TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

It'll probably take all of 2 weeks to erect ( ) the steel. Hardest and most time consuming part will be electrical wiring and programming.

I will admit however, it is a little odd nothing has taken place yet....

Exactly...I mean how fast can those fairground workers put up most of those coasters? They vary from two days to a week or so, but very quick.

Another thing to consider...maybe they decided to go with two stations after realizing just how bad the capcity will be?

Joking aside, this monster looks like it'll be phenominal to ride when it does open!

Another thing to consider...maybe they decided to go with two stations after realizing just how bad the capcity will be?

Joking aside, this monster looks like it'll be phenominal to ride when it does open!

I was actually thinking that this might be the case (and not as a joke)...

Hey, a guy can dream, right?

I remember when V2's process seemed to be quite fast. My first visit that season, the ground was just uneven dirt. During the spring break (I believe was some time in april, the horizontal portion of the track was already in place, and the supports leading to the spikes were going vertical (looked pretty weird to see stubby supports sticking up connecting to nothing). Later in May (Memorial Day Weekend), everything looked good to go for the most part as the track was all assembled. I'm sure there was the more technical stuff to be done. I think finally by June I took my first ride on it. Did V2 have glitches that pushed off its opening day? I do remember seeing the ads reading "Coming Summer 2001." Actually, I still have my brochures with V2 during its debut year. I'll see about scanning some of the stuff I have as I have 3 variations of the 2001 maps/brochures.

So with something with a simple layout like Superman, I can't imagine the actual assembly process to take that long. But in the mean time, I would hope the park would allow some extra room to allow for unforeseen glitches to happen and still be able to open at its target date...as we all know Murphy's Law is always in effect.

An update, I scanned some of the brochures, for slight nostalgia purposes. Based on the style of the map itself, it looks like the map design came from the same company who is currently doing CGA's. I hope you all enjoy this trip back to 2001.

002.thumb.jpg.98f334582b9b19d41561c8e93bcc32b6.jpg

Variation Map #1...note the very simple design.

001.thumb.jpg.808a27ad4c62a076476851a1746b33d3.jpg

Variation #2, a little more 'Six Flags-ish.' Somewhere I have a SFMM map done up in a similar style.

003.thumb.jpg.05fa8648b27289461d219eb593a2cc8b.jpg

One of the inside spreads, only scanned the V2 page as that was the new hotness of 2001.

003.thumb.jpg.b7dac3f2dbe528dee4a3fbeeafa42f0c.jpg

The 2001 map, Variation #3

004.thumb.jpg.f7eb3e7fced0e58dd9447f89e4c731dc.jpg

Back in 2001, Six Flags was plastering ads in their brochures and maps.

005.thumb.jpg.a65d777e4c6dc931cb76de00e411940c.jpg

Some of the shops and shows.

006.thumb.jpg.9923325bd218b70708295253269e9a6e.jpg

The rides (and their descriptions). I actually liked how they described the rides so you would know what type of ride they were if it were your first visit. Note that V2 was to open during the summer.

007.thumb.jpg.22b33f9bee68e1cf87b57f0e94a16164.jpg

Yup, another ad! Gotta love that it's a non Six Flags coaster, looks to be KI's Vortex.

008.thumb.jpg.55a2bb52d595ef3aea97e3c9bae28bf2.jpg

And a final Six Flags sponsored ad.

46296212_SFDKMap2001small.jpg.3f7e362fca0ed33c0b1ff7e32f053aa2.jpg

Here is the park's map from that season. Thanks for looking!

^Thanks for telling us about the construction of V2, it made me feel a bit better. Why I am so anxious for this coaster to be done is because I'm moving to So Cal this summer and I have one chance in June to ride Superman.

Also, I find it interesting that back in 2001 of how it seems that Roar is a parking lot coaster, when it is not. Also, it's sad that they shortened the Shoreline Express into that little small circle around the Shark Experience, I think they could've left the layout when they were constructing Tava's Jungleland.

^ They didn't just shorten it, totally ripped out Shoreline Express. It wasn't just because of Tava's either. It was a combination of Tava's, the remodel of lakeside (the area with the big white tent) and the incredibly poor condition of the train itself. That thing was on it's last leg and needed a lot of money to fix up, so they just dumped it instead. Then a year later they laid the new tracks for Thomas in the area that Shoreline used to be.

As far as Superman goes, I'm in no way concerned about the ride being opened on time for Memorial Day... I just don't understand why the park hasn't made the best of this amazing weather and started getting everything ready. It seems like it would make sense to be ahead of schedule. It means more time with the ride open and more potential revenue for the park in the early months. I look at rides like Leviathan and Sky Rush that are much larger and in places with way worse climates and they are likely to have those rides ready to go on opening day.

As far as Superman goes, I'm in no way concerned about the ride being opened on time for Memorial Day... I just don't understand why the park hasn't made the best of this amazing weather and started getting everything ready. It seems like it would make sense to be ahead of schedule. It means more time with the ride open and more potential revenue for the park in the early months. I look at rides like Leviathan and Sky Rush that are much larger and in places with way worse climates and they are likely to have those rides ready to go on opening day.

I would suspect that they "haven't taken advantage" because they have a contracted construction company to put it up, with contracted dates, that the contractor has scheduled to dovetail along the end of some other project that they have. While it would be nice to say that the park is doing the erection themselves, I would submit that it is unlikely that they would either a) have a dedicated construction crew on staff for the short time that they're doing construction on new things or b)pull their entire maintenance team for construction, leaving the rest of the park without maintenance during construction.

Granted, it's just speculation, but would seem to make sense to me.

^^I don't have the knowledge to have any idea whether that's true or not, but it does make sense to me. Thanks for sharing that possibility. I really don't get the worry about SFDK being "behind," as it doesn't seem close enough to the planned opening date for there to be solid indication of that, despite the lack of progress.

I would suspect that they "haven't taken advantage" because they have a contracted construction company to put it up, with contracted dates, that the contractor has scheduled to dovetail along the end of some other project that they have. While it would be nice to say that the park is doing the erection themselves, I would submit that it is unlikely that they would either a) have a dedicated construction crew on staff for the short time that they're doing construction on new things or b)pull their entire maintenance team for construction, leaving the rest of the park without maintenance during construction.

Granted, it's just speculation, but would seem to make sense to me.

The park maintenance team is only for that....park maintenance, they are not the ones building the ride. Six Flags/SFDK will have several contracted companies doing this from the steel crew building the ride to electricians to everything in between and everybody's schedule has to mesh. There is already a set schedule to get this all done and there is probably no visible signs of anything happening because this is really a small ride that will go up quickly. Add to that the fact that they pretty much have a blank slate to work with, a nice flat slab to put the ride on, it's not like they need to rip out a bunch of trees or flatten some hills or anything. There could be delays or unforseen circumstances but it should not take that long at all.

Honestly, I still like the former color of V2. New colors nice and all but the teal/yellow seems more striking.

I wish I had a digital camera back then as well, would have had plenty of the former iteration of V2 to look at. Using film I was always told 'not to waste pictures on nonsense' especially since it wasn't my camera to begin with. When I did finally get my digital camera I was too busy riding and V2 had already been neutered.

In general, I think bright red and maroon clash. I would never put them together in, say, an outfit. Despite that, I do think having two kinds of red "works" on V2. It looks more visually striking and exciting than the previous scheme.