TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Just couldn't lose that slab, eh? And you thought Cedar Fair was obsessed with cement-filled parks.

I can't wait to see the actual arrival of coaster track but this is definitely a start. The day I see this happen (groundbreaking for new coaster) at CGA is the day I have an epic joygasm.

And it's funny how even though I posted about the ride opening late spring (as noted here and on some coupons and ad we have at work), people on Facebook seemed to dismiss that post and hope it opens at the end of the month when they go to "Six Flags." Now, if people dismiss the official word from DK themselves, then something is definitely wrong.

Given the size of this ride, I'm guessing that once steel starts going up it will take only 2-3 weeks to fully erect. Add another month for testing, and assuming there are no major delays this could definitely be open by Memorial Day weekend. It may be 150 ft tall, but there is only 863 ft of track and that is what matters. Green Lantern: First Flight had about the same amount of track (825 ft), and I think that went up in less than three weeks. It only was delayed so much since they didn't begin vertical construction until late April/early May. For now, I'm betting Superman will be open by Memorial Day. If there isn't a piece of steel in place, or at least track on site, three weeks from now, then it would probably be safe to say this will be a June/July opening.

Gonna be honest, How are they gonna get this opened by Late Spring? That's like 2 months away.

Small ride = quick installation.

Also, last day of Spring is June 20... So it's over 3 months away. It's not even technically Spring yet. I have a little more faith that this will be up my Memorial Day weekend now, assuming everything goes well with installation.

So the rumors have it that SFMM's 2013 coaster might break the record for world's tallest inversion. Can't we hold just one little record besides, "Only 45-degree impulse coaster"?

Anyway... if this is true, poor SFDK will only hold the "Tallest inversion in the West" title long enough to market S:UF. It's totally not surprising that SFMM is going to take the record from SFDK, it just seems kinda quick. Pretty sly, I think.

So the rumors have it that SFMM's 2013 coaster might break the record for world's tallest inversion. Can't we hold just one little record besides, "Only 45-degree impulse coaster"?

Anyway... if this is true, poor SFDK will only hold the "Tallest inversion in the West" title long enough to market S:UF. It's totally not surprising that SFMM is going to take the record from SFDK, it just seems kinda quick. Pretty sly, I think.

At least SFDK still holds the record for the tallest and fastest coasters in Nor Cal.

Though a different park, a rival being that, CGA (And SFGAm) both hold the record for the world's tallest carousel structure to this day.

I do remember Medusa having a "Tallest Inversion" (or one of the tallest inversions) record for a while...Similarly to another Bay Area Park (CGA again) once having one of the world's tallest freefall attractions back in the day...but didn't last long. Yes, sad for the bay area...our record-breakers keep getting snagged from under us.

At least SFDK still holds the record for the tallest and fastest coasters in Nor Cal.

And boy are they proud of it!

I'm perpetually confused about who holds the "tallest inversion" record...it always seems to be between Medusa and Superman: Krypton Coaster or other floorlesses. Are they tied? Or does no one know for sure?

By the way, I do find it a bit odd that there are so few old-fashioned double decker carousels...I'm hard-pressed to think of any beyond the two in the US. It seems you can have a classic carousel, or a double decker, but not both...

Volcano has the tallest inversion at 155ft. So Superman misses it by 5 feet (damn you Vallejo and your height limits).

Medusa never had the tallest inversion, it had the tallest vertical loop @ 124ft. I think Dominator and Superman: KC beat it now.

And I may be wrong but I believe CGA's carousel was built slightly taller and solely holds the record for tallest carousel.

Volcano has the tallest inversion at 155ft. So Superman misses it by 5 feet (damn you Vallejo and your height limits).

Medusa never had the tallest inversion, it had the tallest vertical loop @ 124ft. I think Dominator and Superman: KC beat it now.

And I may be wrong but I believe CGA's carousel was built slightly taller and solely holds the record for tallest carousel.

I think they meant "tallest inversion west of the Miss. river" that's the marketing used in S:UF's video at least.

It's not necessarily 100% accurate, but I think this list is pretty close:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_roller_coaster_rankings#Tallest_roller_coaster_inversions

Ah, so Wikipedia does keep track of that. Assuming most (or all) of the stats are true, I wonder why there's still confusion. Maybe accurate information has only become available recently, and the speculation occured before then.

Well, the double twisted V2 can't be any worse than the old (2001) map design with the inverted Kong trains, inverted heading up the lift. I posted the map several pages back, or you can quickly jump to it via the TPR park index. The map at the time was also the same artist that currently does CGA's.

It's never bothered me how the rides look, but it drives me crazy when the layout makes it's harder to navigate the park rather than easier. SFDK's map from '03 to '07 was that way, people got totally lost using that thing.

Anyone going to DK for opening weekend? I had planned to but it looks like it's going to rain pretty good so I may push it off a week... go figure the park opens when the rain FINALLY shows up in the Bay Area.