TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

I seriously hope they leave MARVEL Island alone. Spiderman is by far the best attraction in Orlando, and I would seriously be upset if they chose to completely redo it. I'm not really a big Nintendo geek, although I do like Mario Kart. Replacing KidZone with Nintendo theming would be a way better idea.

Imagine Mario Kart go-carts....

This is definitely going to be an entire section of the park considering that Nintendo has such a wide range of famous universes (Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, etc.) and that this is the park's first foray into video game related theming, and video games are almost on the same level as movies in today's market. Surprised it took this long for something like this to happen but this has been my biggest dream for a park for years and I'm so glad it's Universal of all chains. Knowing Nintendo's insane attention to detail, perfectionism, and polish, there's no way this will be a simple re-theming. Both President Iwata and Shigeru Miyamoto (the creator of all the Nintendo characters/stories) would never accept something half-ass. I highly doubt we'll be getting any attractions themed to Samus/Metroid or Star Fox but I can certainly dream. I'm wondering if we will see a castle, and if it will be Peach's or Hyrule. I have a feeling the focus is going to be mostly on Mario and Pokemon, but Zelda definitely deserves a dark ride or something!

And a full sized K.K. Cafe/Brewster Cafe.

I would burst into hysterical tears if this came true. I'm feel like I'm gonna throw up from the excitement of the announcement alone!!!

And a go-karts attraction on a rainbow painted track where you can throw bananas at each other would be life changing. Either way this is the best theme park news in a long time!!!

I know this is the USO forum, but what are the chances we could see some of these IP's popping up at Universal Hollywood? I know space is limited, but a Nintendo attraction on the lower lot (replacing say "The Mummy") would be really cool.

They could replace Fear Factor Live! with an American Ninja Warrior esque show where contestants try to advance through an actual live recreation of Bowser's Castle.

lmao! Sounds like Wipe Out.

They could replace Fear Factor Live! with an American Ninja Warrior esque show where contestants try to advance through an actual live recreation of Bowser's Castle.

Actually, from what I remember NBC Universal owns the American Ninja Warrior show and it would be AWESOME to have that replace Fear Factor. The thing I like about Ninja Warrior is that it's more skill based and not just making people fall on purpose or eating gross stuff.

Why does everyone think that the Nintendo area will be in Marvel Superhero Island? it seems more likely to me that Toon Lagoon will be Nintendo-ized, seeing as how its animated theme would fit with the video games, plus most of the theming in Toon Lagoon is lost on anyone younger than 21

Whats the likelihood this replaces Marvel island? Its essentially become stagnated and it represents an old marvel from decades ago rather then the new and current generation of Marvel.

Some one else mentioned converting the hulk into a bowser coaster. I just imagine them turning the tunnel into one of those Mario pipes

Edited by Gnome

Also, its now a Disney Licence, so I'm sure what ever UNI can do to get away from Disney, they'd like to.

I have differing thoughts on this. Ultimately it has to be a very awkward situation for both companies.

On one hand, if Universal is able to get Disney to fork over a huge amount of money to buy them out...Disney would essentially be funding new attractions for Universal.

However, the danger would be allowing Disney to fully capitalize on their new Marvel empire. Is that a gamble Universal wants? Or do they want to keep piggy backing on the success of the new Marvel universe knowing that Disney is probably going to be looking for any excuse possible to void the deal and will most certainly not be a helpful partner on any future developments relating to the Super Hero Island?\

Whatever happens...the Nintendo partnership is a good way for Universal to hedge their bet so to speak. If they don't sell out to Disney, they get to add the most popular video game franchise of all time to their licenses. If they do sell out to Disney, they at least have another strong franchise to counter Disney's ownership of Star Wars and Marvel.

Holding on to a property just to keep your competitor from having it isnt necessarily an effective strategy when there is a cost associated with it (beyond apparent monetary costs). Again, the marvel heroes that uni currently have represent what they looked like at the end of the 90's compared to what they have evolved to today. At some point it would make sense to cut their loss, let disney have the theme park rights to the property, and then Uni can revamp and redevelop that real estate in a way that will drive attendance to the park and keep islands of adventure relevant

Edited by Gnome