TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Voyage looks like an incredible ride. How is the 'triple down' tunnel in reality?

The triple down is about the only good thing left on this ride. It dropped to my least favorite coaster in the park after my visit this year. It's just too brutal and bordering on not being fun anymore. Sad too, cause it used to be in my top fifteen wood.

agreed

^Glad someone agrees with me on that one. Voyage is by far my least favorite coaster at Holiday World, it's only good in the very front row...even then it's still brutal.

It's indeed sad, I remember riding it in 2006 and it was the most incredible wooden coaster Iv'e ever been on, it's now out of my top 25. Legend and Raven are 3586969x better coasters.

and agreed. That thing was incredible it's opening year, but even when it was still smooth and re ride-able it was still a really intense coaster just due to the sheer size, speed and forces. Now that it has a few year of age on it it's pretty brutal, and almost impossible to re-ride. I really hope the timberliner trains make the ride experience more tolerable and return that thing t it's former state (if they ever get those things operational). I will give Holiday World credit though, if the voyage were at any Cedar Fair or Six Flags park they would probably would of trimmed the hell out of it after the first couple of seasons.

Same for me. In spring 2009, I thought Voyage was great and ranked it my top ten. But in August 2010 it just wasn't much fun. I was shocked at how much more brutal it had become.

Yeah, I still ran it as a top 10 because of the rides I got on it the first couple of years but it has slid.

On a side note you ever notice that every wooden coaster in the top 10 for height and drop is either a silky smooth sexy new intamin pre-fab or a brutal rough spine cruncher?

1. Son of Beast brutal

2. El Toro pre-fab

3. Colossus pre-fab

4. Voyage debatable but brutal

5. T-Express pre-fab

6. Boss never ridden it but I've never heard anyone rave about it's smoothness or about how great it is

7. American Eagle same as above

8. Beast eh, not awful but I believe it for the most part fits this trend

9. Hades brutal

10. Montezuma brutal

I'd be willing to bet if you kept going down the list of wooden coasters ranked by height you wouldn't start to see consistently smooth re-rideable coasters until you got around and under 100 ft. There may be an exceptionally smooth coaster over 100ft or an unusually rough coaster under 100 feet here and there but I think that wood as a material for coaster track has it's limitations and Voyage pushes WAY past it's limit.

The thing about Holiday World is, I will be willing to bet they won't let Voyage slip. Large companies such as Six Flags and Cedar would trim the ride like crazy (as you stated) but Holiday World won't. They will do everything to keep Voyage as one of the best in the world and it's good they've been trying to fix some problems.

But right now, I'd take Beast over Voyage any day. It's okay though, I still LOVE Holiday World.

I went to HW last year late July, and I had the exact opposite problem. It was possible that Voyage was just running well, but I thought it was actually the LEAST rough woodie there. The Legend in particular beat the ever living snot out of me (and my home park is KI, so I know all about rough woodies). Voyage was probably the second most intense ride I've been on (TTD is #1) but it didn't beat me up for whatever reason. I can definitely tell that if it got rough at all, it would be nearly unrideable.

Voyage is probably my #1 wood over the Beast (I really need to ride more woodies...). Definitely need to go back sooner rather than later, I really loved the park. And Bert the Conqueror reminded me how much I loved Wildebeest

The triple down was the only part between the first drop and brakes that I found fun. The ride was just very brutal and unenjoyable, but hopefully the Timberliners will fix that when they are put into service. I can see why people like it so much when running well, but it was just horrible when I rode it. Although, it seems like Voyage hasn't been running up to its potential lately, so hopefully Holiday World, in addition to getting the Timberliners to work, also works on some retracking. The turnarounds were particularly brutal, so if those were fixed, the ride would already be far superior to how it was when I rode it.

As for their next coaster, if it really does end up being a steel coaster, I doubt it would be a mega-lite or any other Intamin coaster. I could see a euro-fighter, custom spinning coaster, or a custom X-car coaster being built though. If they decide to build some more rides instead, I could see Holiday World build a star flyer or splash battle.

As for their next coaster, if it really does end up being a steel coaster, I doubt it would be a mega-lite or any other Intamin coaster. I could see a euro-fighter, custom spinning coaster, or a custom X-car coaster being built though. If they decide to build some more rides instead, I could see Holiday World build a star flyer or splash battle.

I don't see Intamin really in the running- but I could see them doing something truly spectacular from Zierer if Verbolten is a success at BGW. Mack is also a possibility (Picture a 'smaller' Blue Fire- but without the 'launch' but rather a chain lift. ) If Arrow was still around, a custom multi-looping coaster (Three or four inversions) would have fit the park perfectly.

The triple down isn't my favorite part of Voyage, either. Then again I'm weird (?) and especially liked the airtime on the first couple drops.

Nah, Laura- You're not weird for not liking the triple-down. It's not my favorite part, either. But then again, people call me weird, too...

The triple down isn't my favorite part of Voyage, either. Then again I'm weird (?) and especially liked the airtime on the first couple drops.

Question - Is the triple down right after the brakes that goes underground? I don't remember much from when I rode the ride, and after watching the POV, I still don't know where the triple down is.

^ Other than the 90 degree turn in the tunnel Hades really doesn't have that many overly aggressive transitions, but I agree the PTC's are probably a huge reason for the roughness on those 3 coasters. Look how much Gwazi was improved when they removed the PTC's. I really hope the Timberliners do the job but as of right now it's hard to tell because the only two sets in operation are on fairly small wooden coasters (Twister at Grona Lund and Wooden Warrir at Quassy). I cant wait to see how those trains operate on a full sized ride.

I guess I'm confused (thanks to Bert's wonderful description on the show ) - how does the triple down work? It's obviously in a tunnel, and you go down, but is it a first drop and you think you're done, and then there are 2 more drops?

It seems interesting. And it's obviously not something that would show on a POV.

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone else thinking maybe another Proslide Rocket? Wildebeest is so insanely popular and their water park is in general so I feel like another custom one up there on the hillside would be perfect. Would like to think it's another coaster but that might be a little more down the road? Whatever it is, I'm excited for HW!

I do agree with you that another coaster is a little bit more down the road but if they were to add a new water park attraction, I would think it would be something very similar to the NEW VANISH POINT at BGW. I don't think Holiday World has a drop slide and to put that on the hillside would be very cool!!!

I've heard horror stories of how crazy busy that waterpark gets, would a flowrider (Awesome as they sound) have the capacity needed for it? Since I really don't do waterparks (even the crappy one two minutes from my house that has one) do the ones that have one use it as an upcharge, or is there just really long waits for them?

If you have two that have the divider, that's four people at a time and then you just limit the time that someone is allowed on it based on crowds. It works well at Hershey and some other parks. It's also a GREAT spectator activity.

do the ones that have one use it as an upcharge, or is there just really long waits for them?

Six Flags Great America has one with a divider, one side is free and one side you pay for so the wait is shorter and you also have someone there who can help you do tricks or stand up on the board and whatnot. From what I've seen thats been working pretty well, I know HW doesn't tend to charge extra for a lot of things, but its a nice way to allow people who are serious about surfing to have more time with it.

^I saw this episode and was disappointed that it didn't feature more Holiday World coverage. As I recall, they only featured two rides at Holiday World: the Voyage and Wildebeest. The rest of the show was spent on some silly snow inner tubing "contest".

Oh, and there was a brief flash of Craig Knor in Voyage's station.

Actually 4 flashes of me and the kids... remind me to NEVER do a video shoot again!