TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

The rumor of a dueling Premier launcher from Screamscape seems like the best idea yet. I know people want a launched wing coaster, but Premier's launchers like Superman and Yolo are awesome rides with the former being pretty forceful and intense.

I agree, I think it's the most needed spot in the park... Personally, I like the lake area being a lull, it always is a nice place to lie down for a little bit and just recoup. The west side of the park is YEARS behind the east side, and any addition would be a good one. I think a YOLO inspired ride spanning the B&R:TC area and the unused Fantasy Forest area is a perfect way to recitalist that side.

The rumor of a dueling Premier launcher from Screamscape seems like the best idea yet. I know people want a launched wing coaster, but Premier's launchers like Superman and Yolo are awesome rides with the former being pretty forceful and intense.

That would be funny if that happened considering they removed one from the spot they will put (if it is going in Movie Town).

To be fair, Premier was only two years old when they built Batman and Robin, and the first shuttle coaster the company had made. It did come out the same year as Mr. Freeze, but the design was significantly different. I think since then they have learned QUITE a lot about the dynamics of their rides, and are much better at building them now. Six Flags as a company has spent millions since working with their company, and i am sure Premier would be happier than any other company to rebuild in the same spot as a former failure, just to cover the wound of their earlier mistakes...

Greetings everyone! I flew up from Texas for my first visit to your park this past week and it was a blast! Compared to SFoT it was really being ran well. This was surprising to me as my park suffers from terrible ride operations. I got to ride everything the park had to offer and really enjoyed El Toro and Zumanjaro. I can see why El Toro is ranked one of the best, that ride is AWESOME. I was very surprised being Six Flags that I got a ride on Kingda Ka because it was misty and rainy on Wednesday when I went. To their credit they got it fired up around 2 pm and I got a ride. I'm sorry to say, I think I enjoy TTD at CP better mostly because of the restraints. You can't really tell the height difference or speed difference. Is it just me also, or does the ride not have the same hype that TTD does? When it opened finally, people weren't flocking to it like they tend to flock to Dragster at CP. I found this interesting, anyway, very nicely done park and I enjoyed it. Superman also gets a shout as that was a very fun flying coaster, I also thought Nitro was one of the best hyper-coasters I've ridden. The locals were very friendly as my little group had on some shirts indicating the state we were from. I can't wait to come back and get some more rides on El Toro!

I'm sorry to say, I think I enjoy TTD at CP better mostly because of the restraints.

No need to apologize. Pretty much everyone who've been on both, including those with Kingda Ka practically in their backyard (see: me), prefer TTD over it.

Glad you had a great time!! Y'all come back now, ya hear?

^^

Sounds like you guys a had a good time. We have a great park and the more I travel the more I realize that. Glad you go to experience the amazing Bull. Did you get a chance to do Bizarro or Skull Mountain? I think I might be Skull Mountains biggest fan lol.

Agreed about Dragster/Kingda Ka. You really can't tell the difference in speed/height imo. I've ridden Ka a bunch and Dragster only once and Dragster was light years better than Ka, mostly because of the restraint. Its amazing how much difference it makes. It also felt smoother on the launch to me, I think because of the more aerodynamic train design on Dragster.

I just felt like KK was so much rougher than TTD. Though I got a lot more airtime at the top of KK than TTD. I didnt mind KK's restraints so much.
I don't think Kingda Ka is "rough" I just think that the trains are not nearly as aerodynamic as Top Thrill Dragsters trains are there for there is more wind resistance on the launch which makes the trains vibrate more. But that's just my opinion. I am jealous you got air time!!! I have never had airtime on either espically not on Kingda Ka. I have a few times got air time on TTD, but only in the back row.

I just felt like KK was so much rougher than TTD. Though I got a lot more airtime at the top of KK than TTD. I didnt mind KK's restraints so much.
I don't think Kingda Ka is "rough" I just think that the trains are not nearly as aerodynamic as Top Thrill Dragsters trains are there for there is more wind resistance on the launch which makes the trains vibrate more. But that's just my opinion. I am jealous you got air time!!! I have never had airtime on either espically not on Kingda Ka. I have a few times got air time on TTD, but only in the back row.

None of these rides provide a lot of air which is a tad odd as they both have top hats where the climb and drop are vertical. The only time I remember thinking: "well, that was some air" was on KK on the way up (and a bit on the hill too). As to the restraints, even though KK OTSRs are completely unnecessary they don't bother me much. I'm okay with them as I (for some reason and unlike most here) find KK more intense and enjoy it more.

^^

Sounds like you guys a had a good time. We have a great park and the more I travel the more I realize that. Glad you go to experience the amazing Bull. Did you get a chance to do Bizarro or Skull Mountain? I think I might be Skull Mountains biggest fan lol.

Agreed about Dragster/Kingda Ka. You really can't tell the difference in speed/height imo. I've ridden Ka a bunch and Dragster only once and Dragster was light years better than Ka, mostly because of the restraint. Its amazing how much difference it makes. It also felt smoother on the launch to me, I think because of the more aerodynamic train design on Dragster.

We did have a great time! We got to ride everything but Skull Mountain. It was having some issues, I also have to give props to Six Flags for their photo options. If you didn't know, for 30 bucks you can get ALL photos whether it's from the rides or with characters emailed to you for ALL parks! I thought that was fantastic! SFoT hasn't started offering that unless they just started in the last few weeks.

I also agree on the launch, I could feel it being a bit rougher than Dragster. I'm one of those that shoots the arms up right at launch and I just didn't like the old restraints. It might be better if they replaced them like they did on Maverick and I-305 and then it would be better.

I did like Bizarro (Being the nerd I am, I was telling our group how it used to be called Medusa) Interesting layout for the ride and found it very smooth. I went to King's Dominion 2 days after my visit here and good grief Dominator sucks! I don't say that very often about a roller coaster, but man...that thing needs a trim break...another thing I never say. All in all though, it was a great time. Zumanjaro is also really cool! We enjoyed that view and anticipation of drop. But yes, no doubt that El Toro is a true winner, I'd fly back just to ride that all day.

Greetings everyone! I flew up from Texas for my first visit to your park this past week and it was a blast! Compared to SFoT it was really being ran well. This was surprising to me as my park suffers from terrible ride operations. I got to ride everything the park had to offer and really enjoyed El Toro and Zumanjaro. I can see why El Toro is ranked one of the best, that ride is AWESOME. I was very surprised being Six Flags that I got a ride on Kingda Ka because it was misty and rainy on Wednesday when I went. To their credit they got it fired up around 2 pm and I got a ride. I'm sorry to say, I think I enjoy TTD at CP better mostly because of the restraints. You can't really tell the height difference or speed difference. Is it just me also, or does the ride not have the same hype that TTD does? When it opened finally, people weren't flocking to it like they tend to flock to Dragster at CP. I found this interesting, anyway, very nicely done park and I enjoyed it. Superman also gets a shout as that was a very fun flying coaster, I also thought Nitro was one of the best hyper-coasters I've ridden. The locals were very friendly as my little group had on some shirts indicating the state we were from. I can't wait to come back and get some more rides on El Toro!

Nice to hear! I've had a season pass since I was in fifth grade (that would be since 1981!).....thus always critical of the park. Good to hear that SFGA is enjoyable to "outsiders"......thanks for posting!

Having had experience with building tophats in N2, I can say that there is plenty of airtime at the top of KK and TTD. Near the crest it easily exceeds -1 g in order for it to be the correct width. I believe it's a psychological effect that allows you to not feel the airtime there, because your'e mind is still trying to register what just happened (during the launch) and it's preoccupied with this so you don't feel it. I've been on KK loads of times and if I try and concentrate and pay attention to the forces I notice how insane the airtime is if you get a fast launch, you can get stapled into your restraint!

Also, CP replaces the wheels on TTD very often, much more often than Gadv on KK. This can make a huge difference.

I don't think you can safely say that lol. I know maintenance replaces wheels at Ka much more frequently than at the other rides at GADV and I've seen them do wheel swaps several times. Ka's rattle comes from the design of the trains rather than the wheels. It's had a rattle since the ride's initial opening day.

And I've always found Ka to be more intense than Dragster in terms of it's launch and the overall ride but I think I prefer Dragster cause of it's setting, lapbars, and overall smoothness. Plus Dragster doesn't have the brake on the drop like Ka does so you can really feel the whip going down the drop into the spiral.

^^Are we thinking of the same Kingda Ka? -1G is the equivalent of being hung upsidedown. There's no way you wouldn't feel that.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ka does -1G at the top hat. I usually always get good airtime unless the train creeps over the tower. Same thing with Dragster.

Having had experience with building tophats in N2, I can say that there is plenty of airtime at the top of KK and TTD. Near the crest it easily exceeds -1 g in order for it to be the correct width. I believe it's a psychological effect that allows you to not feel the airtime there, because your'e mind is still trying to register what just happened (during the launch) and it's preoccupied with this so you don't feel it. I've been on KK loads of times and if I try and concentrate and pay attention to the forces I notice how insane the airtime is if you get a fast launch, you can get stapled into your restraint!

Wait... so having experience in a simulator game (No Limits 2) suddenly means that you know how top hats work??? That means I have played it enough that I am a bona fide roller coaster designer. Guess that means it is time for me to start applying at RMC, B&M, S&S, and Intamin.

I have been on Top Thrill Dragster close to (if not more than) 1,000 times, and I assure you that it does NOT pull any where NEAR -1g at the top of the tophat. I don't care what you are coming up with in NL2. You crest the tower on Top Thrill Dragster between 8-12mph. I assure you that 8mph is NOT enough to give you -1g on that top hat. You may get a little airtime going into the top hat, and coming out of it, but there is NO way that you are getting -1g. With KK having the brake at the top of the tower, I have not once had airtime on KK going down the tower. Then again, I have only rode in the front on KK so I can not fully compare it to TTD, but I assure you neither of these coasters is pulling -1g at the top of the tower. Yay for physics.

To get -1g on the top of one of TTD, or KK traveling at 12mph the curve of the tower would need to be 19ft across, and we all know that the curve of both of those towers is wider than that.

^-I never even mentioned that I am an expert in any way with coaster design. Actually, this theory was mentioned by several other people and I only tested it in newton 2 (an FVD program similar to what designers actually use, only much less complex).

- How can you say that it crests at 8-12 mph? Please, give concrete evidence of this guess based on experience rather than actual measurement (which, by the way you wouldn't be able to get unless you either happen to have speed measuring equipment or you designed the ride). From multiple people who work with KK, I've heard that the launches vary drastically, and one launch can be faster than another by nearly 10 mph, making the forces vary greatly with every launch (hence the magnetic fins at the top which act as trims to limit the amount of negative forces in case of an excessively fast launch).

- The -1 G experience I mentioned is only a very brief spike, not at the very top, but right after the twist. If it were closer to 0 G's the top hat would be enormously wide. That spike levels out at the crest and it repeats on the other side, although nowhere near -1 G's on the other side. If the g's were sustained at that level for the entire crest, it gets borderline dangerous. A brief spike at -1 G's is harmless, of course.

- Now of course I could be way off; I don't mean to sound harsh in this post and didn't word my previous post correctly, and I wasn't trying to sound like an expert, rather making an educated guess based on what I've done. Obviously this means I could be completely wrong, but unless some designer from Intamin answers this question there is no proof on what kind of forces one get up there.