TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Indiana Beach (IB) Discussion Thread

What djb0808 said is entirely true.  The Music Express might not look like much but it's the best I can remember...preeeettty much anywhere.  They run it flat out and for a long cycle, forwards and backwards.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, mikeykaise said:

I wish KK would run theirs backwards but was told theirs wasn't programmed for that.

They all run on a hydraulic drive and there's really no "programming" needed.  It's just a valve that feeds the hydraulic fluid in the other direction.  Apparently a lot of parks won't run them in reverse though because someone managed to fall out of one years back so now it's a liability issue (see the current discussion in the Lagoon thread...one idiot ruins things for everyone...)  Of course if an operator just says that, people will beg, so they always just claim it can't.

That said, the one at IB is a Mack Musik Express, KK's is a Reverchon Himalaya, and while I definitely can't say for certain that the Reverchon models aren't as good, I've never personally seen one that runes nearly as fast as the best Mack models.  The one at KK was...okay, but not what I'd call fast.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Rai Fox said:

They all run on a hydraulic drive and there's really no "programming" needed.  It's just a valve that feeds the hydraulic fluid in the other direction.  Apparently a lot of parks won't run them in reverse though because someone managed to fall out of one years back so now it's a liability issue (see the current discussion in the Lagoon thread...one idiot ruins things for everyone...)  Of course if an operator just says that, people will beg, so they always just claim it can't.

That said, the one at IB is a Mack Musik Express, KK's is a Reverchon Himalaya, and while I definitely can't say for certain that the Reverchon models aren't as good, I've never personally seen one that runes nearly as fast as the best Mack models.  The one at KK was...okay, but not what I'd call fast.

I agree... theirs could be so much faster.

The swings over the water used to have a trick where they would sharply slow down, making you kinda scoot forward in your seat as if to throw you in the water, but I haven't been in 10 years. Bummer to hear Cornball is getting rough, that was some amazing stand up airtime..

24 minutes ago, DBru said:

^16 years later and I still remember that effect on the Yo-Yo. It was totally terrifying. I hope it still runs the same way!

Was just on it last week; It still runs very well and the tilt still works unlike some of them but, but no tricks with slowing down.  I wonder if that's up to the operator?

Had my first visit here today. We had a great day. Loved the park. Museum and folks in there were great. Cornball front row is so much fun. Rode back once, front several times. Lost Coaster is a trainwreck but super interesting and unique. Steel Hawg was better than I thought it would be.  Fascination was a ton of fun. 

My first Jetstar was awesome. I've been dying to ride a Jetstar model of some sort. Loved it. 

Hope to be back in a year to ride eveything again along with the triple looper. 

Still more than half the pieces seem to still need paint. It's still just the one loop and part of another erected so far. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, JT325 said:

^Let's hope so; there is a big hole where Galaxi used to be.  Those are really fun rides, complete with real air time (where your but leaves the seat. Hi RMC).

My butt leaves the seat on every RMC I ride LOL.  You just gotta know how to not get stapled.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, prozach626 said:

I'm skeptical of IB's wooden coasters with positive reviews, considering it's reasonably close to Holiday World. People in that area might just be used to jack hammering garbage.

In my opinion, your theory is absolutely correct. I did not find any of IB's woodies to be particularly smooth nor worthy of a reride.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, prozach626 said:

I'm skeptical of IB's wooden coasters with positive reviews, considering it's reasonably close to Holiday World. People in that area might just be used to jack hammering garbage.

Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain doesn't jackhammer at all!

• Haha 1

On 9/18/2021 at 7:18 AM, Mike240SX said:

My butt leaves the seat on every RMC I ride LOL.  You just gotta know how to not get stapled.

I'm fairly well versed in not getting stapled; we had to learn it quick when PTC ratchet bars were new in 1990.  Even then, if I don't hold my bar up, that thing cinches down tight.  Not fun for me.  Instead of complaining about it, I'll leave the RMCs as occasional rides... shorter line for everyone else haha.

^I'll agree with you ytterbiumanalyst, Lost Coaster is a little rough and tumble, but doesn't hurt.  Which brings me full circle in this comment: I'll take getting tossed around (love it!) over be confined tightly and jerked around like a ragdoll in a dogs mouth. 

I've always loved Lost Coaster.  They had 3 trains when it was new - and originally wanted to run it without the nets on top!  I'm hoping it's back in reliable running order with at least 2 trains?  Haven't ridden it in years.  Uniqueness always wins in my book.

On 9/18/2021 at 12:21 PM, Mike240SX said:

In my opinion, your theory is absolutely correct. I did not find any of IB's woodies to be particularly smooth nor worthy of a reride.

In my opinion, you are absolutely incorrect! Cornball Express is awesome, loaded with airtime, and definitely not "unreasonably rough." I am a person who doesn't like rough coasters (which Hoosier Hurricane certainly qualifies as), and I love Cornball Express. IB is a treasure!

On 9/19/2021 at 11:14 AM, JT325 said:

confined tightly and jerked around like a ragdoll in a dogs mouth. 

That's the best description of RMC coasters I've ever heard.

On 9/19/2021 at 7:42 PM, DILinator said:

not "unreasonably rough."

I'm not optimistic with a description like that. It's like another way to say "tolerable." A burned steak can be tolerable, as long as it's not burned too badly. Why would I drive four hours for a burned steak?

• Like 1

If somebody gets on ANY wooden roller coaster expecting it to be smooth, they're an ignorant idiot. No such coaster exists. As such, every wooden coaster has a certain level of "roughness", and it's all up to the individual rider's personal tolerance for said roughness that determines what constitutes "reasonable" roughness, and "unreasonable" roughness. As somebody who is not particularly tolerant of rough wooden coasters myself, if I say a coaster is not "unreasonably rough", then you can bet it's not on the rougher side of the wooden coaster spectrum.

On 9/28/2021 at 9:34 AM, prozach626 said:

I'm not optimistic with a description like that. It's like another way to say "tolerable." A burned steak can be tolerable, as long as it's not burned too badly. Why would I drive four hours for a burned steak?

You'd drive four hours for one Schwarzkopf (possibly two, depending on when you go), an insane "WTF just happened to me" ride in Steel Hawg, the best non-staffed-with-scareactors haunted walk-through you'll ever do, and a lot of Knoebel's-esque charm.  From my one trip to this park this past summer, that's what I enjoyed about it.  The woodies left me wanting more, and yeah, Superstition Mountain was definitely in that "barely tolerable" category, but the other two were "reasonable" - I've definitely ridden rougher.

6 minutes ago, DILinator said:

If somebody gets on ANY wooden roller coaster expecting it to be smooth, they're an ignorant idiot. No such coaster exists.

Mystic Timbers and Woodstock Express (KD) would like to have a word....

I love Mystic Timbers, but calling it "smooth" is intellectually dishonest. Sure, it's one of the smoothest wooden coasters out there. But wooden coasters are not smooth. Mystic Timbers is also a new coaster. Give it 20, 40 years, and see how it rides.

15 hours ago, DILinator said:

If somebody gets on ANY wooden roller coaster expecting it to be smooth, they're an ignorant idiot.

I expect a wooden roller coaster to feel like I'm floating through air. So now what? You got me.