TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

COVID-19 Coronavirus and Theme Parks Official Thread

Here in Canada its doubtful that any parks open. They expect the restrictions they have in place to last til summer sometime. Then they plan on lifting some of them with parks being last on the list. They expect some sort of social distancing to last til there is a vaccine.

See in the USA, we have freedom! We have some states just dying to be first to re-open. Personally, I am going to see how they do first. I got my Warsteiner and tamales from Trader Joes and gonna watch this from afar. Yup, German beer, and Mexican food. They go together well!

Here in Canada its doubtful that any parks open. They expect the restrictions they have in place to last til summer sometime. Then they plan on lifting some of them with parks being last on the list. They expect some sort of social distancing to last til there is a vaccine.

See in the USA, we have freedom! We have some states just dying to be first to re-open. Personally, I am going to see how they do first. I got my Warsteiner and tamales from Trader Joes and gonna watch this from afar. Yup, German beer, and Mexican food. They go together well!

Gov. Abbott and Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick both had press conferences today and leaks are coming that Abbot is going to have an executive order to reopen Texas non-essential businesses at some point next week.

Abbott has been in constant contact with Trump (per the local news). . .and they are itching to get the economy going again ASAP regardless of any pesky pandemic.

Leaks from a round-table that Patrick was involved in say he wants things open back up by May 1.

all I can say is: Idiots

(if the science is there? yep, fine. . but all the Doctors are saying it's too soon, and wait until June).

so we'll continue to be staying home, regardless of what our Gov & Lt. Governor say.

Once theme parks in general are able to resume operations, it will be interesting to see if any of the more seasonal parks, particularly Six Flags, might look at adding more operating days and possibly adding year-round weekend ops to the parks that do not currently do so. With attendance numbers going in the tank this could be one way to offset the losses and attract employees, particularly since it would be hard to hire seasonal help when the season will be short. And after all, SF Corporate has enjoyed having the ability to boost annual attendance numbers by extending the season gradually over several parks, adding holiday events and now in some parks, operating all year.

Everything is speculation at this point. We all want the parks to reopen sooner than later but there are just too many variables in play. Balancing economic health and physical health is indeed a balancing act.

^ Osceola county, Kissimmee, home to a Fun Spot, next to Orange County, has issued a mandatory face covering while in public order starting Monday. Fines of up to $500 and/or 60 days in jail for not having ones face covered. "That means a bandana, shirt or any cloth will do, as long it covers your face and mouth and you don't have to hold it with your hands."

link- https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/news/2020/04/11/osceola-county-issues-face-cover-order--starting-monday

by bert425 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:17 pm

Gov. Abbott and Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick both had press conferences today and leaks are coming that Abbot is going to have an executive order to reopen Texas non-essential businesses at some point next week.

Abbott has been in constant contact with Trump (per the local news). . .and they are itching to get the economy going again ASAP regardless of any pesky pandemic.

Leaks from a round-table that Patrick was involved in say he wants things open back up by May 1.

(if the science is there? yep, fine. . but all the Doctors are saying it's too soon, and wait until June).

so we'll continue to be staying home, regardless of what our Gov & Lt. Governor say.

I saw that on a news feed and wasn't sure how accurate it was. I guess, unfortunately for you, that will make Texas a big experiment and it will be interesting to see how much it swings the other states one way or the other. Stay safe!

by bert425 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:17 pm

I saw that on a news feed and wasn't sure how accurate it was. I guess, unfortunately for you, that will make Texas a big experiment and it will be interesting to see how much it swings the other states one way or the other. Stay safe!

Meanwhile, Texas is requiring people to quarantine when arriving from other states! I think that is unprecedented in US history. (Several other states have similar requirements today.)

https://gov.texas.gov/news/post/governor-abbott-announces-expanded-health-care-capacities-in-texas-issues-executive-orders-to-expand-quarantines-and-protect-public-safety

I wish we had some type of Vegas oddsmakers so we could bet on who re-opens first:

1. any Funspot 3-1

2. Castles & Coaters 4-1

3. Magic Springs 5-1

4. Frontier City 2.5-1

5. Adventuredome 3-1

etc... I just made up these numbers, so don't debate them

Once theme parks in general are able to resume operations, it will be interesting to see if any of the more seasonal parks, particularly Six Flags, might look at adding more operating days and possibly adding year-round weekend ops to the parks that do not currently do so.

That's a good question and it makes sense, but I'm still not sure you'll have the demand outside of the current operating schedule. Also, if we're completely in the clear enough for parks to be open I'd imagine schools would be in the clear to open. I bring that up, because wouldn't next year's school year start a lot earlier to make up for this year? I'm not sure if it works like that, but that will shave days off of the Monday - Friday operating season.

Has anyone heard any rumors on what's going to happen to the school year?

Edited by prozach626

I imagine that question will have hundreds if not thousands of different answers; every district is going to do their own thing.

In Delaware, at least in one district where a friend of mine works, they're doing "optional distance learning" for the rest of this year. He said that like 4 out of his 89 students completed the last assignment LOL.

I'm a 5th grade teacher in the San Francisco Bay Area. My district's calendar was just approved. We're starting at the usual time. I'm not sure if school years will be starting earlier. There's already distance learning happening which, while a far cry from classroom learning, is meant to fill the gap in instruction. Also, all the students will be in the next grade. So, it doesn't make sense (at least to me) to give a 6th grader extra 6th grade when they already lost the final few months of their 5th grade year. It's a different curriculum. Obviously, all of this could change and I could be completely wrong, but I personally don't foresee a longer school year next year.

Once theme parks in general are able to resume operations, it will be interesting to see if any of the more seasonal parks, particularly Six Flags, might look at adding more operating days and possibly adding year-round weekend ops to the parks that do not currently do so.

That's a good question and it makes sense, but I'm still not sure you'll have the demand. Also, if we're completely in the clear enough for parks to be open I'd imagine schools would be in the clear to open. I bring that up, because wouldn't next year's school year start a lot earlier to make up for this year? I'm not sure if it works like that, but that will shave days off of the Monday - Friday operating season.

Missouri schools cannot open any earlier than 14 calendar days before Labor Day now per a new law going into effect this year. So the date is already set for August 24 for most districts as that is the earliest they can have students in the building. There are also issues of getting summer school in and giving custodians/maintenance crews enough time to do the work they need to and cannot with students in the buildings.

Most states have already made it official that days will not have to be made up as long as online learning continues through the last scheduled day of the current school year and have cancelled state testing and finals and such. Online learning is not great and most are doing a sort of hold harmless grading system; in other words a students grade can improve but not go down. Which of course means many won't participate......but we were 3/4 ths of the way through the year and let's be honest, it's not the end of the world.

It really seems to vary based on state and school district. Here in Orlando we're lucky that all public middle and high school students have a county issued laptop. Most of the teachers at KT's school are doing a REALLY good job moving to online instruction. They're doing videos, games, Zoom classes, etc. Again, we were lucky that we were 3/4 of the way (exactly) through the school year when this started so the last quarter was mostly for reviewing for tests that are now all cancelled.

Our governor wants to open schools again before the end of the school year (May 27) but I doubt that will happen. As of now we are confirmed closed through May 1.

Most of the middle and high school students in St Louis County have chromebooks and one of the cable companies is offering free internet for 60 days if you have a student in your house. The elementary kids in many districts, it's a little trickier, there has been a combination of packets and chromebooks available for pick up in front of schools on certain days.

Andrew I would say at the moment about half of my students are completing work, but I full expect that to drop as they realize they can essentially keep their grade by doing nothing.

That's a good question and it makes sense, but I'm still not sure you'll have the demand. Also, if we're completely in the clear enough for parks to be open I'd imagine schools would be in the clear to open. I bring that up, because wouldn't next year's school year start a lot earlier to make up for this year? I'm not sure if it works like that, but that will shave days off of the Monday - Friday operating season.

Nothing in Georgia beyond the current school year - yet.

You are right in that there will probably not be much demand for theme parks in the 'off season' (if any additional parks go year round) but it would be a way to help membership retention. Just by being open, SF parks can add days to the calendar justifying membership payments and perhaps making up for our current extended 'off season'. And for the hearty souls that enter the gates, this gives SF a boost in attendance numbers, something they have already been doing gradually over the past few years with the addition of Holiday in the Park and a couple of new year-round ops at their Texas properties. It would also give the affected SF park(s) something 'new and exciting' to announce, in the absence or reduction in capital spending.

Most of the middle and high school students in St Louis County have chromebooks and one of the cable companies is offering free internet for 60 days if you have a student in your house. The elementary kids in many districts, it's a little trickier, there has been a combination of packets and chromebooks available for pick up in front of schools on certain days.

Andrew I would say at the moment about half of my students are completing work, but I full expect that to drop as they realize they can essentially keep their grade by doing nothing.

I didn't know this until today, but apparently weeks ago our governor said that every student would just pass. Thankfully that is not going to be the case, and our district is going to get that word out soon. So hopefully I'll see a rise in student activity. So far I'm getting way more emails from students about the Cedar Point trip that I plan every year for PBIS...

Eh. What a weird time. So now once the word gets around students can do nothing and still pass it will give them even more of a reason not to care. Word has already gotten around that people are not being taken to jail for anything less than crimes such as inflicting great bodily harm or discharging a firearm. Now they can also say "ffck school," along with the fun variations we're already being told of, "Ffck yall! You can't take me to jail!"

On that note, we are not pulling people over and asking where they're going or where they're coming from. We do everything we can to avoid any contact with anyone on behalf of safety reasons for the public and ourselves. There's nothing we can do, regardless. No enforcement action is available. It's a common misconception in our area that police are pulling people over and making contacts randomly to make sure they're in compliance.

We get pointless calls for service to check on large gatherings, but there's almost nothing we can do about it. We ask people to break it up. Half the time they tell us to ffck off. We leave. If the party is large enough to articulate mass public danger, we can summons people to court at a later time on a 'reckless conduct' charge. When they're drunk and high it's still not enough for them to stop without immediate consequences. Don't believe any rumors that this is a 'police state.' We can't do sh*t, so we just try our best not to get contaminated.

It's whatever. I don't have the right answer for these issues.

^ THANK YOU to you and all your staff, and co-workers during this time. I'm sure it's not easy at all, making snap decisions and such. But you're doing what you can, and we all appreciate that. A LOT.

Thankyous.jpg.f00e34628e0c26b00a6d043ac8cc2bc9.jpg

Applause.jpg.11d7ffefe670d40928b6a9687616f120.jpg