TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

Does anyone else think the 95 degree banking will be like a former Six Flags park where people speak Dutch style dive that was featured on their flagship coaster?

The name's Goliath but that doesn't help much when dealing with Six Flags.

Translation -

"Do you think the 95 Degree Banking will be like the Stengel Dive on Walibi World's Goliath?"

Mean Streak has a very sound structure, every time I've rode i don't see as much sway as I do with others. But with SoB... I don't think that structure can handle much change at all. Especially if the steel track and trains are heavier, which caused SoB to rupture.

According to Amusement Today, "the steel track is about the same weight as the former 9-ply wooden track complete with steel track and track bolts." As far as trains go, my guess is that they would probably be the same weight, or possibly even lighter due to newer technology. That's assuming brand new trains would be manufactured.

Also, is it just me, or did the guy in the video a few pages back say that the first drop is going to be 79 degrees? If so, then awesome!

Yeah, that's pretty badass. Especially considering El Toro has a drop of 76 degrees, T-Express has a drop of 77 degrees, and Millennium Force has a drop of 80 degrees.

^^^

I doubt it. If they stick to the same layout there really much of a chance that the banking will be the same as the Stengel Dive, because the Texas Giant's layout is pretty much a modified figure eight. Even if it could be the same, I'm pretty sure that the Stengel Dive is banked a little bit more than 95 degrees

Since Texas doesn't have that many big wooden coasters, it's kind of disappointing to see it lose it's authenticity. However, it's exciting to see major refurbs happen to it. I'm really excited to see the outcome. I wish they would redo The Rattler (and of course do away with the stupid helix crap). I rode it (Rattler) before the redo and the drop and fan turn was much better before. That's another conversation, though.

I mean, I would count Boardwalk Bullet as a somewhat legit wood coaster. Just Sayin'. This is very interesting, and bizzar(O) all at once. Pretty pumped though to see what happens.

No doubt! I'm really curious to see the end result. I live about 20 mins away from the Bullet and I like it. I don't know that I would want them to change it up just to entice. BUT, I'm excited to see what happens.

^There are two separate updates about the ride today. One showing the new ride and what it will be, and one confirming the steel track.

This is a pretty big deal in the roller coaster world and we thought it warranted two updates, especially if someone checked the first one, then didn't see the second article as well!

I could see Texas Giant with trains like those on Falken in Farup Sommerland. They seem like the most logical choice and also seem to be slightly better than the trains running on Son of Beast (I'm not sure. I've never ridden Falken, so I can't compare).

Does anyone else think the 95 degree banking will be like a former Six Flags park where people speak Dutch style dive that was featured on their flagship coaster?

The name's Goliath but that doesn't help much when dealing with Six Flags.

Translation -

"Do you think the 95 Degree Banking will be like the Stengel Dive on Walibi World's Goliath?"

That is funny as crap! You made my day Robb!

I completely agree that it should not count as a wood coaster. The whole idea behind a wood coaster is that you have a half inch thick steel rail connected to several layers of wood. Whatever the manufacturer decides to do from there doesn't matter, as long as that part is constructed as described.

The fact that they're keeping wood trains on this ride does not mean that it is a wood coaster. Yes, it has wood supports, but to me it seems like they're only keeping those supports so that they can continue to call it Texas Giant and advertise it by using its original reputation to their advantage. Yes it's smart, but it does not count as a wood coaster, no matter what they advertise it as.

I'm still not convinced that this ride will even function as they have planned. The fact of the matter is that they still have "boxcar" type trains on the ride, which is probably a main contributor to the ride roughening up. It would be wise for them to get trains that don't have two fixed sets of wheels on each car.

Overall I think this is a very good idea and good marketing move by Six Flags. It will be a great addition/ upgrade to Six Flags Over Texas and I think it will get a lot of attention from park go-ers.

Edited by sixflagsguy5

Im keeping my fingers crossed that Gerstlauer is designing new trains for this project and we wont see the horrible trains we are thinking of running on this coaster

Whatever happened to Megazeph and Twisted Twins Gerstlauer Trains??? I hope they don't plan on putting those old style ones back on!!

The new Gerstlauer trains on Mammut were okay, but I can't imagine them on a coaster as big as Texas Giant.

The Megazeph trains went to SFSTL in the 07-08 off season and Twisted Twins trains arrived sometime in May or June of 09. All the trains were scraped for spare parts for the Boss. I was really hoping that SFSTL would put different trains on this ride because it would be so much better than the Gerstlauer Trains.

I'm not sure how true this is but i heard the Boss tested with the Screaming Eagle trains because the Grestlauer Trains had not arrived yet, and ran for Them for Media Day.

Im keeping my fingers crossed that Gerstlauer is designing new trains for this project and we wont see the horrible trains we are thinking of running on this coaster

Whatever happened to Megazeph and Twisted Twins Gerstlauer Trains??? I hope they don't plan on putting those old style ones back on!!

The new Gerstlauer trains on Mammut were okay, but I can't imagine them on a coaster as big as Texas Giant.

The Megazeph trains went to SFSTL in the 07-08 off season and Twisted Twins trains arrived sometime in May or June of 09. All the trains were scraped for spare parts for the Boss. I was really hoping that SFSTL would put different trains on this ride because it would be so much better than the Gerstlauer Trains.

I'm not sure how true this is but i heard the Boss tested with the Screaming Eagle trains because the Grestlauer Trains had not arrived yet, and ran for Them for Media Day.

I heard the story from people who worked at the park then (from a fan site). Apparently, the G trains stalled and they removed them and put the PTC's on from Eagle for media day.

I completely agree that it should not count as a wood coaster. The whole idea behind a wood coaster is that you have a half inch thick steel rail connected to several layers of wood. Whatever the manufacturer decides to do from there doesn't matter, as long as that part is constructed as described.

The fact that they're keeping wood trains on this ride does not mean that it is a wood coaster. Yes, it has wood supports, but to me it seems like they're only keeping those supports so that they can continue to call it Texas Giant and advertise it by using its original reputation to their advantage. Yes it's smart, but it does not count as a wood coaster, no matter what they advertise it as.

I'm still not convinced that this ride will even function as they have planned. The fact of the matter is that they still have "boxcar" type trains on the ride, which is probably a main contributor to the ride roughening up. It would be wise for them to get trains that don't have two fixed sets of wheels on each car. The new timberliner trains seem to be the only thing on the market that will do that for a WOOD coaster. However, with the new addition of thick I-beam track, I think they could run any type of train on that with flat wheels and it would run perfectly fine.

Overall I think this is a very good idea and good marketing move by Six Flags. It will be a great addition/ upgrade to Six Flags Over Texas and I think it will get a lot of attention from park go-ers. From a technical standpoint, I don't consider it to be a wood coaster, and I will have to count it as a separate credit, because of the major modifications to the original ride.

You could use Intamin's Plug'n'Play wooden cars on a regular woodie, so I agree with you there.

^^^The Twisted Twins trains were under Batman during Fright Fest this year. I don't know if they took a lot off of them, but they looked to be in fairly normal condition.

I would assume that they didn't use Screamin' Eagle's trains. I was there close to before it opened and I rode Screamin' Eagle with regular trains. So unless they decided last minute to take off the trains and put them on Boss (over a period of 3 days or so) I would assume that they used G-Trains. I was 10 years old, so don't take my word for it.

It's good to see the current management investing some money back in their thrill rides. Back in 2006 I rode this ride a good bit and I loved it. Nice and long and packed a good punch. When I heard about it being shut down I was unsure if they were going to spend the money and fix it or just tear it down. Good to see they chose to invest money in it.