TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Accidental death at Schlitterbahn in Kansas City.

I'm not even sure real ride engineers were used in building this ride.

I watched the TV documentary of building this ride, and the guy who came up with the idea of the ride (who I think was one of the park owners) seemed so obsessed with building the "world's tallest water slide" that to me it seemed like he pretty much designed it himself and tested it on a "let's see if it works basis." It didn't work the first time with rafts flying off the ride so they re-did the ride until "it worked" and rafts weren't flying off the ride. When they were building it he seemed in a big hurry to get the slide open by the beginning of that summer season, although it ended up being delayed.

Thankfully the world is filled with lawyers and insurance companies who make sure things like this can't be true. The ride may have started in a Ron Toomer like fashion of bending paperclips, but ultimately I can promise you actual engineers were brought in to design the ride.

And yes, I know Ron Toomer was an engineer.

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How big of a hit would the park take if it were to remove the ride? Was it a popular ride anyways? I'm sure it attracted thrill seekers but it doesn't look too enticing to the standard waterpark goer.

When it opened it had 4 hour waits and even a slow day this year it averages a 45 minute wait. It's a huge draw for the park.

This.

I was in Kansas City on a coaster trip and was planning to go to the park over the weekend, but pushed plans back to Monday (which obviously didn't happen) and the reason I was going was for Verrückt followed by Storm Blaster. From my understanding after browsing their rides, there really isn't much else that stands out over Oceans of Fun (which just so happens to include the entire dry park as well.. a much more enticing deal). If it weren't for Verrückt and Storm Blaster, I would've had no interest in going.

All sadness from this horrific incident aside, I do hope I will get back to Kansas City soon to check out this park and ride both of these slides.

How big of a hit would the park take if it were to remove the ride? Was it a popular ride anyways? I'm sure it attracted thrill seekers but it doesn't look too enticing to the standard waterpark goer.

When it opened it had 4 hour waits and even a slow day this year it averages a 45 minute wait. It's a huge draw for the park.

This.

I was in Kansas City on a coaster trip and was planning to go to the park over the weekend, but pushed plans back to Monday (which obviously didn't happen) and the reason I was going was for Verrückt followed by Storm Blaster. From my understanding after browsing their rides, there really isn't much else that stands out over Oceans of Fun (which just so happens to include the entire dry park as well.. a much more enticing deal). If it weren't for Verrückt and Storm Blaster, I would've had no interest in going.

All sadness from this horrific incident aside, I do hope I will get back to Kansas City soon to check out this park and ride both of these slides.

Just drive over to Holiday World in Santa Claus, IN and ride their 2 huge water coasters (Mammoth and Wildebeest) if you haven't already. Best water coasters in the world. Both last 2 1/2 minutes, HUGE multiple airtime. I was just there the past 2 days. Rode Mammoth 5 times and Wildebeest 4 times (most airtime is in back seat). No more than a 20 minute wait on weekdays for both, especially Tuesday-Thursday, especially the single rider lines. Water park also includes the amusement park with a few of the best coasters in the world like Thunderbird and Voyage.

I watched the TV documentary of building this ride, and the guy who came up with the idea of the ride (who I think was one of the park owners) seemed so obsessed with building the "world's tallest water slide" that to me it seemed like he pretty much designed it himself and tested it on a "let's see if it works basis." It didn't work the first time with rafts flying off the ride so they re-did the ride until "it worked" and rafts weren't flying off the ride. When they were building it he seemed in a big hurry to get the slide open by the beginning of that summer season, although it ended up being delayed.

Really? You think that this major ride was built without any engineers? In America? Really? Do you know the kind of processes you have to go through to get anything built in this country?

Really? You think that this major ride was built without any engineers? In America? Really? Do you know the kind of processes you have to go through to get anything built in this country?

As I said before...

For a moment I had forgotten that the world has become stupid. Need to keep reminding myself why I don't even bother to post stuff on our own TPR forum anymore because humanity is just going down the shitter. This is why Donald Trump will be our next president and why Idiocracy is not a comedy but a documentary. Carry on people... I'll just watch from the sidelines... horrified.

Intamin type latching belts might work but the current Intamin round rapids raft seat belts are loose lap belts that aren't used on drops over 20 feet. The water park would need to design a latching OTSR that is easily size adjustable to protect against the negative G's. I was also responding to previous poster that had mentioned that since Velcro was able to be opened by the rider that he might have let himself out because he was afraid so they shouldn't use it. I was just saying locking people in will not help if the raft flips. People need to be trusted that the belt is there for their protection and they should not remove it during the ride. Water slides are like roller coasters and will have their flaws until they work them out. At one point, lapbars alone were good enough for steel coasters until someone was ejected and further restraint designs were developed. Hopefully, they get things worked out and this is their last accident.

I'm sorry man, maybe it's how you write, but I have a very hard time understanding what you're talking about.

This water slide does not need a latching OTSR. I think if they would have just installed a seatbelt like the ones on Intamin rides like Millenium Force, or RMC's, that you buckle up before pulling down the lap restraint, this whole situation would have been avoided. If the raft were to flip, you could easily unlatch yourself just like you would in a car, to keep from drowning. I think it was irresponsible on the parks part, as well as the safety departments part, to allow a ride to open that goes 65 MPH with only a velcro restraint.

In fact, it's borderline insane that this ride even opened that way.

^ I bet in 20 years, our president will be an ex-WWE wrestler. Probably John Cena. Or Randy Orton.

Sadly, the Rock has some backing and has publicly stated he would consider the next time around being the "people's leader"; no, I'm not kidding.

Everyone is focused on the belts, but I would bet the investigators are going to be taking a close look at the trim brakes.

You should call them up and let them know. They probably haven't thought of this. Call them up and tell the receptionist that you're a coaster enthusiast and that it's important. I'm sure they'll put you right through.

If only the professionals who built and inspected the ride had the Travel Channel they would have realized this glaring mistake and the designer's lack of credentials. I bet they feel like a bunch of silly gooses now.

People keep talking about the Intamin seat belt connection system, well here is a big shock to you all, the belt is not made by Intamin!

I for one, fell out of seat from the shock. That was indeed shocking.

Excellent detective work, Watson, please inform the authorities. Once again, tell the receptionist that you're a member of Theme Park Review and while you're aware of their investigation, a bunch of 14-year-olds who've never been to the park on the internet are performing a parallel investigation and they've narrowed it down to the airplane and parachute seatbelts.

Feel free to drop in your post count, coaster count and that you have experience building water slides in Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 if they're still skeptical. They'll put you right through to the investigation team and will probably want to set up a conference call.

Don't actually call anyone. People are so stupid I feel like I actually need to clarify this.

This.

Just drive over to Holiday World in Santa Claus, IN and ride their 2 huge water coasters (Mammoth and Wildebeest) if you haven't already. Best water coasters in the world. Both last 2 1/2 minutes, HUGE multiple airtime. I was just there the past 2 days. Rode Mammoth 5 times and Wildebeest 4 times (most airtime is in back seat). No more than a 20 minute wait on weekdays for both, especially Tuesday-Thursday, especially the single rider lines. Water park also includes the amusement park with a few of the best coasters in the world like Thunderbird and Voyage.

I have been to Holiday World and it is one of my favorite parks. I plan to go to HoliWood Nights every year I am able to. Great park and yes their water coasters are the best water park attractions I've experienced.

^^ Stupid silly gooses, designing the ride themselves, forgetting to get all the permits and approval from the government they need. Lucky for them that no one noticed them building the ride.

Yea, no one noticed the 168 foot water slide that was advertised all over the news.

^^ Stupid silly gooses, designing the ride themselves, forgetting to get all the permits and approval from the government they need. Lucky for them that no one noticed them building the ride.

Yea, no one noticed the 168 foot water slide that was advertised all over the news.

He caught me guys. My sarcasm skills are not up to par.

People keep talking about the Intamin seat belt connection system, well here is a big shock to you all, the belt is not made by Intamin! The clip is used in many places, for example on parachutes for planes.

Actually I should not call it an Intamin seat belt connection. I went to Knott's on Thursday and all of their Intamin raft boats have velcro seat belts. I could have sworn that they had buckles. Maybe they switched.

I've read this for long enough but I feel I need to point out this glaring point.

All this talk of Velcro instead of buckles.

Well there is a very big reason why Velcro. Well two actually, water and metal. The 'intamin' buckles would not be suited to the highly corrosive environment of the constant exposure to highly chlorinated water of water slides. The reason you have Velcro on Rapids rides is because it stands up well to the water unlike a mechanical buckle mechanism.

I've read this for long enough but I feel I need to point out this glaring point.

All this talk of Velcro instead of buckles.

Well there is a very big reason why Velcro. Well two actually, water and metal. The 'intamin' buckles would not be suited to the highly corrosive environment of the constant exposure to highly chlorinated water of water slides. The reason you have Velcro on Rapids rides is because it stands up well to the water unlike a mechanical buckle mechanism.

There are buckles are fully capable of being used in a chlorinated pool. We use seat belts with mechanical buckles on our rapids ride, and have since it was built.

Holy sh*t we don't even know if the accident had anything to do with the buckles. We're spending way too much time discussing something that (aside from one or two first hand reports from previous rides that are almost never reliable) you guys just entirely made up.

Can we please wait for the investigation? Please. Lol

Edited by coasterbill

Holy sh*t we don't even know if the accident had anything to do with the buckles. We're spending way too much time discussing something that (aside from one or two first hand reports from pervious rides that are almost never reliable) you guys just entirely made up.

(shhhhhhh! This thread is doing wonders for our post count this month!)

Holy sh*t we don't even know if the accident had anything to do with the buckles. We're spending way too much time discussing something that (aside from one or two first hand reports from pervious rides that are almost never reliable) you guys just entirely made up.

HAHAHAHAHAAH!

you just made my weekend, Robb