TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 611: Full Halloween Horror Nights 2021 lineup revealed!

They could replace Fear Factor Live! with an American Ninja Warrior esque show where contestants try to advance through an actual live recreation of Bowser's Castle.

lmao! Sounds like Wipe Out.

They could replace Fear Factor Live! with an American Ninja Warrior esque show where contestants try to advance through an actual live recreation of Bowser's Castle.

Actually, from what I remember NBC Universal owns the American Ninja Warrior show and it would be AWESOME to have that replace Fear Factor. The thing I like about Ninja Warrior is that it's more skill based and not just making people fall on purpose or eating gross stuff.

Why does everyone think that the Nintendo area will be in Marvel Superhero Island? it seems more likely to me that Toon Lagoon will be Nintendo-ized, seeing as how its animated theme would fit with the video games, plus most of the theming in Toon Lagoon is lost on anyone younger than 21

Whats the likelihood this replaces Marvel island? Its essentially become stagnated and it represents an old marvel from decades ago rather then the new and current generation of Marvel.

Some one else mentioned converting the hulk into a bowser coaster. I just imagine them turning the tunnel into one of those Mario pipes

Edited by Gnome

Also, its now a Disney Licence, so I'm sure what ever UNI can do to get away from Disney, they'd like to.

I have differing thoughts on this. Ultimately it has to be a very awkward situation for both companies.

On one hand, if Universal is able to get Disney to fork over a huge amount of money to buy them out...Disney would essentially be funding new attractions for Universal.

However, the danger would be allowing Disney to fully capitalize on their new Marvel empire. Is that a gamble Universal wants? Or do they want to keep piggy backing on the success of the new Marvel universe knowing that Disney is probably going to be looking for any excuse possible to void the deal and will most certainly not be a helpful partner on any future developments relating to the Super Hero Island?\

Whatever happens...the Nintendo partnership is a good way for Universal to hedge their bet so to speak. If they don't sell out to Disney, they get to add the most popular video game franchise of all time to their licenses. If they do sell out to Disney, they at least have another strong franchise to counter Disney's ownership of Star Wars and Marvel.

Holding on to a property just to keep your competitor from having it isnt necessarily an effective strategy when there is a cost associated with it (beyond apparent monetary costs). Again, the marvel heroes that uni currently have represent what they looked like at the end of the 90's compared to what they have evolved to today. At some point it would make sense to cut their loss, let disney have the theme park rights to the property, and then Uni can revamp and redevelop that real estate in a way that will drive attendance to the park and keep islands of adventure relevant

Edited by Gnome

How did I miss this news this morning??!! This is probably the best theme park announcement I've ever heard. I've been wanting a Nintendo theme park for years and finally Nintendo is finally coming to theme parks. Nintendo could warrant a new, separate gate in every Universal property worldwide. There's so many rides they could go off of Mario alone: Super Mario Bros, Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros, Mushroom Kingdom, etc. Plus they could have whole lands based off of Donkey Kong Country, The Legend of Zelda, and Pokemon. The possibilities are endless! I hope Japan and Orlando get separate Nintendo gate parks (well, at least Japan) and if Hollywood doesn't have room for a second gate (which they probably won't) they should bulldoze the whole upper lot that isn't been sanctioned off for Harry Potter for a new Nintendo Land.

When can they start construction?

Have a King Wart Vs. Bowser and Princess Daisy Vs. Princess Peach rap battle with costumed characters. (OK, I'm kidding.)

People keep bringing up Mario, but I'd prefer Hulk be rethemed to Metroid! Turn Dr. Doom's Fear Fall into a Donkey Kong ride.

People keep bringing up Mario, but I'd prefer Hulk be rethemed to Metroid!

While I would love this, I'm not sure if Metroid is recognized in pop culture well enough to warrant a full attraction. Samus is probably more famous from Smash Bros. these days, but Mario is so iconic that he's bigger than gaming itself, easily on the same level (not historically of course) as Mickey Mouse or the marvel heroes. And again, I don't think Nintendo land will be a simple reskinning of Marvel Super Hero land, but if it is there will be at least 1 or 2 major brand new attractions. There's no way Miyamoto would settle for less than Potter-scale effort on his most beloved characters.

Either way I can't wait!!!!!!

Whats the likelihood this replaces Marvel island? Its essentially become stagnated and it represents an old marvel from decades ago rather then the new and current generation of Marvel.

Some one else mentioned converting the hulk into a bowser coaster. I just imagine them turning the tunnel into one of those Mario pipes

Like I mentioned earlier, I really hope this doesn't happen. Spiderman is my favorite attraction in Orlando and I don't think it could be easily replaced with any new theme. Toon Lagoon and KidZone would be better places to put in Nintendo attractions.

Holding on to a property just to keep your competitor from having it isnt necessarily an effective strategy when there is a cost associated with it (beyond apparent monetary costs). Again, the marvel heroes that uni currently have represent what they looked like at the end of the 90's compared to what they have evolved to today. At some point it would make sense to cut their loss, let disney have the theme park rights to the property, and then Uni can revamp and redevelop that real estate in a way that will drive attendance to the park and keep islands of adventure relevant

I really don't think it's that simple.

You could argue Universal reaps the benefits of having the only Marvel character based theme park attractions on the East Coast because of the popularity of the cinematic universe. Spiderman is still a popular ride. Hulk is still a popular ride. I imagine the retail store is still doing good business selling merch associated with all the Marvel characters. I don't think Universal is by any means desperate to get rid of their exclusive rights to theme park attractions associated with Marvel characters, even if they have to work based on the comic books and not the movies.

At some point that real estate may very well become more valuable as another IP (such as Nintendo), but with UO/IoA still riding high on the back of Harry Potter...I don't think it's urgent for them to dump the valuable license unless it is a deal they can't refuse. The rest of Lost Continent would go before revamping Super Hero Island IMO.

On the flip side of all that, you could argue Disney is losing more by not being able to fully capitalize on the cinematic universe at WDW.

So really it comes down to...who blinks first.

Just a question but why is everybody not wanting Kong now? I'm excited for Nintendo Land to I'm just also excited for Skull Island....

I just find it funny how yesterday everyone was excited for Kong and now it's like old news ...

I'm sure a lot of us are still excited for Kong. But of course we also heard rumors and saw construction going on already. This Nintendo announcement was out of nowhere it seems. Plus it's freaking Nintendo. They might as well retheme Kong into Donkey Kong because holy crap that would be awesome.

• coasterbill changed the title to Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread