TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NEWS: "Rollercoaster Tycoon" riding to the screen

Not sure if this should go here or the games section:

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Sony is getting into the roller-coaster theme park business ... sort of.

Film

Sony Pictures Animation has pre-emptively picked up rights to the Atari video game "Rollercoaster Tycoon," and is developing the project as a live-action/CGI hybrid.

The "Tycoon" franchise, created by Chris Sawyer, is a popular series of computer games that simulate a combination of designing roller coasters and amusement park management. Each game challenges players with open-ended amusement park management and development while allowing them to construct and customize their own unique roller coasters.

The games are popular in the PC world, generating more than $300 million in sales and giving Atari bragging rights for having the third-best-selling PC title of all time in the U.S.

Harald Zwart is spearheading the development of the big-screen adaptation as a possible directing project and will executive produce. He directed Sony's "The Karate Kid," the upcoming remake of the 1980s classic that is produced by Will Smith and stars his son Jaden Smith.

Link

Why would someone think this is a good idea? Then again, movies are being made on Where's Waldo and Candyland.

Edited by jedimaster1227

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Chuck, good game does not mean good movie. Come to think of it, I do not think I have ever watched a movie based on a game.

Hey BeemerBoy, Canes v. Bucks in the shoe this September. Another friendly wager?

I don't even know where they'll go with this. Some weird Truman Show like thing where people are in this theme park completely controlled by others they don't even know about? I hope there's a giant floating claw that drags people off and drowns them. Actually come to think of it this could be an incredibly dark movie.

I would love personally to see a new Tycoon game actually be made. It's been an extremely long time between the releases. With PC's being so much more powerful now, the game could be even more amazing.

As far as the movie, that's going to be a tough script to write.

Better yet, they shouldn't bother with it at all.

Agreed. While it's a great game series, this seems really thin on content, let alone developing a quality story for a movie. Kind of like Doom. Great game, very limited and meh movie.

The only other thing that came to mind was Sony possibly pulling this move to keep others from developing a movie. Granted, it's a long shot, but it stirred in the gut. Time will tell here.

Oh dear god its Bruce Almighty mixed with Final Destination! with a 13 year old controlling people at a Six Flags park! Maybe there will be hacking involved ! Oh wait wait no no. Will there be Intamin cable snaps? And yes I agree lets include the carousel scene that would be drastically comical.

^And don't forget, "Is someone watching me?" and "Gravitron 1 is really good value."
"Mega Shark 1 is really good val . . . aghh! My legs!"
This is an awful idea... At least they won't have to worry about expansive dialogue.

"HELP! I'm drowning!"

"Drop Tower 1 looks way too intense for me!"

"I can't find Hyper Coaster 1!"

As long as they include the incident where the carousel flies off of its base into the sky after dialing up to deadly speeds, the first theater to show the film will have my $7.

I would intentionally delete the exit path just when that happened because it amused me ever so much

So in all honesty, just because I'm a huge coaster geek, I'd probably see it once it came out on DVD.

I can't get my writing published, and they're putting this crap out...no wonder I'm so damned angry all the time...

Anyways, I have to join the bandwagon...

'Mega Shark 1 has broken down...'

'Elissa White can't find the exit...'

How about a cameo too from the real John Wardley, and not the imposters like jOHn wardley.

I think this is a clever idea. The game was a large part of many of my friends' early computer gaming years and it still comes up from time to time. I think there's still enough interest to garner something like this. And who knows, maybe it would revitalize the game so that we could finally see a RCT4!