TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Fun Spot America Atlanta Discussion Thread

Hey everybody!

This thread is simple! Rather than having a million little threads about everything that goes on at Fun Spot America Atlanta this thread is designed to consolidate it all into one user-friendly thread. Feel free to use it to post updates, trip reports, questions, comments, and of course, general discussion. For pictures and videos of the park as well as past updates, see TPR's Park Index Page.

Official Park Website

Below are some links to past updates from the park, you may be interested in. Enjoy!

May 25th, 2021 - New Rocky Mountain Construction coaster announced! - SEE BELOW

June 30th, 2021 - First RMC coaster concept images released!

November 15th, 2021 - Arie Force One details to be announced on 11/16/21

ORIGINAL POST:

Fun Spot Atlanta has announced that they will be partnering with Rocky Mountain Construction to design and build a new coaster to open at the park in 2022!

1611797570_FSAandRMCTwitterPost.thumb.jpg.086a2685fe0ab40a47becfd3b0a10d7a.jpg.cba6d58d39b5dc7d41bf94d60ecdf578.jpg

Fun Spot America Atlanta partners with Rocky Mountain Construction on the next BIG thing for Atlanta, in fact, it’s so big you’ll say...it’s HUGE! A new roller coaster design process is underway and scheduled to debut in 2022. Roller coaster enthusiasts, and theme park lovers, will soon be buzzing about the impact this partnership will have on the Atlanta area. Hold on tight because this will be Fun Spot America’s largest Roller Coaster investment ever.

The new roller coaster will be the first of many new marque rides and attractions yet to come to Fun Spot Atlanta. “RMC is a highly sought-after designer and manufacturer of award-winning roller coasters. We’re pleased to be able to provide HUGE thrills for families and coaster enthusiasts at our Atlanta park,” says CEO John Arie Jr.

Rocky Mountain Construction, often referred to as RMC, is a fabricator and manufacturer of extreme roller coasters located in Hayden, Idaho. Over the years, RMC has been known for its transformation of wooden roller coasters into new hybrid attractions. Founder and owner, Fred Grubb created RMC’s notable steel Ibox track which uses steel I-beams to replace the traditional layered wooden track design. The idea of this was to reduce maintenance costs and increase the coaster's longevity while providing awesome high-speed twists, turns, and inversions. “We’re excited to be working with Fun Spot America and thrilled to be bringing a fantastic new RMC coaster to Atlanta,” said Grubb.

John Arie Jr. said, “We’re thrilled to announce our partnership with RMC because we love their world- renowned products, family-owned and operated business mindset, and know this is a perfect fit for the Fun Spot family. We can’t wait to see the final project and the HUGE positive impact it will have on the park for years to come.”

Fun Spot America has yet to announce additional details about the coaster, but the park is pursuing a naming rights sponsorship opportunity with one of Atlanta’s major sports franchises. The park is also looking to hire an additional 250 employees as they gear up for what they predict to be another busy summer. "From what the attendance numbers have been showing since reopening, people are ready to get out and enjoy themselves again. We feel this summer will be even better than years before, but we need friendly and dedicated workers who are eager to begin their career in the amusement industry," says John Arie Jr.

Fun Spot America is hiring for all departments. Starting wages begin at $11.75 per hour, and all employees must pass a drug screening. Employee benefits include Summer and Christmas bonuses, discounts on tickets, food and beverage, Leadership and Training courses, and more. If interested apply online today at https://funspotamericaatlanta.com/.

• Like 2

This is the right sized park for a Raptor, but I wonder if this is one of those family hybrid coasters RMC recently announced since the park has mostly had families in my visits.  But whatever RMC they add, I'm sure it will have plenty of airtime and this is a very pleasant surprise.

17 minutes ago, jedimaster1227 said:

The new roller coaster will be the first of many new marque rides and attractions yet to come to Fun Spot Atlanta. “RMC is a highly sought-after designer and manufacturer of award-winning roller coasters. We’re pleased to be able to provide HUGE thrills for families and coaster enthusiasts at our Atlanta park,” says CEO John Arie Jr.

ugh. . I guess it keeps with the "low rent" image of Fun Spot. . but it bugs the crap out of me they not only misspelled "Marquee". . but they are using the term wrong (since you know, "Marquee" really means "tent". . so a "Marquee Event" means something so special there are tents set up at it.

but I am excited to see what they end up doing with RMC. . . they have a TON of open land at that location, which is the perfect place to build a big woodie.

• Like 1

Not taking a side but seems like it might an acceptable use of the word.  Usually used with cars, it seems, but others appear ok as well.  And I'm slightly bored. :)  I think they meant many diff manufacturers.

Screenshot_20210525-133736_Chrome.jpg

What a nice surprise. I am be interested to see if this is the new family hybrid coaster model RMC recently announced. But even a Raptor clone would be great here. Yay for new coasters in 2022! With this and the random new Gerstlauer, maybe next year won't be a dud after all and some parks are still willing to invest.

28 minutes ago, bert425 said:

^ a ride is not a car.

they intended Marquee and spelled it wrong, and used it incorrectly (but more important to me, they spelled it wrong)

In North American English it can be used as a modifier:

image.png.373dcd2f4443146c283ea728de47f481.png

But, you are correct it is spelled wrong.  lol

Sorry, not trying to be a d**k, you sparked an interest so I looked it up.  :)

Back on topic..  personally I am hoping this is not a Raptor clone but a custom family coaster.  I'd really like to see on of those pop up and at a FEC too would be pretty cool.  Since their announcement mentions the design phase I'm hoping that's a hint it won't be a plug and play clone of any sort but a custom layout. 

• Like 2

I'm hoping for a Raptor, whether it's a clone/variant or a new layout. There marketing seems to be more in line with a larger high-thrill coaster, and with Twisted Cyclone just 40min away, I think a Raptor makes the most sense. Definitely a park size that could benefit from one without being outside of their cost or capacity needs, too. I'd say a family hybrid model is next most likely, but not sure just how well that adds up to the "HUGE" advertising. 

10 minutes ago, IronWolfman said:

I'm hoping for a Raptor, whether it's a clone/variant or a new layout. There marketing seems to be more in line with a larger high-thrill coaster, and with Twisted Cyclone just 40min away, I think a Raptor makes the most sense. Definitely a park size that could benefit from one without being outside of their cost or capacity needs, too. I'd say a family hybrid model is next most likely, but not sure just how well that adds up to the "HUGE" advertising. 

isn't the Atlanta Fun Spot the only one without a woodie?

yeah..I think we're gonna see a wood framed RMC in the field by the parking lot.

• Like 2

I think it would make most sense for this to be a family coaster, but we're all hoping for something more!  Also, didn't Fun Spot now build a GCI and Gravity Group woodie? ...they should definitely go with an RMC next!

• Like 4

This park is so weird, even by Fun Spot standards.

Absolutely nothing that they do would surprise me from a small family coaster to a Raptor to a ground up RMC woodie. The first one makes the most sense but it's Fun Spot so I don't know...

The family coaster might have a lower cost of ownership than a comparable woodie. Therefore it makes sense in view of the chain putting in wood coasters. They also seem to want just a little more than what the usual wood coaster can deliver, and can probably make it more visible from the road than Six Flags.

The Raptor may seem to make sense as its weakness is low capacity, but with only a couple of coasters that could be a problem. I would think they would want a gentler one, more a floater air machine.

Naw, they clearly bought SFDK's Skywarp that was recently put up for sale. RMC fabricated its track, thus making this project an indirect partnership with RMC. Who else can't wait for 35-MPH flybys, now that it only has one train?

31 minutes ago, grsupercity said:

Instead of everyone being happy about a new coaster being built lets all complain about a grammar in the advertisement lmao

1) Grammar is important

2) Maybe read the whole post before you attempt to (incorrectly) summarize a discussion?
After all, the original comment ends noting they have a lot of land, and expresses enthusiasm for what might be built there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

People were bored middle of the day chatting about dumb sht. Not a big deal.  And folks had moved along. But bring it up again.  I think the fact a new coaster was coming had been fully covered. :)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

based on the teaser they just dropped today?

it's looking like a pretty decent sized coaster. . and could this possibly be the initial part of a "loop" inversion?   has RMC done a "Traditional" loop inversion on any of their coasters?

I must admit I'm surprised this section of track is as large as it is!  this is gonna be a decent sized coaster they are adding. . so it's GOT to be going into that field by the parking lot.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1361156040974689

• Like 2