TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I'm with you. Tolls only when you get on and off is infinitely better than tolls every 10 minutes at the northern end of the Parkway.

Yeah. SFNE has some fan girl losing it over a niche DC Comics character

So Cyborg's voice doesn't get you all hot and bothered?

She’s flipping out over “Grid” whoever that is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:lol: Wow, this is somehow more off-the-rails than the SFNE thread.

Thought us folks at the Six Flags Darien Lake thread were the worst. Gives us credit where it is due.

Whenever someone mentions CUDA FALLS take a drink

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thinking of driving down to Great Adventure this weekend, debating between Saturday and Sunday. Main goal is to ride Ka and Toro, I know Kingda Ka shuts down if its windy or raining.. does it just shut down while it's raining and once the rain stops it gets going again, or can rain shut it down for a good portion of the day even if the skies clear?

Saturday has no rain but gusts up to 26mph, possible morning shower and I assume bigger crowds than Easter Sunday which has gusts of 17mph and "a few showers".. but less people?

If things stay this way, what do you think is the better day of the two? Thanks!

My gut tells me that the ride will run both days because generally they pretty much don't give a f*ck. It reopens quickly from wind and rain closures unless the park is dead and they don't care. I'd almost shoot for Saturday hoping that it's busy because the extent to which they care about weather is directly tied to how busy the park is.

Bill kinda beat me to it but I think you should try for Sunday instead. Here's why.

Firstly, there is no rhyme or reason to crowds at this park. The whole "It may be less crowded thing because its Sunday/Easter/etc" thing does not apply here. In fact, I feel like Sundays are busier in my experience.

There are no events listed for this weekend on the website or Facebook page (other than the week-long Spring Break thing they're doing and "Talent Auditions" on Saturday) and no BAF specials other than a general all-April-long BAF for $15.99 thing that I can see in the app which shouldn't necessarily have a substantial effect on crowds either day this weekend.

So, based solely on the weather forecast, I would go with whichever day you think the weather will be better for riding Ka and Toro. In this case, as of right now? I'd pick Sunday. Why? Saturday has crappy weather all morning and cloudy weather all afternoon which could lead to no one showing up which could lead to the park closing early which is not out of the question at all for this place. If people show you'll have nothing to worry about but with that forecast it'll be a crapshoot.

Alternatively, Sunday has rain in the morning for a shorter time period and will clear up and looks like it will be a nice afternoon with less rain and wind. It will be more crowded Sunday, but if you're traveling far, I think the better chance of having a good day is Sunday.

Wow really, they would close early on a weekend? That's crazy. Guess I'll just play it by ear and check the forecast Friday night and see what's what. Thanks for the advice, what do you guys find is the best site for forecast in this area?

Wow really, they would close early on a weekend? That's crazy. Guess I'll just play it by ear and check the forecast Friday night and see what's what. Thanks for the advice, what do you guys find is the best site for forecast in this area?

My default has become the National Weather Service website. No ads, no distractions, just straight-up weather.

Also, everything Boldikus and Bill have mentioned is 100% accurate, at least based off of trends from the last couple years' operations.

I think it's pretty unlikely the place will be dead on a weekend day this time of year but if the weather is just crappy enough and only a few hundred or less show and/or they're losing money paying people for nothing, they will not hesitate to close early. It's sorta become their thing the last few years.

I think it's pretty unlikely the place will be dead on a weekend day this time of year but if the weather is just crappy enough and only a few hundred or less show and/or they're losing money paying people for nothing, they will not hesitate to close early. It's sorta become their thing the last few years.

To be fair, I've been going to SFGAd since like 1996 and have had them close early due to low attendance pretty steadily over the years so I don't even think it's a new thing.

Thanks for the advice, what do you guys find is the best site for forecast in this area?

I use the Wunderground app (and website) religiously and its usually very on point. I think its important one of us points out that its only Wednesday and the forecast can and likely will change so keep an eye on it.

To be fair, I've been going to SFGAd since like 1996 and have had them close early due to low attendance pretty steadily over the years so I don't even think it's a new thing.

Could be, I only started going back in 2013 after not going since the early 90s so you know better than I, but I feel like in the last year or so this practice has become even more common of them.

I'll be making the long trek for a visit on Saturday. Rain is only forecasted for the morning at this point but we are still a ways away for it to be reliable. I'll take the chance, if it closes early @ 4 for some reason I'd be ok with that (we typically only do half days at parks cause we get a lot done in the morning and we're old ), we still have Hershey the next day 8) -- if they don't open at all due to the weather the previous night/into the morning, well, we'll have to find something to do.... but still have Hershey the next day 8) so this trip won't be a total loss, worst case scenario. I doubt they would close the entire day. But then again, it's Six Flags and I've been screwed over before.