1. 1. Which is better

• Maverick
    • Millennium Force

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Millennium Force is far superior.

This post is erie. I can't believe what I'm huron.

Millennium, Dragster, and Maverick are the reason Cedar Point is still my favorite park. I go to Kings Island, and everything is amazing, but they don't have any coasters that can compete with the big three. ...but mostly Maverick.

^Fantastic puns!

Maybe I am in the minority here, but I don't really think you can compare Maverick to Millennium Force, or even try to figure out which one is better. They are two completely different coasters. That would be saying "Which is better, Top Thrill Dragster, or Magnum?" If you were to ask "Which is better, Leviathan, or Fury 325?" Then it would make more sense because the coasters are actually similar to each other.

The only problem with Leviathan vs Fury 325 is that probably every single person would choose Fury. I haven't ridden either one, but I think every review I've read from someone who rode both says Fury 325 is a large improvement. With Maverick vs Millennium Force, you get more of a debate.

I myself choose Maverick. Stengel Dives. Enough said? Just throw in the rest of the layout and Millennium Force is dead. I've only ridden the two a few times each, and I'd love to get more rides on both!

I just feel like Maverick has some awkward parts in the layout (such as a launch right into a long stretch of trims), but it does have better airtime than MF, so it's close.

Are long straightaways more your thing? I'll take Maverick's trimmed hill after the launch over Millennium Force's dud of a finale.

I just feel like Maverick has some awkward parts in the layout (such as a launch right into a long stretch of trims), but it does have better airtime than MF, so it's close.

Are long straightaways more your thing? I'll take Maverick's trimmed hill after the launch over Millennium Force's dud of a finale.

Hmm, didn't know an airtime hill into a tight overbank counts as a long straightaway.

To answer your question though, it depends on what I am in the mood for. Sometimes I want a huge drop, fast drawn out turns, and airtime hills... Something more relaxing... So I would pick Millennium Force... Then there are times I want snappy transitions, extreme ejector time, and a forceful launch... So I would pick Maverick.

Personally I of those two I can not pick which one is better, because they are both polar opposites.

Can we add an option to the poll of "Neither is better than the other, they are both unique in their own way, and both provide an amazing ride experience?" Because that's the one I would pick.

You just said exactly what I was going to - depends on my mood, but both are opposites. I somewhat lean towards Millenium Force as my favorite, and Maverick is a solid second... then again, there are those times that Maverick will win depending on my mood. Last week I rode Maverick 7 times in a row (I had to go through exit, then back through the FP+ lane). Other days, I've ridden MF just as many times in a row.

Even though I posted for Maverick and said it wasn't close, as I read the comments and reflect more, it really is a little closer for me than I initially viewed.

In terms intensity, airtime, and layout -- which are my main criteria -- Maverick wins, but it's also a coaster that requires work and effort when riding to avoid pain, and therefore is not as re-rideable for me as Millennium Force (haven't been on with the new restraints yet). Not get all bondage about this, but Maverick is very much a pleasure-and-pain ride for me, whereas Millennium is all pleasure, albeit more sedate pleasure.

I was VERY disappointed with Millennium when it first arrived, but I have really come to appreciate it over time, and it is definitely more re-rideable. That first drop on Millennium remains amazing, and in the first car, floating air can be found, along with the unrelenting speed. Overall, and maybe this is just a reflection of me getting older and maybe seeking less insane intensity from coasters, but Millennium's ride always puts a smile on my face.

So, Maverick remains my favorite, but it's no so "hands down" as I initially thought.

Millennium Force. Hands down.

Source: Rode both for first time today and yesterday (Millennium thrice, Maverick twice).

Don't get me wrong, I love me a good twisty ride, and Maverick makes my top 10, but Millennium feels more complete.

-Certified "The ride is twistyyyyy! Twisty twisty twist- (cut off)" coastergeek

(Give a shout if you read in Robb's voice)

I'd choose Maverick for a quick ride during the day, but Millennium wins at night AND overall in my books. Once the sun sets, "that was only good" Millennium Force walks into a phone booth and becomes "Holy $%#&!" Millennium Force. On the experience front, I'm amazed that for the entire ride duration there is usually consistent clapping, hooting, hollering, and hands-up camaraderie shared by every trainload of riders. A coaster that inspires even the most indifferent people to embrace strangers, scream, laugh, and let go of all self-consciousness in the name of fun? That's the magic of the ride, and I feel like some people miss that aspect and instead judge it in the same way that a kid might look at a majestic lion at a zoo and flippantly conclude, "I don't see it doing a lot of tricks or tearing apart gazelles, so it's totally overrated."

Millennium Force is the king of the coaster jungle, the iconic attraction of an iconic amusement park, the symbol of the 2K coaster wars, a huge win for Intamin, a milestone in the industry...as a total package, the legacy is unmatched. The variety and aggressiveness in Maverick's layout is impressive, but Millennium cut down trees and paved roads in the industry, still delivers after 15 years, and is #1 for me.

I'd choose Maverick for a quick ride during the day, but Millennium wins at night AND overall in my books. Once the sun sets, "that was only good" Millennium Force walks into a phone booth and becomes "Holy $%#&!" Millennium Force. On the experience front, I'm amazed that for the entire ride duration there is usually consistent clapping, hooting, hollering, and hands-up camaraderie shared by every trainload of riders. A coaster that inspires even the most indifferent people to embrace strangers, scream, laugh, and let go of all self-consciousness in the name of fun? That's the magic of the ride, and I feel like some people miss that aspect and instead judge it in the same way that a kid might look at a majestic lion at a zoo and flippantly conclude, "I don't see it doing a lot of tricks or tearing apart gazelles, so it's totally overrated."

Millennium Force is the king of the coaster jungle, the iconic attraction of an iconic amusement park, the symbol of the 2K coaster wars, a huge win for Intamin, a milestone in the industry...as a total package, the legacy is unmatched. The variety and aggressiveness in Maverick's layout is impressive, but Millennium cut down trees and paved roads in the industry, still delivers after 15 years, and is #1 for me.

^As Skinny Pete would say... CHURCH!

I couldn't really choose until Coastermania 2013.

The night ERT was an hour on Maverick and and hour on MF. I think we did 6 or 7 rides on each, and this is what swayed me towards Maverick, it stayed exciting and intense, even though MF night rides are incredible.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, didn't know an airtime hill into a tight overbank counts as a long straightaway.

180777165_MillenniumForceStraightaway.png.40091d5a09ff71b71ce2e38c034abce6.png

^I've always found that section of MF to be quite awkward, visually. Although it doesn't detract from the ride experience at all. I actually find it to enhance the ride experience. It resets the G's back to one, and then slams you into a powerful overbank, quite the finale.

Given the short length of the segment, and considering the speed the train traverses it; I couldn't imagine anything significant being placed there, and that's probably why it was left straight.

Personally like MF. I wanted Maverick's transitions to feel more like i305's but they felt like more of a jerk rather than that rotational snap i305 has.

Edited by Gnome

Loved both of the rides but would give the edge to Maverick. Loved the speed of Millenium but the forces of Maverick win out for me. On the topic of Maverick, does anyone else find the first half to be a bit tamer compared than the second? That sequence before the brakes of a stengel dive into a crazy ejector airtime hill has got to be the best finale on any coaster I've ridden.

Isn't Intimidator 305 Maverick PLUS Millennium Force. Why pick Kings Dominion gives you both in one ride!

No. It's the basics of Maverick's (and mega-lite's) low-to-the-ground layout, and with Millennium Force's first hill. Maverick, Millennium Force, and Intimidator 305 all ride completely different. Plus I'd rather travel to CP, as there are more rides worth traveling for as opposed to KD.

^He's talking about the height and speed of MF and the quick transitions and low elevation of Maverick. But yeah, all 3 are completely different experiences

Yeah I thought I read somewhere I-305 was designed to take the best parks of MF and Mav and put them into one coaster. I agree CP has more to ride.

If I were playing by the rules this would be tough b/c both MF and Mav are such different experiences. I feel like I'll give it to MF b/c I knew the ride would be epic based on all the ratings and it lived up to those ratings which is hard b/c most of the time when something is as celebrated and hyped as MF it is easy to leave disappointed.

However Mav is a close second b/c it is the type of coaster that leaves you disoriented, confused and wanting more. It doesn't look as good as it is but once I rode it once I was hooked.

I have to agree with how you describe Millennium. When I rode for the first time in 2006, it was everything I had hoped it to be. The music in the station is memorable as well. I love Maverick for the fantastic variation of superb elements..I couldn't really pick which coaster I enjoy more since they are so different.