TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Why does everybody say ejector air time is so good? It sucks compared to floaty. I much prefer air time coasters to intensity coasters like maverick.

Just a matter of opinion, and I think enthusiasts lean towards ejector because we are seasoned riders and become desensitized to the experience and seek higher intensity.

I personally love ejector and find most floater to leave me wanting more. Skyrush is amazing to me while most B&M hypers don't impress me with their airtime with Goliath at SFOG being the exception (and still leaving me wanting more powerful airtime).

I can safely say that Lightning Rod is the best coaster I've been on outside of the Northeast/East Coast. It is a fantastic, perfectly paced ride. I've only been on it once and it was the first ride of the day with a full train of riders, so it is a little too early to compare it in intensity and airtime to my other favorites, but it was quite the first experience.

The launch was fun, not intense and I actually felt the brakes hit at the top. Going over the crest of the lift was incredible seeing the entire hidden portion of the ride for the first time. I rode in the 2nd row and was out of my seat almost as soon as we started down the first drop. The first half of the wave turn really didn't make much an impression, but the 2nd half really whips you down to the next elements. I loved the twist and shout and the other element (can't remember the name that comes after the wave turn). Really reminded me of some of the elements of Outlaw Run. The quad down was amazing. You could hear the passengers behind me gasp as they realized what was about to happen. The airtime was close to ejector. I'm sure different rides will vary, but for being the first fully-loaded train, I anticipate some amazing airtime in the future here. The half loop at the end was the perfect way to end the ride. You get all of the constant speed elements and then the one "stall" element right at the end. This is what I think ultimately will put this one ahead of Outlaw Run for me. The pacing is perfect on Lightning Rod.

I'll probably be heading back at some point this weekend. Need to ride again and again.

Thanks for the review, Eric! Glad to hear this ride will be killer at all hours of the day and appreciate the comparison to Outlaw Run.

Just a matter of opinion, and I think enthusiasts lean towards ejector because we are seasoned riders and become desensitized to the experience and seek higher intensity.

I personally love ejector and find most floater to leave me wanting more. Skyrush is amazing to me while most B&M hypers don't impress me with their airtime with Goliath at SFOG being the exception (and still leaving me wanting more powerful airtime).

Nooo, please don't feed the trolls.

Why does everybody say ejector air time is so good? It sucks compared to floaty. I much prefer air time coasters to intensity coasters like maverick.

Why do people say the color is blue is so good? It sucks compared to red.

Why do you think that everyone has to comply with yours and only your opinion? I personally think floater airtime is for pussies that can't handle a real ride. But I'm not going to sit here and complain about your opinion. I'll just be happy you won't be in line in front of me for the really kick-ass coasters!

Ugh, now I'm wanting to blow a bunch of dough on flying out to Knoxville this summer. I was going to hold off until next year, but two new kick-ass RMC's in the area? Should have done last year's trip this year.

What's the thought on length? Does it feel short, or just right? I looks like it ends too soon since it has a big drop right into the brake run, but RMC never tries to let a coaster bleed out into the brakes.

Rode this bad boy twice today! Here's a review for those interested:

They let 30 or so people in at a time. It does seem like that there will always be assigned seats. I'm basing this off how the queue is set up. Could be wrong but it does seem like it is more controlled.

This coaster is all about the launch! You are on the train very briefly before you are launched up the hill. The launch seemed faster than what I had expected. You really fly until 3/4 the way up where you feel a slight momentum shift slower. The first "fake drop" is air-time intense, but the actual drop almost takes your breath away. I love the banked first turn, although this is the slowest the train goes. The continual speed really helps make this ride.

I've not ridden as many coasters as many of you I'm sure, but I have never ridden a coaster with so much airtime. Literally to the very last drop that leads you to the station. My bottom was in the air most of the time I felt.

As for the length, I think it could have been a bit longer, but I won't complain about that. The length of the ride was not a negative at all.

This is a must ride.

Rode this bad boy twice today! Here's a review for those interested:

They let 30 or so people in at a time. It does seem like that there will always be assigned seats. I'm basing this off how the queue is set up. Could be wrong but it does seem like it is more controlled.

This coaster is all about the launch! You are on the train very briefly before you are launched up the hill. The launch seemed faster than what I had expected. You really fly until 3/4 the way up where you feel a slight momentum shift slower. The first "fake drop" is air-time intense, but the actual drop almost takes your breath away. I love the banked first turn, although this is the slowest the train goes. The continual speed really helps make this ride.

I've not ridden as many coasters as many of you I'm sure, but I have never ridden a coaster with so much airtime. Literally to the very last drop that leads you to the station. My bottom was in the air most of the time I felt.

As for the length, I think it could have been a bit longer, but I won't complain about that. The length of the ride was not a negative at all.

This is a must ride.

Thank you (and ernierocker) for the reviews! You two have pretty consistent reviews! Basically lots of airtime and great pacing (except for the wave turn). If this coaster is better than Outlaw Run, it will automatically be my favorite wooden coaster to date!

I agree; the length is not a major issue. For comparison, Outlaw Run felt slightly short to me although it is an amazing ride. Lightning Rod does everything it needs to do in the length of track it has.

Edited by ernierocker

These reviews are making me excited for my visit! Being out of your seat most of the ride triggers a sense of natural fear in the brain which I love. Constant speed? Give it to me. I really want to experience the outward bank most of all besides the quad down. I was watching a IG video from the line and overheard a guy say "This coaster is amazing, it throws you out of your seat over and over." So seems like everyone is happy with it.

I agree; the length is not a major issue. For comparison, Outlaw Run felt slightly short to me although it is an amazing ride. Lightning Rod does everything it needs to do in the length of track it has.

Agree with your last sentence 100%.

I agree; the length is not an issue. For comparison, Outlaw Run felt slightly short although it is an amazing ride. Lightning Rod does everything it needs to do in the length of track it has.

It's funny... Looking at technical length, Outlaw Run is VERY short... But it packs SO much into every foot of track that it never lets up, and doesn't feel incomplete. Goliath at SFGAm, although longer feels a lot shorter to me. It has fewer individual elements (just a couple large ones), but feels incomplete to me. Lightning Rod is longer than both these coasters, but still not "long" (under 4000'), but I think it will be a lot more comparable to Outlaw Run. There's so many terrain-hugging elements and not a lot of places where the train gets a chance to breathe. I don't think length will be an issue for most people!

I am going to assume that the assigned seating is temporary...

Completely assigned seating is temporary during the technical rehearsals. These rehearsals also give the hosts a much-needed sense of how the ride will operate normally when we have big crowds. As has been stated, assigned seating for rides at Dollywood is not common, and this is a practice run for many of the hosts. Once they get more accustomed to it, they will be able to take requests for front or back.

That's good to know about the length. I know Wicked Cyclone is different but it was the shortest RMC that I've been and length didn't even matter. It was just kick a$$ fun and did so much in its space.

Because it's pretty f***in' awesome. I mean I do like me some floaty air, but the feeling of being thrown out of your seat is pretty amazing. In my opinion, it's more thrilling too.

I am going to assume that the assigned seating is temporary...

Completely assigned seating is temporary during the technical rehearsals. These rehearsals also give the hosts a much-needed sense of how the ride will operate normally when we have big crowds. As has been stated, assigned seating for rides at Dollywood is not common, and this is a practice run for many of the hosts. Once they get more accustomed to it, they will be able to take requests for front or back.

That's good. I am glad to hear that there will be some more organization in the station than on other rides. While I like to pick my seat, I like to be able to stand comfortably in the station, which is sometimes a problem on the coasters already at the park.