TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I just hope this means they're going to literally "GO BIG" with a real roller coaster in 2016. I mean, really? The Batman gimmick and an off-the-shelf carnival ride are the only additions for next year? Hopefully the money they're saving this off-season goes towards infrastructure improvements. Maybe they can finally bulldoze the paintball building and eliminate one of the worst dead ends in the park.

On one hand the park needs something like this but personally I'm disappointed, especially if they are marketing it as a coaster. I am stoked for Backwards Batman, but like everyone, I wish it was a new coaster, though my hunch was that we were not getting one.

I would be fine if the new ride is a permanent model like Brain Drain at Elitches. Brain Drain looked really nice and the guests seemed to absolutely love it. It will give Great Adventure a new experience, hangtime on a loop, and will be a good step-up from the smaller coasters to the big B&M's. I'm guessing it will be located next to Zumanjaro's entrance as some work has begun on the ground there.

Batman backwards doesn't really excite me too much... I can't imagine riding it and not getting sick.

Also, I've seen Clementon Park market their Ring of Fire ride as a coaster, so it isn't just Six Flags doing that.

I would be fine if the new ride is a permanent model like Brain Drain at Elitches. Brain Drain looked really nice and the guests seemed to absolutely love it. It will give Great Adventure a new experience, hangtime on a loop, and will be a good step-up from the smaller coasters to the big B&M's. I'm guessing it will be located next to Zumanjaro's entrance as some work has begun on the ground there.

Batman backwards doesn't really excite me too much... I can't imagine riding it and not getting sick.

Also, I've seen Clementon Park market their Ring of Fire ride as a coaster, so it isn't just Six Flags doing that.

The real problem I have is how you can ride one at every county fair for a few tickets, yet go to an amusement park and pay good money to find a "prettier" version. I don't think of that as a good investment anywhere except for a very small amusement park like Waldemeer or Quassy. I didn't like the Elitch Gardens addition, and especially don't like these being added to Six Flags parks. It screams cheap to me.

Still better than a used Boomerang. I guess people from St.Louis might actually be a little bit jealous

If this one is Larson's Ring of Fire, I have a crazy idea that a Six Flags park will install a bigger version of their drop tower in the future.

Honestly I'd take Boomerang over a really crappy carnival ride (granted, I've only been on one Ring of Fire ride before and it had different restraints than most have).

I think that Six Flags might have had some steep budget cuts. Since they put something new every year, I guess this was there last idea. I just don't understand why they wouldn't just put some flying scooters instead of a ring of fire.

Exactly. A ride with a higher capacity like Maxair at CP would benefit the park so much more than a Super Loop. Not to mention Maxair is much more thrilling

Could this be because they saw a decrease in attendance and is trying to go back to the old 90's theory that thrill rides will bring in the crowds?

The most ideal theory is that Six Flags has become THAT lazy now.

If they were going to add a flat ride, there are so many better options than a ring of fire. I'm assuming Six Flags got a deal for installing them at multiple parks

I agree big time. I know that the carnival ring of fire costs between $250-300,000. These may have run about 1 mil a piece. Maybe they cheaped out this year for bigger things the next....hopefully

Guests at Elitches mostly do not like it; I read that in a few places. Also, the ride seems to break a lot.

I really don't get this negativity. In all honesty this park doesn't need anything new. They finally added a decent amount of Family rides with Adventure Alley, they added Safari which has mass appeal and is a great attraction that's really popular... they have one of the best coaster collections in the country and they have some thrilling flats with Sky Screamer and Twister. They even have a few unique ones like Houdini and the Parachutes.

This park really doesn't need anything except for general improvements and to improve operations on their existing rides like opening both sides of the Skyway since it's now routinely posting 30-45 minute waits and to open the damn log flume all day and preferably all season as it's immensely popular and has mass appeal. That's really about it. If they would have done nothing I would have been fine with it after adding the tallest drop tower in the world the year before.

People think the park needs to replace things that they've removed but if they were never there you would never feel like the park is lacking. The park doesn't need a family coaster to replace Rolling Thunder because they have Runaway Mine Train, Skull Mountain and Dark Knight for that demographic. They don't need to replace Old Country with anything because 99 out of 100 people never go back there. It's not like it's creating an empty area of the park... they just kind of cut it off from the park. Nobody walks past Batman and Dark Knight.

Besides what I mentioned above, all I'd really like to see is for them to do some small general things. Figure out what you need to do to allow Kingda Ka and Zumanjaro to run together, fix Nitro's bad train, Open the path in Golden Kingdom and that would make me extremely happy. They don't need a new ride, the fact that they're even getting anything is a bonus for me.

We always say, "get more flats, get more flats..." Now they are adding a flat (I don't really care how they are marketing it,) and we are complaining about it because you can find it at a carinval? A TON of major parks have Scramblers, Ferris Wheels, Monster/Spiders, etc...and those can all be found at carnivals and fairs.

Jeesh - chill out folks.

D

We always say, "get more flats, get more flats..." Now they are adding a flat (I don't really care how they are marketing it,) and we are complaining about it because you can find it at a carinval? A TON of major parks have Scramblers, Ferris Wheels, Monster/Spiders, etc...and those can all be found at carnivals and fairs.

Jeesh - chill out folks.

D

It's not because it is a carnival ride, really. It has bad capacity, breaks down a lot, and is a poor choice for a park of this size. If we had gotten a ride that is reliable and has a high capacity, there wouldn't be so much hate

Jeesh - chill out folks.

D

It's not because it is a carnival ride, really. It has bad capacity, breaks down a lot, and is a poor choice for a park of this size. If we had gotten a ride that is reliable and has a high capacity, there wouldn't be so much hate

^^exactly

Is the capacity really any worse than any of the other flats in the park? Parachutes, Tango and even Sky Screamer don't have great capacities and I don't see anybody complaining about them.

It looks like Sky Screamer can handle 32 people at a time and this can hold 24 but probably won't have as high of a demand and can't possibly have a longer loading time than Sky Screamer.

Is the capacity really any worse than any of the other flats in the park? Parachutes, Tango and even Sky Screamer don't have great capacities and I don't see anybody complaining about them.

Because those have gotten unpopular with the exception of Sky Screamer. And Sky Screamer doesn't even have that bad capacity as the line moves fairly quickly.