TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

I remember experiencing V2 with different holding brake situations. When it first opened, it had a great bite (and I remember hearing this grinding noise, much like the key grinder sound the ride makes when the train backs into the station). Then on my next visit, no holding brake. When I rode the modded V2, the holding brake was back...sort of. It was a little more slippy. Again, this didn't seem to last long as on my next visit, and any future visits past, no holding brake at all...just up there for decoration.

Last time I checked the holding brake on SFGAm's V2 was causing structural damage to the ride and that's why it no longer operates and considering on how long it has been I think thats the best reason. It was awesome when it worked and really gave V2 that extra but of kick ass.

Just thought I'd point out that SFDK just got hit with a minor earthquake. Hope nothing's damaged, but the article states that no reports of damage have been filed. Article-

VALLEJO, Calif. -- An earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 3.7 has rattled the city of Vallejo.

The U.S. Geological Survey says the quake hit at 6:09 p.m. Wednesday about three miles south of Vallejo, or about 23 miles northeast of San Francisco.

A Vallejo police dispatcher said the quake was felt at the department's dispatch center, but police had no reports of injuries or damage.

Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Read more: http://www.kcra.com/news/30469615/detail.html#ixzz1mVe0iZwO

3.7 is very minor. I usually don't even feel them until high 4's. That place is built expecting a lot worse, so there shouldn't be any problems. Too bad it wasn't earlier and bigger, it could have done the Big Spin demolition for them!

Drove by the park on Saturday to see if anything was going on. The park seemed dead. There are still a few Pandemonium track pieces on the concrete slab and all 6 cars are just chilling in Roar plaza.

So disappointing that all these other parks are nearly done with their rides and DK hasn't even started doing ground prep.

Last time I checked the holding brake on SFGAm's V2 was causing structural damage to the ride and that's why it no longer operates and considering on how long it has been I think thats the best reason. It was awesome when it worked and really gave V2 that extra but of kick A$$.

When V2 was originally installed in 2001, it was causing structural damage. A few years later, Intamin came in and added a more rigid support system, and that fixed that.

In May 2009, V2 was struck by lightning and that resulted in a few weeks of downtime. It was an issue with power surges and such. They discovered that the source of the surges was the Holding Brake. So they killed it and the ride now lives happily ever Intamin.

^ I can't wait for it to open!

I can't wait to have to buy a flash pass every time I want to ride (END SARCASM)! All joking aside, it looks like a great concept, but this capacity is going to be so bad, that it may take a REALLY long time to even get one ride in.

That's why you get to the park early!

In May 2009, V2 was struck by lightning and that resulted in a few weeks of downtime. It was an issue with power surges and such. They discovered that the source of the surges was the Holding Brake. So they killed it and the ride now lives happily ever Intamin.

So I'm guessing mother nature was having a bad day?

^ I can't wait for it to open!

I can't wait to have to buy a flash pass every time I want to ride (END SARCASM)! All joking aside, it looks like a great concept, but this capacity is going to be so bad, that it may take a REALLY long time to even get one ride in.

That's why you get to the park early!

And that's why you learn to run like an olympian on steroids as soon as the gates open!