TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

p. 751 - Lightning Rod expected to reopen with the park!

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You mean because now it might feel like it's... rolling and... coasting and... open?

There was a time in my life when I would have cared what Lightning Rod was made of.  So refreshing to give precisely zero effs. I just want to go to Dollywood and not worry about it being open! 

Yeah, the difference to the rider between I-Box track and the current track is really minimal. The only major difference would be that the ride would actually be open when you wanted to ride it and wh

Posted Images

The thing that really stands out with RMC to me is that they often intentionally play around with the heart line position, not overly concerned about having totally neutral transitions like B&M. That's evident in some of these elements like the 90 degree camelback.

Schilke your a genius.

The thing that really stands out with RMC to me is that they often intentionally play around with the heart line position, not overly concerned about having totally neutral transitions like B&M. That's evident in some of these elements like the 90 degree camelback.

Schilke your a genius.

That was a trick I used to do with NoLimits back when the FVD equations were just coming around.

The pullouts on those drops look very shallow. They're going to make Lightning Rod very re-rideable.

You're going to be going hyper coaster speeds at that point so it makes sense the pullouts would be large. That giant wave turn is going to be incredible, I'm picturing it's gonna be a huge "H*LL YEAH" moment.

When an RMC opens, the question on my mind isn't "is it good?", but "Is it the best in the world?"

One of these days one will be, I imagine.

I wish Dollywood would've taken the drone a bit more over towards the quad down. The structure is done for it so you can get a pretty good visual of it. Still, this coaster takes every nook of the terrain and uses it to its advantage. That seems to be a trend that Dollywood has going for them, and I really hope they keep it up. Out of all their coasters, I can tell already this one is going to be up there with Thunderhead. Will the two best coasters in the park be the two wooden coasters?

I wish Dollywood would've taken the drone a bit more over towards the quad down. The structure is done for it so you can get a pretty good visual of it. Still, this coaster takes every nook of the terrain and uses it to its advantage. That seems to be a trend that Dollywood has going for them, and I really hope they keep it up. Out of all their coasters, I can tell already this one is going to be up there with Thunderhead. Will the two best coasters in the park be the two wooden coasters?

Yes they will be, not a bad thing though. I hope they eventually work with TGG on a project to officially complete the cycle. A nice collection of wood coasters is something that can really define a special park's uniqueness from cookie cutter outlets like your standard Six Flags. And i'm pretty sure Dollywood has achieved higher revenue than most Six Flags parks even before LR was conceived. Thank God there are no (right twix, left twix garbage) on any rides at the park, and never will be! I love Dollywood, I think they have the coaster additions thing going in an advanced direction. What i think they could do better is add to the larger flat ride department of a theme park. Some off thier busy day crowd issues could be easily solved by adding some traditional tride and true flats in random areas of the park.

No it's most certainly not a bad thing. Yes I see where you're coming from. You know, I know they have Rockin Roadway, but I could've seen them adding a new flat with this project. (VERY small flat) Then again that area is very very tight and compact. I mean the start to LR practically touches over into RR's "territory". I think RR could use a bit of a touch up though. Some panels redone, etc.

Awesome pictures! A lot has been said about the giant wave turn, but I have to say that the following hill with the 90-degree outside banking looks like absolute madness!

I'm probably looking at this wrong and I shouldn't even bother asking but does it look to anyone else like there are no supports under the valley between the two first drops? Im sure it's just an illusion with the snow and all but it looks bizarre.

I'm probably looking at this wrong and I shouldn't even bother asking but does it look to anyone else like there are no supports under the valley between the two first drops? Im sure it's just an illusion with the snow and all but it looks bizarre.

Yeah I don't see any supports either. Interesting. Maybe that gap is just temporary if it is there?

I'm pretty sure that's a service road under that part. I think they are waiting for the quad down to get tracked and then close down the service road then finish the supports for that section. If you look closely, you can see the footers waiting to be installed on the just to the right of the gap.

I'm pretty sure that's a service road under that part. I think they are waiting for the quad down to get tracked and then close down the service road then finish the supports for that section. If you look closely, you can see the footers waiting to be installed on the just to the right of the gap.

Ah that makes sense - that gap looked pretty crazy though - was wondering how the engineers could explain/justify the that one!

It sure looks like they have a lot of work to go before opening in 8 weeks: connect the track between the first two turns; finish building the quad down; track all the way from the far end of the valley through the quad down... and from the instagram pic posted a few days ago, the final brake run isn't built yet... and we haven't seen whether the final turnaround element is built yet... and the installation of the magnets... and all that before testing (and this is basically a prototype).

Fingers crossed but I'm not sure I'd be booking travel for March just yet!

When completed, this coaster will be one of the 5 most aesthetically pleasing attractions in the entire world. The animation did not do the coaster/landscape interactions the justice they deserve. Stunning.

One fear of mine is how drawn out the valley of the first drop is, as well as the wave turn. However, after those giant elements, all those other insane maneuvers appear to be sharp and low to the ground, so the pace and intensity should continue to build throughout the layout. After riding WC and it being eye-to-eye with El Toro as my #1 overall, I have zero doubts about how good Lightning Rod wilk be.

It sure looks like they have a lot of work to go before opening in 8 weeks: connect the track between the first two turns; finish building the quad down; track all the way from the far end of the valley through the quad down... and from the instagram pic posted a few days ago, the final brake run isn't built yet... and we haven't seen whether the final turnaround element is built yet... and the installation of the magnets... and all that before testing (and this is basically a prototype).

Fingers crossed but I'm not sure I'd be booking travel for March just yet!

That quad down to the turn around is really low to the ground. They'll have those bents up in no time. Someone posted a pic of them installing the magnets in the last week. I'd be willing to bet that they have the last piece of track installed in four weeks time and they'll start testing with 2-3 weeks to go. After that, it really depends how RMC decides to test it. B&M did what felt like a million test half-launches on Thunderbird before they finally did a full-launch during testing last year. There is no telling what RMC might do or how the testing will go. I'd still say there is a very good chance Lightning Rod will be completed and open on time.

The LSM's are being installed, the quad down just needs to be tracked, and the break run is almost finished. This coaster is actually almost completed. With the pace they're working it'll be up in no time. They have a crew working in the valley and a crew working in the front. So two cranes are now active to get this thing up and running.

image.thumb.jpeg.40b04053912281ef8faa3ea839bd5cd1.jpeg

image.jpeg.d80fbffbc543b95343a56918fd8d7ea1.jpeg

Edited by Dollywoodlover20