TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

^ Thunderhead was by far the most pleasant surprise for me when I visited the park back in March. IMO one of the best GCIs I've been on, right up with Lightning Racer.

I rode backrow, and held on for dear life the whole time. It takes a lot for me to put my arms down. And the thing was a walkon!!!

^ Thunderhead was by far the most pleasant surprise for me when I visited the park back in March. IMO one of the best GCIs I've been on, right up with Lightning Racer.

I rode backrow, and held on for dear life the whole time. It takes a lot for me to put my arms down. And the thing was a walkon!!!

Back row Thunderhead is an amazing ride! Love all of the airtime and turns!

Irvine Ondrey have posted some updates from Lightning Rod on their facebook page.

Interestingly, someone asked about the rumoured overspeed and Brian replied that there's never been an issue with the speed and that they don't know where those rumours have come from!

Thank you so much for linking this. There you have it... NO! Lightning Rod was NOT travelling 90mph, the launch was not "too strong". As an engineer, I thought that rumor sounded fishy, and people here have been repeating it like it's fact... you guys will trust anything posted with a "source". Most stuff on Screamscape is untrue to say the least.

I've been reading Screamscape for many years, long before I started reading anything here on TPR and a lot that Screamscape says DOES come true or close to it. I don't know why you would call out Screamscape like that. I read that rumor long before Screamscape ever said anything about it. And also they did say it was a rumor...Not fact. Here is what was said on Screamscape.

(5/19/16) According to a reader who visited Dollywood, they were told that Lightning Rod has entered the final testing phase and is set to begin employee training as soon as they finish checking off all the safety and operational procedure documentation. Best guess right now is that it may be ready to open in early to mid June.

I don't know how true this last part is, but hearding an interesting rumor that Lightning Rod is running a lot faster than originally intended. Instead of maxing out at 73mph, Lightning Rod has been clocked blazing through the hillside at over 80mph. Nothing was said about adding trims to the experience, so Lightning Rod may really be a wild experience when it opens.

I don't know, to me, looks like they covered their ass when they said, "I don't know how true this last part is..."

First TPR post for me! Thanks to all for the updates and reviews on LR!

Was at DW a month ago, and spent at least 20 minutes just standing there looking longingly at LR. My wife was very patient with me! They rolled a train onto the track at one point, and was hoping to see it test on the hill, but no luck. Now trying to figure out how to get back soon to ride.

What a great park, though! A nice collection of unique coasters and Thunderhead was the highlight! Such a crazy fast layout, perhaps my favorite wooden coaster (although, I haven't been on that many of the consensus "greats").

Chiming in from the park again today to say that THUNDERHEAD is absolutely incredible and out of control and I don't know why more people don't talk about it. Holy cow.

I agree...Thunderhead is an amazing coaster and my favorite in the park...that is until I ride Lightning Rod and then we'll see.

Chiming in from the park again today to say that THUNDERHEAD is absolutely incredible and out of control and I don't know why more people don't talk about it. Holy cow.

Thunderhead for me at the moment is my #1 wooden coaster beating El Toro and Lightning Racer for me. Incredible intense ride.

I am going to assume that the assigned seating is temporary...

As has been stated, assigned seating for rides at Dollywood is not common,

Pretty sure EVERY train that leaves Mystery Mine is assigned seating. Maybe all Dollywood host don't know what they're talking about as proven again here.

Mystery Mine assigns a row, not a seat and Mountain Slidewinder has to assign seating to properly distribute weight in each boat. These have been the only rides to assign placement in the park before LRod. Barnstormer assigns you a side of a swing but not a seat.

THANKS

Well if we are going to go this route, your post was still incorrect. LR does not assign "seats" either. They tell you what "row" to go to and you pick your own seat.

Really, you're going to correct someone on the whole "seats" vs "rows" comment? Dude, take a break and walk away from the computer for a bit. No one wants to read posts like these.

I am going to assume that the assigned seating is temporary...

As has been stated, assigned seating for rides at Dollywood is not common,

Pretty sure EVERY train that leaves Mystery Mine is assigned seating. Maybe all Dollywood host don't know what they're talking about as proven again here.

Mystery Mine assigns a row, not a seat and Mountain Slidewinder has to assign seating to properly distribute weight in each boat. These have been the only rides to assign placement in the park before LRod. Barnstormer assigns you a side of a swing but not a seat.

THANKS

Well if we are going to go this route, your post was still incorrect. LR does not assign "seats" either. They tell you what "row" to go to and you pick your own seat.

Really, you're going to correct someone on the whole "seats" vs "rows" comment? Dude, take a break and walk away from the computer for a bit. No one wants to read posts like these.

Obviously you did AND took the time to post back. Maybe you should read every post on this board if you think these are the only ones like it.

Edited by WildEagle2014

Two things about the reviews so far that surprise me: (1) The train slows so significantly on the wave turn, and (2) that the quadruple down is not quite what we all expected it to be. It will be interesting to see if the coaster speeds up much once its broken in by mid summer.

Here's some new drama: Dollywood is overpriced as hell to get in and Lightning Rod wasnt all that. Discuss.

Okay let's do it.

In my opinion Dollywood is one of the best parks in America, the Season Pass pays for itself in less than 2 visits and then you can go back for the #1 Theme Park Christmas event in America (and it deserves that title). Mystery Mine, Tennessee Tornado, Thunderhead and Wild Eagle are awesome. The shows are awesome, the supporting rides are awesome, the atmosphere is awesome, the food is awesome, they have cinnamon bread which is holy sh*t amazing and nobody is going to take one negative review of Lightning Rod as gospel when most reviews are absolutely glowing. Plus even if Lightning Rod were the worst coaster ever built the park would still be exceptional.

How's that?

Two things about the reviews so far that surprise me: (1) The train slows so significantly on the wave turn, and (2) that the quadruple down is not quite what we all expected it to be. It will be interesting to see if the coaster speeds up much once its broken in by mid summer.

It was only the first rmc I have been on, but it seemed like someone hit the brakes popping over the first "down". It was bizarre. All in all a great solid ride but I just feel like it was missing a huge standout element to make it incredible.

Here's some new drama: Dollywood is overpriced as hell to get in and Lightning Rod wasnt all that. Discuss.

Okay let's do it.

In my opinion Dollywood is one of the best parks in America, the Season Pass pays for itself in less than 2 visits and then you can go back for the #1 Theme Park Christmas event in America (and it deserves that title). Mystery Mine, Tennessee Tornado, Thunderhead and Wild Eagle are awesome. The shows are awesome, the supporting rides are awesome, the atmosphere is awesome, the food is awesome, they have cinnamon bread which is holy sh*t amazing and nobody is going to take one negative review of Lightning Rod as gospel when most reviews are absolutely glowing. Plus even if Lightning Rod were the worst coaster ever built the park would still be exceptional.

How's that?

I feel like I paid 70 bucks to go to a park that put more emphasis on food and shows. I know everyone is different but I was hoping for more rides. And the collection of coasters include 3 family coasters, a short arrow looper and the tamest b@m I can remember being on. It was nice theming and scenery and what have you but after 4 hours at the park I really struggled to come up with more to do that didn't involve eating overpriced food or watching shows.

The only coasters worth a re-ride in my opinion were the two woodies. Which isn't worth 35 bucks a piece.

Edited by DefeatistNation

Why anyone wouldn't want to watch the shows or eat the food at Dollywood is beyond me.

I totally disagree with you on basically everything but to each his own I guess. I love all of Dollywood's coasters.

Not being argumentive, but out of genuine curiosity how many other parks have you been to?

I don't go to any shows, Maybe the bird one but that's it. We loved all of the coasters on our visit the year Wild Eagle opened (except Blazing Fury if that can be called a coaster). Sounds like the park just isn't for you get over it and move on.

Why anyone wouldn't want to watch the shows or eat the food at Dollywood is beyond me.

I totally disagree with you on basically everything but to each his own I guess. I love all of Dollywood's coasters.

Not being argumentive, but out of genuine curiosity how many other parks have you been to?

I'm about to lose all my cool points but 50 parks, 268 coasters (269 if you count mountain coasters). Of those, Dollywood is my 3rd favorite park, right behind Knoebels and Cedar Point, beating out both Busch Parks, Magic Kingdom, Universal Orlando and a bunch of other awesome parks.

Mystery Mine and Thunderhead are both top 20 rides for me, though admittedly I think very highly of Mystery Mine compared to the general enthusiast consensus. I've also only been to Dollywood during Smoky Mountain Christmas but all non-water rides are open for the event.

Edited by coasterbill

Okay let's do it.

How's that?

I feel like I paid 70 bucks to go to a park that put more emphasis on food and shows. I know everyone is different but I was hoping for more rides. And the collection of coasters include 3 family coasters, a short arrow looper and the tamest b@m I can remember being on. It was nice theming and scenery and what have you but after 4 hours at the park I really struggled to come up with more to do that didn't involve eating overpriced food or watching shows.

The only coasters worth a re-ride in my opinion were the two wopdies. Which isn't worth 35 bucks a piece.

I know people are have opinions, but everything you've posted on here has been so negative. Your review of LR is very strange (you think it needs an inversion? really?). Not everyone needs to agree that Dollywood is the best theme park, but being negative for the sake of negativity is just annoying. I've been to 75 theme parks and I find Dollywood to be in my top 5 favorite!

I honestly don't mean to come across so negative. I think lightning rod was great, but yeah I think it would have put it into the stratosphere if it had a signature RMC stall or corked roll.

Also, ever since I was little, I go to theme parks for honestly, only the rollercoasters so I suppose the park just isn't made for me.

Carry on! Also for what it's worth I think Thunderhead is one of the absolute best coasters I have ever been on

I honestly don't mean to come across so negative. I think lightning rod was great, but yeah I think it would have put it into the stratosphere if it had a signature RMC stall or corked roll.

Also, ever since I was little, I go to theme parks for honestly, only the rollercoasters so I suppose the park just isn't made for me.

Carry on! Also for what it's worth I think Thunderhead is one of the absolute best coasters I have ever been on

Here's your difference. Cedar Point- Amuesment Park, Dollywood- THEME Park. They have coasters and all yea but they focus a lot on shows, food, culture, and when they build a ride it is maxed out in theming. Theming is something Dollywood is known for. Even to the tiniest detail.

I feel like I paid 70 bucks to go to a park that put more emphasis on food and shows.

The only coasters worth a re-ride in my opinion were the two woodies. Which isn't worth 35 bucks a piece.

Well, that's what it is. Heaven forbid a park try to be more than just cookie cutter rides plopped on a corn field and surrounded by asphalt.

No really though, I get it. It's good to see a different perspective once in awhile, but as others have said, maybe you should just stick to Six Flags and Cedar Fair. I know I'd be just fine if DW got rid of all the coasters and went back to just shows, music and crafts. I'm a coaster nut myself, but for me the finer aspects of DW outweigh them. You'll notice DW gets a lot more guests per year than most parks with it's relative slate of rides, so obviously many agree. I'm actually surprised there aren't more parks that focus on more than just rides, given the success of most parks that tie into music and movies.

But you didn't find Mystery Mine, Blazing Fury, and Tennessee Tornado worth re-rides? That just seems purposefully shallow to me. It would be hard to stay a coaster enthusiasts if I had such narrow tastes. I was underwhelmed by some of the coasters on my first visit, but I'd still probably ride them all day if given the chance.