TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silverwood Discussion Thread

I think they made a great investment.

Most of my non-enthusiast friends consider Deja Vu one of...if not...THE favorite ride at Magic Mountain.

I personally make a point to ride it every time Im there; it truly is a unique roller coaster experience. And nothing beats getting stuck on it for 10 minutes on the first tower. Nothing.

Chris.

Isnt this type of ride and inverted boomerang coaster? if it is why are they having soo much trouble with them and not the boomerangs and what type of problems are they having with this particular ride? i have never ridden on but i went to SFMM and I refused to stand in line for this ride. The load times were over 10 mins. It cant be that the ride is hard to load, the operators were draggin their behinds.

Boomerangs, Invertigos, and GIBs all have completely different systems for catching the train with the GIBs being the most complicated. While no one knows exactly why it seems the GIBs seem to have the most downtime, the long loading times dont help either. The train design is confusing for passengers loading and add to that checking to make sure all seatbelts are secure before lowering lapbars doest speed things along at all. Maybe these had a lot of problems at first but it seems like people just assume they are all like that because they heard about one or two that had problems in the past. Personally, I have ridden Vu at MM many times and never had or saw it have a downtime.

I think it's great this ride will have a life after GrAm. The GIB's are intense and have provided some of the best coaster experiences I've ever had. Really, these rides make more sense for a smaller park due to the capacity issues so it seems Vu will be a great fit for Silverwood. It doesn't even matter that it's a second-hand ride since they're fairly unique.

^^That totally makes sense as a secondary or backup to the prox switches. But if it was confirmed that the timers were shutting it down because the train was consistently late and it wasnt because of a mechanical issue on the train, then couldnt the timers be adjusted to allow for that or is it locked in forever and cannot be changed? Sounds like a simple solution but something is missing here and I would think they would have tried that. Not an expert but doesnt seem too complicated. I did want to say glad a removed Vu has found a home. I really like these, wish there were more, and would like to see 300ft. towers.

I just want to pipe in and say this, when Space's Lift B chain broke we hat a zone 3 time-out. So yes, timers are in place on advanced roller coasters. Maybe Vekoma just screwed up royally?

I actually think this is a great investment, and they don't seem as unreliable as everyone says they do, but not that I'd know!

To prove how geeky I am, I entered the naming contest! I wanna' be the first public rider to ride this bad boy! I'ts only a 5 hour drive from where I live!

LOL I'm reading all of the responses to this and other topics and I am completely blown away by how many people know the intricacies, mechanical engineering, etc. of the rides themselves! This has to be the coolest physics class I've never gotten college credit for. I realize some are either in the industry or related to it, but where do you research the information to learn these things? I would love to learn how coasters and flats work.

Scott

Will be pretty interesting to see if SW does actually work out all the bugs:

DiGiammarco said the coaster, which opened at Six Flags in 2001, did have a lot of downtime initially.

“That was addressed when we first decided to purchase it,” DiGiammarco said.

She said the kinks have been worked out and the ride was down just 2 percent of the time last year.

“All of the flaws in the original design when it first premiered have been addressed, corrected, fixed,” DiGiammarco said.

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/breaking/story.asp?ID=13295

Hey, hey, hey!!!

If Silverwood can get this coaster up and running (not to mention if I can find out where Silverwood is and see if I can make a trip up there), then I may finally fulfill a cause I thought was lost forever: TO RIDE THE DEJA VU!!!

But I may have to wait it out because I dont want to go to that park on the day that Deja Vu wasn't running and have myself cussing, causing a park attendant to give one of those goofy smiles despite my grief, causing me to be ticked off, causing me to punch her in the nose and earn a free ride to jail. Trust me, folks, THAT ALMOST HAPPENED AT SIX FLAGS OVER GEORGIA!

Well, here's hoping that Silverwood keeps that coaster going.

DiGiammarco said the coaster, which opened at Six Flags in 2001, did have a lot of downtime initially.

She said the kinks have been worked out and the ride was down just 2 percent of the time last year.

“All of the flaws in the original design when it first premiered have been addressed, corrected, fixed,” DiGiammarco said.

Then why did they remove it???

Well if they fixed all the flaws, my guess would be to make room for a new attraction(s).

Anytime Silverwood expands it is a good thing. The Vu might be old school to some of you but not everyone has the opportunity to travel to different parks and ride the coasters.

It's really nice to have a theme park up here. They do a great job with what they have. Sure it's not WDW but it sure is a lot better than nothing at all.

I think we got some good guesses here. In a large park with many coasters, the downtime/cost equation just didn't make sense. By selling it, Six Flags gets a few million in cash that they can use to "enhance the guest experience". They can fix up the rest of the park or maybe buy some high-capacity ride to fill the space.

Silverwood gets a new visually striking headliner ride for like half price-sure it's low capacity, but I'm sure they have an aggressive maintenance plan, plus they are in a building stage and they figure us Northwesterners won't mind some downtime-cause we'll come back!

I think we got some good guesses here. In a large park with many coasters, the downtime/cost equation just didn't make sense. By selling it, Six Flags gets a few million in cash that they can use to "enhance the guest experience". They can fix up the rest of the park or maybe buy some high-capacity ride to fill the space.

Silverwood gets a new visually striking headliner ride for like half price-sure it's low capacity, but I'm sure they have an aggressive maintenance plan, plus they are in a building stage and they figure us Northwesterners won't mind some downtime-cause we'll come back!

I feel you hit it right on the head. Besides, installing a ride of this size will make Silverwood look more like they are really serious about being major destination point. Next they will build the hotel they have been talking about. I see a lot of potential in Silverwood. It seemed to sit stagnant for so many years and then the past few years they ramped up improvements. I'm excited to see what they come up with next.

• 3 weeks later...

I put:

Purcell Peril (Purcell is the name of a geographical event that created the valley that Silverwood is in)

Henley's Havoc (Henley Aerodrome is the name of the airport that Silverwood was built on.)

Kootenai Colossus (Kootenai is the name of the county that Silverwood is in.

• 4 weeks later...

Expect the name to be released very soon. The website says sometime in March, and March is almost over. I actually know what the name is, but I don't know if I'm allowed to say it or not, so I'm not going to and I'll just let Silverwood announce it.