TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

well, that's certainly the best and biggest ride announced this year ( at sfsl anyway) - gotta love park hyperbole...

another carnival flat ride.... might as well move everything to the parking lot hire some carnys and be done with it....

how is it that replacing a broken/missing ride with virtually the same ride is some sort of upgrade aside from being newer?? net gain for the park = 0.

just wait a few more years and new striping in the parking lot and resurfacing the park asphalt will be your upgrade.

I wonder if they would have even bothered replacing fling if not for the yearly announcement. New scrambler next year?.... can't wait.

my two cents

K

I'm calling it now that one of those pendulum rides will replace Excalibur if they can't get it fixed by 2020. Coaster in 2021?

I don't know if it will happen but I think 2021 is the best shot. That will be the 50th anniv. of the park which would be easily played up in a big way through the local media. And I agree while the enthusiasts are obviously not thrilled with a flat, at least it is a new ride and not a hand me down. This isn't the end of the world people.

I'm calling it now that one of those pendulum rides will replace Excalibur if they can't get it fixed by 2020. Coaster in 2021?

The 50th anniversary of the park is definitely the best shot. I'd also agree that if Excalibur can't be fixed, a Discovery is the most logical thing to insert especially give the quantity that six flags has been buying them at. With the various installations of them this year, what all SF chain parks won't have one besides SFSL?

The 50th anniversary of the park is definitely the best shot.

I gotta wonder if Corp even knows the Park's 50th actually is.

Supergirl !? ... ugh, awful awful name. It doesn't fit in that area at all. Can't Corp spend a few more minutes and be a bit more creative?

Agree with many of the posts above, definitely just a wash replacing old ride with similar new ride. Name-doesn't fit the area at all, but since when did the Six Flags mean anything anyway. Queue-No shade or cover at all. Hopefully it has a cool lighting packaging that can be seen the dozen or so times a year that the park is open into dark.

You can't tell much from those pics, but I'm certain the queue will have covering. Catwoman Whip here at SFOT has a similar queue structure and is completely covered with tarp. I'm sure Supergirl's queue will have similar covering. As for the light package, Supergirl should have the same one as Catwoman.

Here'a a preview of the lighting package!

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

According to the ride rendering on the SFSTL Facebook page, we are getting the smaller 24 passenger version. Because of course we are

While it’s definitely the best replacement for the Highland Fling, it’s pretty disappointing that corporate decides to use a simple replacement as our “incredibly thrilling” (or whatever hyperbolic language they used) big! New! Attraction! for 2019.

Will probably discontinue the membership that I never use.

According to the ride rendering on the SFSTL Facebook page, we are getting the smaller 24 passenger version. Because of course we are

While it’s definitely the best replacement for the Highland Fling, it’s pretty disappointing that corporate decides to use a simple replacement as our “incredibly thrilling” (or whatever hyperbolic language they used) big! New! Attraction! for 2019.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw those pics, that it had to be the smaller version. But it should still be a fun ride though.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw those pics, that it had to be the smaller version. But it should still be a fun ride though.

I almost feel like a smaller version should be able to produce a more intense ride

Yes, and Fireball and Spinsanity have the best lights in the park, save for the ferris wheel. At least this influx of new flats helps in that department big time. A Discovery would really brighten up the skyline.

And for the folks dissatisfied, best to just vote with the wallet. I think the ride will be great and an endeavor is a cool flat...but I'll be taking at least a year off from passes.

I think I should offer this word of caution to anyone planning to ride this new Endeavor. This ride pulls a lot of G's and is essentially a vomit machine. I've nearly lost my lunch on Catwoman Whip on several occasions. It seems more intense to me than a regular Enterprise ride. If it's anything like ours here at SFOT, then it will have to be shut down periodically whilst someone's vomit is being cleaned out of a chair.

As we all knew this is what we were getting, which is fine, a great little flat, my thought is we still got the shaft. If Highland fling weren't to have broken down, what would we have gotten then?? I think a double install would have been the right thing to do, but hey, we're SFSTL, to corporate we're nobody

As we all knew this is what we were getting, which is fine, a great little flat, my thought is we still got the shaft. If Highland fling weren't to have broken down, what would we have gotten then?? I think a double install would have been the right thing to do, but hey, we're SFSTL, to corporate we're nobody

Even though other parks get double or triple flat installs I've long resigned myself to the fact that we NEVER will.

Even with a nice Troika in corporate ownership available we still get one ride.

Oh and if Fling hadn't kicked the bucket we all know that Troika was ours. I'm not sure how much longer Fling would have lasted anyway even without the failure. Those wheels are disappearing everywhere.

that was my point - losing rides(permanent breakdown and failure) will happen from time to time and sometimes if the ride selection is large enough in a park no big deal.

SFSL is was down 2 rides(fling and Xcalibur). I guess we wait till the end of next year to find out that Xcalibur is gone forever; then we get a replacement for that as the next big ride.

this will enable SFSL to always be replacing something without ever making a real investment in the park. pick the worst ride each year, close it for a season then replace it, with a newer copy. It doesn't seem to hurt pass/membership sales and the park will remain a giant summer babysitter for the youth of St Louis. for good or bad.

another few cents

K

that was my point - losing rides(permanent breakdown and failure) will happen from time to time and sometimes if the ride selection is large enough in a park no big deal.

SFSL is was down 2 rides(fling and Xcalibur). I guess we wait till the end of next year to find out that Xcalibur is gone forever; then we get a replacement for that as the next big ride.

We were actually down 4 rides counting Shazam and Colossus. One has reopened and now we know one is being replaced so we're down to two that are down - Colossus and Xcalibur.

I do expect Xcalibur to reopen as the park supposedly has the replacement component on hand now (they'd have to if they originally aimed at an August open). And that component wasn't cheap.

I'd be very ok with losing Xcalibur and getting a Giant Discovery in its place.

I think many of us would be happy. But barring a Fling-like failure of yet another thing next year I don't see it happening for a while. Which also makes me happy because it is pretty unique.

Why would they destroy the current queue building just to put up a bunch of tarps? That makes no sense. Likely they'll keep the current queue and just pop in the new ride in its spot. Doubt they'd pay extra for lights they'll never use, but would be nice.
The current one might not meet current building codes or safety requirements, particularly the stairs to the operator booth. Odd stair spacing and a place to smack your head if you weren't careful.

I think this will look great when it's done. I'm not crazy about a superhero theme in Britannia but this might bring a retheme of the area. Hopefully this brings a much need cosmetic restoration to the Carousel since it's right across the midway.

They use the lights on Fireball and Spinsainty, don't see why they wouldn't put them on this.

Our park does not maintain lighting packages at all. They let sky screamer lights fail and have not fixed. Fireballs lights glitch. A large amount of lights are out at Spinsanity. They killed the chasers of the eagle. They killed the pumpkin on the wheel. Sure they might work for a season or two. Which is sad. Lights at night are awesome.

Would it kill Six Flags & Cedar Fair to blast some music w/ their carnival rides? [EDIT: Sorry this isn't clear, I messed up quoting the post w/ the video of the SFoT lighting package]

This light package SCREAMS fancy European carnival to me and all of those rides are made better by a thumping soundtrack. Maybe they could just crank it at night for a different experience?

Anyways, I can't wait to go ride this next year.

It's definitely the 24 passenger version, it specifically says so on the ride description page. "Super Stats: SUPERGIRL is set to land at Six Flags St. Louis Spring 2019. Guests must be 48 inches and up to ride. SUPERGIRL carries 24 passengers per flight."

Am I counting right on the SFOT video, that Over Texas has the 48 passenger version? It's kind of hard to tell.