TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Alton Towers Discussion Thread

p. 235: Nemesis Reborn announced for Spring 2024!

On 3/21/2022 at 3:18 PM, southpuddle said:

I also think that parks have taken notice at how horribly jack-hammery Banshee is with that new train design. Why would any park want that when they could get the standard train? Still not sure why B&M insisted on messing with perfection with those trains.

Woot I’m not alone in hating Banshee’s jackhammering. It hurt my brain so bad in the back row. 

That said, B&M keeps making dives with the shitty trains despite everyone liking the original Dives far more, and the originals having higher capacity. 

On 6/15/2022 at 1:32 PM, njcoasterguy34 said:

On June 11th, Tom Scott posted a video on his second YouTube channel of him getting over his phobia of coasters at Alton Towers.

Anyone who enjoyed that vid should definitely check out Tom's channel.  He's consistently one of the most engaging and informative youtubers out there and he covers a ton of interesting stuff.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Today Merlin Entertainments announced "The Curse at Alton Manor" as the new ride-through haunted house dark ride that will open at Alton Towers this Spring.

https://www.merlinentertainments.biz/newsroom/news-releases/2023/alton-towers-new-dark-ride/

The Curse at Alton Manor is the official name of the new attraction and is set to be the Resort’s most immersive dark ride to date.

An eerie image of the new ride-through haunted house has also been unveiled which hints at what’s to come with the attraction when it launches this Spring.

atr-res-1x1.thumb.jpeg.a5dbe26e6db9d5537aad919b9960a7eb.jpeg

The Resort is keeping ride details, including the backstory of the Manor’s sinister past under wraps for now, however it has said it will be a haunting ride which will frighten and excite both brave youngsters AND adults, as it takes them on a hair-raising journey through the spectacular twists and turns of the cursed manor.

Although there is limited information around what to expect with the ride, creators of The Curse at Alton Manor are said to have found new and unimaginable ways to scare and surprise fans, with special effects and visuals that have never been seen before from a UK theme park.

The spooky site where Alton Manor resides was once home to the attraction Duel, however the ride was abruptly closed after the building was repossessed last year due to unnatural activity  in the area.

Although information around the strange goings-on inside the house is limited, the image offers a set of clues about what’s in store for fans who dare to ride The Curse at Alton Manor, but The Resort is leaving it up to fans to figure this out.

“Let the countdown begin! The Curse at Alton Manor is no ordinary dark ride. It has all the components of a supernatural tale - it’s dark, compelling and promises some thrilling and scary moments along the way. Fans of eerie rides will certainly appreciate this one. More details on The Curse at Alton Manor will be revealed next month, so stay tuned for what’s to come.” - KATE MCBIRNIE, HEAD OF PRODUCT EXCELLENCE AT ALTON TOWERS RESORT

Alton Towers Resort is renowned for providing world-class attractions for guests of all ages, including Wicker Man, the UK’s first wooden rollercoaster to be built in over 20 years, Oblivion, the world’s first vertical drop rollercoaster and The Smiler, the world’s first 14 loop rollercoaster, to name a few. The Staffordshire based theme park continues to welcome millions of guests from across the globe, delivering memorable and unique experiences and events each season.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

The Curse At Alton Manor has been open for a few weeks, and it's being hailed by many as the best dark ride in the UK in its very early form.

Having rode it several times this week, I can completely agree. It utilizes impressive projection mapping technology that Disney park goers will be familiar with, and detailed themed environments with props and animatronics, all while balancing those with old school Haunted House theming, props, pepper's ghost illusions etc.

The story is centered around a troubled and neglected child who wreaks havoc on her parent's New Year's Eve party, causing all the party guests and her parents to vanish mysteriously.

Outside the ride, its themed area Gloomy Wood hasn't looked as good as it does now since the 90s, with a lot more detailing, roaming actors and a themed F&B unit 'Coachouse Confectionary'.

There are some official news videos with representatives from the park, but I'd encourage you all to experience this ride spoiler free.

image.thumb.png.37fc3a90247cadad515a5a1d50b64d9f.png 

image.thumb.png.f9c58a0766c2224cac82f306834ace26.png

• 4 weeks later...

Official photos have been released by Alton Towers showing the first sections of the new Nemesis track being lifted into place last night, providing a look at its new appearance – black with what appears to be red veins snaking along its length!

What do you think of the new look?

Nemesis new track - Phalanx inspection - credit Darren Robinson.jpg

Nemesis new track arrival - credit Darren Robinson.jpg

Nemesis new track arrival - red veins - credit Darren Robinson.jpg

Nemesis track arrival - Phalanx stand-by - credit Darren Robinson.jpg

Phalanx standing guard - credit Darren Robinson.jpg

• Like 2

The Resort's PR machine has been going at full pelt, with themed teasers pointing to the shady military organization The Phalanx running scientific tests on the new track or 'tentacles'

The arrival of the track at the Resort saw a convoy of Phalanx vehicles transporting the track to the Galactica car park.

The park also posted this aerial shot of the final turnaround of the ride on their new Nemesis webpage

image.thumb.png.4dfae4572bef19888152d140371a831d.png

All in all, we are seeing a return to the Nemesis marketing and PR machine that added an extra layer of magic to the park in the mid and late nineties. The track colour also gives off a very retro 90s vibe for the reimagined Nemesis.

• 8 months later...

Alton Towers has officially announced the name and theme for the 2024 Nemesis reconstruction... Nemesis Reborn!

image.thumb.png.4e4bdc8729269a396ae19d2c5f5633fe.png

https://www.altontowers.com/press/latest-news/alton-towers-resort-reveals-new-name-and-fearsome-new-creature-for-nemesis-rollercoaster/

Thrillseekers have been given a first look at the terrifying creature they will confront when the iconic Nemesis rollercoaster at Alton Towers Resort returns this spring. 

The heart-pounding attraction has undergone the biggest overhaul in its 30-year history and will now be known as Nemesis Reborn. 

Part of the transformation has seen the entire 250-tonne, 716-metre-long track replaced as well as a complete update of the beast which gives the ride its name. 

Now a striking animation and image released today by The Resort shows a single, giant blazing red eye, ringed by razor-sharp teeth sitting at the centre of its head.  

Tentacles snake from the beast’s body, studded with the same, vicious teeth. 

Huge, powerful claws extend from its muscular midsection as it propels itself on nimble, black legs. 

Behind it trails a tail that it whips with bone-crunching force. 

Fans were recently given a heart-stopping hint of the sheer power of the beast in an action-packed video that indicated that it had escaped from its secure containment at Alton Towers Resort. 

On its opening in 1994 Nemesis was crowned Europe’s first inverted rollercoaster and has gone on to develop a cult status amongst thrillseekers globally. 

Millions of fans from around the world have visited the Staffordshire theme park to experience the thrilling 3.5 G-force, as the ride dangled thrillseekers along numerous twists and turns at speeds of up to 50mph. 

Bianca Sammut, Divisional Director at Alton Towers Resort, said: “Nemesis is utterly cherished by generations of thrillseekers. 

“As Europe’s first inverted rollercoaster it occupies a special place in the heart for so many. 

“At Alton Towers Resort we’ve been working tirelessly to transform this iconic attraction and we’re delighted to give fans a first look at the terrifying creature that gives it its name. 

“This year fans will be able to experience the stand-out thrills of Nemesis Reborn for themselves. 

“We’re keeping tight-lipped about the exact date of its return for now, but we can assure you … the wait will be worth it.”  

I've been following the retrack silently, but I had to say: I really love the new logo, especially the eye i.

While the original Nemesis didn't blow me away, I have to say it's still a solid ride and now that they plan to reopen this year I really want to see if I can make it over there. I mean I have plans to go to England for Hyperia I didn't plan to go any further then London. I might reconsider that.

Also I haven't voiced my opinion on the new track design and all I can say is I'm not really sold on it. But having said that I do believe it might look better in person than on photo's.

• 2 months later...

Legoland and Alton Towers owner to charge more at peak times

The owner of theme parks including Alton Towers and Legoland is to make it more costly to visit on a sunny bank holiday than a rainy day midweek.

Merlin Entertainments, which also runs the London Eye and Madame Tussauds, is introducing "dynamic pricing" so prices can respond faster to weather and demand.

Merlin said it would help offset a decline in visitors since the pandemic.

Around 20 of its global venues will see the changes this year.

Merlin Entertainments already uses off-peak and peak time pricing which, like many organisations, allows seasonal fluctuations to dictate demand and therefore price.

But the introduction of machine learning will make flexible ticket pricing faster and more detailed.

For example, if a sunny Saturday during the summer holiday turns out to be less busy than expected, the firm could lower ticket prices on the day.

Similarly, if a winter's day unexpectedly turns out to be busy, prices could rise higher than current off-peak prices, even during what is normally considered a cheaper time to visit.

Merlin said in a statement that such a pricing structure "makes sure that the peak period experience is optimised by avoiding overcrowding".

It added that "these changes enable greater flexibility for guests booking online to choose discounted prices for select dates and times".

"We had it in 2023 and we had the highest guest satisfaction scores in the history of the company, and seven million additional guests," chief executive Scott O'Neil said. "So we're definitely getting the signal that our processes are moving in the right direction".

However, there has been some criticism of the "dynamic pricing" model used by companies such as Uber and restaurants, partly due to its lack of transparency about why prices are high some of the time.

In February, US burger chain Wendy's was quick to clarify that it was not introducing dynamic, or "surge" pricing. One of the company's most high-profile critics, left-wing senator Elizabeth Warren, said the plans meant people "could pay more for your lunch, even if the cost to Wendy's stays exactly the same".

Meanwhile, Mr O'Neil said "dynamic" pricing would help "protect the guest experience" during busier times of the year by managing queues, where waits of more than an hour are routine.

Merlin said on Monday it had made record revenues of £2.1bn in 2023, an increase of 8% year on year, with much of the revenue coming from international tourists visiting the capital. Nearly one in every four visitors to London came to a Merlin attraction, the company said.

Source