TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Ai miss GASM, as well. While I definitely prefer GL, GASM gave the lineup more variety since we are overloaded with B&M's. On goods days in the right seats, GASM was a very solid ride. Always really liked the vertical loops and consecutive corkscrews. Everything else was garbage.

Speaking of torn down coasters, I miss this coaster literally every time I visit the park:

*Courtesy of East Coast Coasters

Yes I miss Chiller, even though it was operating once every 7 visits to the park . If it started operating after the park opened everyone would know cause you could hear it all the way from the Mine Train.

Not having ridden the Chiller is the only thing I regret about not going to the park from the early 90s til a couple years ago. My other half rode both sides of Chiller and always says she loved it (and how loud the launch was). Not to mention mostly everyone else I talk to about it seems to have enjoyed it for the most part. Ultra Twister comes close, only because I vividly remember seeing tons of television commercials for it and being dead set on riding it but it was either closed when we did go or it was after it was removed. Never went to the park while Viper was there. I don't miss GASM, Lightning Loops or RT at all, did all back in the day and were fun then from what I remember but I can't imagine any of them aged well.

edit: This was the exact UT commercial.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Mannnn the 9 year old me wanted to ride that thing bad.

Not having ridden the Chiller is the only thing I regret about not going to the park from the early 90s til a couple years ago. My other half rode both sides of Chiller and always says she loved it (and how loud the launch was). Not to mention mostly everyone else I talk to about it seems to have enjoyed it for the most part. Ultra Twister comes close, only because I vividly remember seeing tons of television commercials for it and being dead set on riding it but it was either closed when we did go or it was after it was removed. Never went to the park while Viper was there. I don't miss GASM, Lightning Loops or RT at all, did all back in the day and were fun then from what I remember but I can't imagine any of them aged well.

edit: This was the exact UT commercial.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Mannnn the 9 year old me wanted to ride that thing bad.

Chiller was awesome!! Very, very intense, good launch, and both sides offered a pretty different ride. Plus, the lap bars made it a lot more enjoyable. It was the perfect compliment to our lineup the two years it was around after Toro was built.

Is there any other park that's had more than 50% of the coasters they've installed removed? I feel a Guiness World record is in order

Like this?

CP still has 17 coasters out of 32 built, so Gradv still has them beat with 13 of 27

wedidit.gif.4fc23cc45aa69c7f34fa4152a276cfb7.gif

Is there any other park that's had more than 50% of the coasters they've installed removed? I feel a Guiness World record is in order

Kennywood, Conneaut Lake, Seabreeze, Morey's, Jolly Roger in Ocean City, they all fit. Coney Island Cincinnati is the champ at this: 1 operating coaster out of 13 ever standing on the site. Though Southport Pleasureland would probably be in the running too if RCDB tracked the coasters there.

Ai miss GASM, as well. While I definitely prefer GL, GASM gave the lineup more variety since we are overloaded with B&M's. On goods days in the right seats, GASM was a very solid ride. Always really liked the vertical loops and consecutive corkscrews. Everything else was garbage.

Speaking of torn down coasters, I miss this coaster literally every time I visit the park:

*Courtesy of East Coast Coasters

What I find interesting is that if Chiller was never built, and installed in 2016....people (I think) would be excited about this addition to the park!

I (still) give the park credit for giving this ride a shot (fairly new technology for Premier at the time), thus I don't bash it like many others have. And yes- I rode it when it first opened, and each year it operated. At the time (for a SF park), I thought the theming was well-done too. RIP- in storage somewhere if I'm not mistaken!

PS- spoiled brat local guy (who grew up in Monmouth County) still yearns for a launch coaster added to our collection of greatness (before you quote this, I'm aware that Kingda Ka is a launch coaster.....I'm referring to adding another one besides the one trick pony!) And this year's carnival ride being built as we speak is just that.....

I've never really understood why SF was able to get the Mr. Freeze clones to a good operating point, but could not with Chiller. They were not all that different (especially the Batman side). Chiller could have still been a fan favorite to this day.

What I don't get either is these days with RMC you see such simple, basic, wooden with steel supports. Then you look at a ride like Batman & Robin which has a completely steel track and supports, and it's absolutely LITTERED with supports from every which angle. I mean, not only would that be a pain in the ass to design and build, but think of the cost of all those resources for what we would consider these days a very basic, simple layout for a ride.

I mean in some areas the layers of supports are so thick you can't even see through them!

I've never really understood why SF was able to get the Mr. Freeze clones to a good operating point, but could not with Chiller. They were not all that different (especially the Batman side). Chiller could have still been a fan favorite to this day.

If the park just built one side of the ride it would have been fine. If you noticed the coaster only operated both sides at the same time very early in its career. After a certain point in time Six Flags only operated one side at a time (mostly Robin cause Batman was always having more issues). This was due to Six Flags not having the infrastructure to operate both coasters at once. When launching both sides of the coaster it drew an enormous amount of electricity from the generator which put it at risk of powering down and affecting other rides in the park.

Primier was still a newer a company with newer ride technology at the time so if the coaster was maybe built 5 years later they could have come up with a way around this.

Edited by Jcoaster

Like this?

CP still has 17 coasters out of 32 built, so Gradv still has them beat with 13 of 27

I will not admit defeat.

http://rcdb.com/4749.htm

You win, you win

I'll take your 80% defunct and raise you 100% http://rcdb.com/5884.htm (yes, I'm cheating with maths )

But then who needs roller coasters when you can have men doing flips on your tagada instead.

100617_filland131251.jpg.b30bcbfce45591e94038713ca390a1c5.jpg

What I don't get either is these days with RMC you see such simple, basic, wooden with steel supports. Then you look at a ride like Batman & Robin which has a completely steel track and supports, and it's absolutely LITTERED with supports from every which angle. I mean, not only would that be a pain in the A$$ to design and build, but think of the cost of all those resources for what we would consider these days a very basic, simple layout for a ride.

I mean in some areas the layers of supports are so thick you can't even see through them!

Over time manufacturers have found ways to decrease the need for supports which likely reduces the overall cost of their products and the construction time. This is true of most coasters... look at how many supports an Arrow has compared to a B&M. Even old Arrow corkscrews and loops vs. more recent Arrow corkscrews and loops.

Then look at Sheikra vs Valravn, I305 vs Millennium Force, Nitro vs Fury. As manufacturers build more and more coasters they find ways to make the support structures more and more efficient and it's fun to watch.

^Shockwave at SFGAM

Yeah, my post was a poorly made attempt at jokingly pointing out to SFGADv people that it could have been much worse, their park's Arrow Megalooper could have been removed for the scrap metal, and terrible waste of red, yellow and blue paint (Superman Ultimate Fluff) that Shockwave- my home park's Arrow Megalooper- was removed in favor of, knowing full well/sympathizing with them that they in fact already had one of those operating on the plot of land next to GASM since 2003.

I would have been thrilled with Chang/Green Lantern instead of Superman Ultimate Fail.