TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

COVID-19 Coronavirus and Theme Parks Official Thread

^Exactly, people need to read the info and not just the headline. You're not allowed to actually 'hang out' at the beach. It's just open for exercise, swimming, etc. No bathrooms, no playgrounds, no sports, no groups, etc.

It’s a good first step that will give much needed data on what the impact of phased reopening will have on spread.

This is apparently an image from Friday, but also apparently right as the beaches opened, some are reporting that things have calmed down a bit since then.

200418-jacksonville-florida-beach.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=1286

^ probably not today, they said umbrellas, coolers, chairs and towels are verboten

Ah, thanks! I figured it wasn't from today given that the media LOVES to use OLD images as "current" images.

This might be a more accurate one then... Given none of the forbidden items are in shot. (From another news source.)

fa6ae1505e9aade20be5b2ab9227e226.png&quality=70&width=720

This turned out to be another fake (not lately) picture the media was spreading. This is why people don't trust the media.

You can make any beach look crowded if you shoot perpendicular to the ocean and down the length of the beach. Most people seem to be social distancing just fine in that photo. There are some groups but not many, and I have no clue who does and doesn't live together. I'm not going to over-analyze a photo of a beach in Jacksonville looking for people to be mad at.

People just love to be outraged lately.

Edited by coasterbill

I didn't go to the beach this weekend but my parents and some friends did and honestly it looked fine from the pictures I saw, some people out but plenty of space for the amount of people that were there. That tower cam pic is from the most crowded and accessible beach in the area and was taken around 5:30 or so the first day beaches reopened at 5 pm but most other places throughout the weekend were fine.

There's a lot of coastline out there and plenty of places that don't get crowded during normal times without a pandemic, so imo with the restrictions in place this really isn't that big of a deal.

So here's a fun question (which already sort of happened we learned a lot more in the last week and a half). What American park opens first?

I'm still going Kemah Boardwalk. It's moderately shady in a pretty conservative place and they were already open so they won't have an issue with hiring. I feel like Fun Spot, Galveston Pleasure Pier and possibly others could be contenders too.

Wildcard pick: Adventure Park USA in Maryland. They're probably taking a "Jesus take the wheel" approach to the virus but it's also in Maryland and not Texas which might hold them back.

PS: This is also a fun discussion not an endorsement. Please don't come here to preach and win internet virtue points. We get it. lol

Edited by coasterbill

I wonder if theme parks (outside of Disney) will adopt virtual queue systems as a result of this virus. I am sure the days of cramming people in a cattle pen queue line are over. Will virtual queues and Rise of the Resistance-type queuing be more common now?

I sure hope not. I have no desire to get to a park and be told "sorry, you may not be able to ride this totally functioning ride based on random luck of the draw."

I wonder if theme parks (outside of Disney) will adopt virtual queue systems as a result of this virus. I am sure the days of cramming people in a cattle pen queue line are over. Will virtual queues and Rise of the Resistance-type queuing be more common now?

I've thought a little bit about this and what other types of changes might be made. I really don't know how feasible it is because I don't work in the industry but I'd love to see seasonal parks offer some kind of separately ticketed event like Disney does with their Halloween and Christmas party. If I could pay double the ticket price for a limited capacity night at Cedar Point where even only the major coasters are open from 8pm to 1 am or something I'd do it in a heartbeat. Or an adder for a couple hours of early admission with limited capacity. Maybe a ticket for a shorter window of admission with limited capacity on certain days, like 9am-1pm 1pm-5pm and 5pm-9pm?

I really don't have any idea of how or when if ever park get back to what we considered normal before but I think there will be something different about operations when they re-open initially at least.

...This turned out to be another fake (not lately) picture the media was spreading. This is why people don't trust the media.

Yeah, I'm starting to give up on what the media posts. . . Apparently they really will share images from years ago claiming that it was taken that day... Not sure if they have always been doing this, or just something that started recently... However, it makes it hard to trust what they share now... (And that seems to be from all news outlets, not just specific ones.)

So here's a fun question (which already sort of happened we learned a lot more in the last week and a half). What American park opens first?

I'm betting on Galveston's Pleasure Pier.

The governors of Georgia, Tennessee, and South Carolina have announced (not jointly, but concurrently) that certain businesses will be allowed to reopen in the weeks ahead.

For Georgia, that's stuff like hair salons, gyms, and cinemas, and Governor Kemp is not allowing individual municipalities to keep current restrictions or impose new ones.

https://apnews.com/cbf7decd1893f9d9afa3ed66b0f516d3

Meanwhile, Tennessee won't be extending its stay at home order past the end of the month, though large metro areas can still continue to have their restrictions for now.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2020/04/20/tennessee-gov-wont-extend-coronavirus-home-order/5166816002/

Georgia will be a good case study with most "gathering" type businesses being able to reopen by the end of the month. Hopefully it works out and will serve as a blueprint for the rest of the nation.

The governors of Georgia, Tennessee, and South Carolina have announced (not jointly, but concurrently) that certain businesses will be allowed to reopen in the weeks ahead.

For Georgia, that's stuff like hair salons, gyms, and cinemas, and Governor Kemp is not allowing individual municipalities to keep current restrictions or impose new ones.

https://apnews.com/cbf7decd1893f9d9afa3ed66b0f516d3

Meanwhile, Tennessee won't be extending its stay at home order past the end of the month, though large metro areas can still continue to have their restrictions for now.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2020/04/20/tennessee-gov-wont-extend-coronavirus-home-order/5166816002/

While Governor Kemp is ambitious, he has explicitly excluded amusement parks (as well as concerts, bars, nightclubs, and others) from opening next week. While I do appreciate his motivation to restart business, I admit I am a bit nervous as well. I also bear in mind that although some business categories may be permitted to open on a limited basis, many national chains might opt to remain shuttered.

Hopefully the public will follow the rules and make this soft opening successful.

Georgia will be a good case study with most "gathering" type businesses being able to reopen by the end of the month. Hopefully it works out and will serve as a blueprint for the rest of the nation.

Besides Atlanta being a massive metropolitan area it's easy to forget that the rest of Georgia is fairly rural and the population density is considerably lower. I hate to call something this serious a "case study" but I agree and hopefully it does go well for them.

I'm not sure what your point is exactly, since Georgia is very much like a lot of states, with one major metro area and the rest of the state quite rural. Just off the top of my head, several states would fit that description:

Alabama

Alaska

Arizona

Colorado

Idaho

Illinois

Indiana

Iowa

Kansas

Kentucky

Louisiana

Michigan

Minnesota

Mississippi

Nebraska

Nevada

New Mexico

North Dakota

Oklahoma

Oregon

South Dakota

Utah

Washington

Wisconsin

I'm not sure what your point is exactly, since Georgia is very much like a lot of states, with one major metro area and the rest of the state quite rural. Just off the top of my head, several states would fit that description:

Alabama

Alaska

Arizona

Colorado

Idaho

Illinois

Indiana

Iowa

Kansas

Kentucky

Louisiana

Michigan