enough pheromones to have an effect anymore.

My roommate calls them that whenever he has dairy products, but I'm not amused or attracted.

Terry "More like fear-mones" Weaver

Ha. I don't do so well by dairy either. But I'm addicted to cheese and ice cream!

so:

When Charles Wysocki, a geneticist at the University of Pennsylvania's Monell Chemical Senses Center, asked volunteers to sniff underarm sweat from donors of a variety of genders and sexual orientations, some clear patterns began to emerge. Gay men strongly preferred the odor of other gay men, lesbians gravitated toward the smell of other lesbians, and straight women rated the odor of straight men higher than that of gay men. Each group, in short, preferred the smell of their first-choice mates, indicating a scent-based ability to assess sexual orientation. Another study confirmed that gay men and lesbians can recognize and identify the odor of others who share their sexual preference. This kind of scent-based gaydar enables gays to pinpoint potential partners instantly.

That would explain why I have problems being attracted to people. My sinuses are severely messed up! The only scents I picked up last week was somebody smelled like they pooped on themselves (honest!), B.O., and somebody smoking a joint on the dance floor! Do you think my date would get apprehensive if I stuck my nose up his pit tonight and gave it a sniff?

"I'm just checkin' to see if we're compatible..."

Terry "I'd probably do it too" Weaver

That would explain why I have problems being attracted to people. My sinuses are severely messed up! The only scents I picked up last week was somebody smelled like they pooped on themselves (honest!), B.O., and somebody smoking a joint on the dance floor! Do you think my date would get apprehensive if I stuck my nose up his pit tonight and gave it a sniff?

"I'm just checkin' to see if we're compatible..."

Maybe you just need to bone up on your Spanish and move to Madrid.

(I just realized that "bone up" was probably a poor choice of words, but I'm not changing it now.)

^No, that's probably a real good choice of words. I do know most of the Spanish versions of all those appropriate words... it's part of my "emergency Spanish"!

I need to try to head down to South America; Argentina's currency is weaker than ours, so I can act like a 'Sugar Papi' even if I'm not. The boys can party in Madrid, but my funds won't go nearly as far.

Terry

^^I tried to dig up Dr. Wysocki's studies, but only abstracts are available for free. Stupid science journals!

Anyway, that Psychology Today article is pretty bad. The last paragraph counters the earlier point in the article and pretty much echos what I said. Maybe gay men are just attracted to male pheromones in general. Not necessarily a specific gay pheromone that only gay men produce.

This whole pheromones in humans thing is pretty flimsy in general anyway. There isn't a lot of good data to support the idea human behavior is to much extent driven by pheromones. They could be vestigial. Or maybe we just bathe too much to build up enough pheromones to have an effect anymore.

I know what you mean, I think there's definitely something having to do with a scent, but how specific I don't know. It would help explain some gays' gaydar a bit better though. I'm never really good with my gaydar, I have bad allergies! Haha, who knows.

And Terry, go for that armpit.

--Nick

I need to try to head down to South America; Argentina's currency is weaker than ours, so I can act like a 'Sugar Papi' even if I'm not. The boys can party in Madrid, but my funds won't go nearly as far.

Terry

Argentina is on my short list of foreign countries to visit. Though not for quite the same reasons as you. It looks like a beautiful country. Buenos Aires looks like a vibrant, amazing city. They have great wine, excellent beef, big night life scene, etc.

Not really a good coaster country at all, but still looks like a great place to visit.

Argentina is on my short list of foreign countries to visit. Though not for quite the same reasons as you. It looks like a beautiful country. Buenos Aires looks like a vibrant, amazing city. They have great wine, excellent beef, big night life scene, etc.

Not really a good coaster country at all, but still looks like a great place to visit.

My ex lives there and if I decide to go next year he said he will be my tour guide. I just need to save up the money, which shouldn't be that much. Oh and I need to practice my spanish, which shouldn't be that hard with two spanish roommates.

^ looking at your signature this poped into my mind

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bOxQxQgjcI&hl

Hahahaha!!!

I posted that here. Lol.

I LOVE that show. I even own the soundtrack ... and have all the music memorized. Yes, I'm a dork. We are hoping to see it next year on tour. My text message alert is the song 'Omigod You Guys', the opening number from 'Legally Blonde: The Musical'.

I really liked both the movie and the musical, but specially the musical cause im going trough a "omg i love broadway" kind of phase, cause OMG i love broadway musicals, they are soo great

Joel

PS: I think that was my gayest comment ever!!!

I saw Mamma Mia! (The movie) today. I liked it. I saw them on the Tony's when the cast of that show performed. It was awesome.

But Legally Blonde is better!!!

Sorority Girls: Daughter of Delta Nu, sweetheart it's been twelve days. Please let us help you through-

Margot: She's eating Milky Ways!

Pilar: Oh nuh-uh! Tell me those are fun sized! I think he should be shot!

Serena: And let me tell you what, I don't think he's that hot!

Margot: I do!

Serena: Well you're a slut!

Margot: *Gasp* Look ... who ... is talking!

Pilar: Oh nuh-uh! Three words -- Spring Break Cabo!!

And my favorite song/number is 'Positive'! I love the dance break. It's so cool. 'Whipped Into Shape' is another one of my favorite's only because the choreography in that is AMAZING!!!

Here's a trailer I found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKbLKUgX7Ak

• 2 weeks later...

The other day, I attended a lecture regarding racism in the gay community and found it really interesting. After listening to speaker after speak talk about how white people are detested and considered as racist, I find myself a bit confused as to why people think this way. In the past, I have encountered racist gay people, but from all nationalities.

One of the speakers, a gay black man, said:

"I am convinced that 99% of white men are racist. I grew up as as black child terrified of whites. Now, I am a black man just as terrified of gay whites. I am not sure that will ever change."

Perhaps it is because it is not that racially diverse where I come from, but I found that statement to be a bit shocking as he was expressing fear in Caucasians. Racism exists in every culture and in every race, so it really is unfair to label all Caucasians (or most) as being racist when that statement in itself IS racist. Me personally, I have never dated a black man because the black community is quite small here in Germany and the opportunity just never arose. However, that doesn't mean I wouldn't date someone who is black! Quite the opposite actually, I would probably try to pursue him!

Another issue that was being discussed was the fact that many gay Asian men date only white men. My boyfriend in moment is from a Japanese heritage and before we began dating, he told me that most of his previous lovers were from Asian backgrounds! There was a Chinese speaker who referred to white men as Gods for gay Asians. How terrible to say something like this as an Asian! Quite obviously, not all Asians think like that and it's offending to assume they do. This awful stereotype is probably coming from all of the sex tourism in Asia.

I'm so naive for not noticing this problem of racism in our community earlier. What are your thoughts?

^Oooo.... please don't open that can of worms! It boils my blood when I think about it.

All I'm going to say is that I've heard some crazy crap from just about every community (and in my own community as well) and then these same people have the audacity to get up on a Pride float and dance around or want equal marriage rights...

Treat people like you want to be treated, then we'll talk.

Terry "Been called the 'N' word more by gays than anyone else" Weaver

• 4 weeks later...