TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Weirdest Things The 'GP' Have Said

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Co-worker reminiscing about a trip to Six Flags Great America:

"They have a huge roller coaster called Raging Bull. It's so tall that it has shoulder restraints!"

No point in correcting her. It's just funny how people remember things wrong.

It seems that what makes me laugh the most is that when people who don't know much about roller coasters but think they know more than a devout rollercoaster geek(me!).

E.g.

Know it all: Stealth goes 60mph over the top of it and comes down at 80mph (for those who don't know stealth launches at 80 mph)

Me: no it launches at 80mph.

Know it all: yes, and it also comes down at that speed.

Me: How can it, if friction acts on it.

Know it all: There is no friction.

Me: of course there is friction, it is not magic and even if it was, there would still be air resistance.

Know it all: Thorpe park designed this ride not to have frictions or air resistance.

Me: Thorpe park did not design this ride.

Know it all: who did then?

Me: Intamin

Know it all: Who?

Me: Intamin

Know it all: Who are they.

Me: Doesn't matter, but stealth does not go over the top at 60 mph, don't make things up you don't know are true.

Know it all: but it does.

I then lost all hope and left the conversation. This type of thing happens a lot with people who may have read one book on roller coasters. I am happy to teach people the truth, but I am sure I speak for many when I say it is annoying when people try to teach you things you already know, and are false. Grrr

^Youll learn to just let it go. It's. It's not helping anyone having an argument over something that supposed to be fun. People have good intentions when they think they know a lot about coasters, which is why I never bring them up in conversation unless I'm at a park.

I do now, and it was not an argument, just him thinking he knew more. If rollercoasters come up in conversation, I will let things slip, just this person was actually a bit rude.

Okay this is just a thing I noticed wondered if more have the same experience.

Each time I tell people I like coaster they immediately associate it with our local park, they just keep asking me if I've been there lately, if they announce something new or something is about to happen they act like I shouldn't know that (they like to bring the news to me). Also any attempt to tell them you like more then just that park is futile.

Are all GP like this?

^ I know what you mean! I have the same thing with Europapark and that's the only park nearly EVERYONE in Switzerland knows and the ONLY one! Oh and if my Mum's seeing for example a TPR post of a roller coaster on fb, she shares it with me, but she found the post because of "Lukas (I) liked this post"!

Each time I tell people I like coaster they immediately associate it with our local park, they just keep asking me if I've been there lately, if they announce something new or something is about to happen they act like I shouldn't know that (they like to bring the news to me). Also any attempt to tell them you like more then just that park is futile.

Are all GP like this?

Well, it could be worse. Here (as there aren't really any parks) I get the feeling that when I tell someone I like coasters they don't really know what I mean unless they've been to a proper park. I think most of them imagine carousels and things like that

Are all GP like this?

Try living in the US 10-15 years ago. No one seemed to understand "Six Flags" was a brand and not a park.

Try living in the US 10-15 years ago. No one seemed to understand "Six Flags" was a brand and not a park.

Try living in the US or Canada today, and they still think Six Flags is only a park!

But much less than before. I think there was about 30 SF parks at one point. So telling someone you went to "Six Flags Full Name" usually got the response of "we have that here too"

My friend's favorite coaster for some reason is Gwazi because he says he liked the roughness and felt like he was riding a bull. I told him I should take him on El Toro and he'll probably change his mind, but he said, "What if I still like Gwazi better?"

No, just no. There are some opinions of coasters I just have a really hard time accepting.

His favorite coaster at SFDK was Boomerang (although we did get a decent ride on it) with Kong second, even though he said Kong was rougher than Gwazi.

[attachment=0]Screenshot_77.png[/attachment]

So, Fury 325 isn't a coaster? Intimidator 305 isn't a coaster? Millennium Force isn't a coaster? Shambhala isn't a coaster????? And you don't like either of them, just because they don't go upside down?

Nope. Those are all glorified mine trains.

[attachment=0]Screenshot_77.png[/attachment]

So, Fury 325 isn't a coaster? Intimidator 305 isn't a coaster? Millennium Force isn't a coaster? Shambhala isn't a coaster????? And you don't like either of them, just because they don't go upside down?

Nope. Those are all glorified mine trains.

I can imagine the guy who I quoted.

"I want to go on something more thrilling than Glorified Mine Train that Doesn't Go Upside Down 1"

"Glorified Mine Train that Does Go Upside Down 1 is a really good value"

"Actual Mine Train 1 looks too intense for me"