TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Thorpe Park Discussion Thread

I think the slowness might add to the ride's excitement. The way the train just sort of lazily rolls through the inversions will be fun, kind of in a Volcano: TBC way (and NOT in a Chinese SLC way). Better not have anything loose in your pockets on The Swarm!

Unfortunately I have no idea when I'll be able to get on this in the near future, but it looks cool nonetheless.

^Apparently word from the testing team is that the ride is running slow and is lagging behind the themeing elements. That tells us that, firstly, the ride will be faster when it opens and, secondly, there's interactive themeing possibly?

Would have thought they are talking about the WaterSplash, although I would have thought that sort of thing would have been set off from sensors on the track rather than a timed system?

The ride will get faster people, it was the very first run, those bearings in its wheels have never known what it is to go 60mph, give them a chance to loosen up!

Its not uncommon for B&M testing multiple wheel types before choosing the right one. We've already seen this at Dollywood. It seems reasonable that the first test run was done with the slower of the two wheel types and that B&M could make the decision to switch them out with others to allow the coaster to go faster.

Man looks good the video of Thorpe park Mania is sort but sweet. Now I see the first drop that train, I realize that this somewhat larger than I first thought. I believed that when the last car left the chain lift the front car is already partially in the half loop and not that he hasn't finished the half twist even. It looks great and hearing it will go faster is something that makes it even better.

Thorpe Park orders rollercoaster improvements after dummies lose limbs

Thorpe Park, the theme park, has ordered improvements to its new rollercoaster, The Swarm, after dummies lost limbs during test rides.

11:41AM GMT 24 Jan 2012

Theme park officials had to take drastic measures to the £20million project after dummies were ''alarmingly'' damaged.

Thorpe Park in Surrey said a number of the crash test dummies returned with scratches and limbs missing, forcing a costly operation to make changes to comply fully with health and safety requirements.

An emergency response team was called in to work on the ride, The Swarm, re-modelling a life-sized church and making other changes ahead of the park opening in March.

Mike Vallis, divisional director at Thorpe Park, said: ''The ride-testing phase is absolutely crucial in ensuring extreme fun doesn't compromise safety, and we work with the very best teams in the world to ensure we reach the gold standard in safety, so if that means re-modelling a church it's taken us a year to build, then so be it.

''To lift the lid on what goes on behind the scenes of building a monster rollercoaster such as The Swarm is quite unprecedented, but we want people to understand the level of planning, precision and care that goes into creating their ultimate thrill-seeking experience.''

The park has previously held a contest in which it asked members of the public to donate urine to create a "signature stench" for its horror maze SAW Alive.

It also banned rollercoaster fans from putting the hands in the air due to body odour.

It even called in a paranormal expert and suspended six members of staff after a late-night Ouija board seance at the park was blamed for a series of spooky incidents.

Experts adapting the new ride have remodelled a life-size church (23m x 17m x 9m) hto avoid any nasty accidents when the ride officially opens on March 15.

It is built on its own island, includes wreackage from a plane and helicopter, and the ride travels at almost 100kph.

My favorite part is the related articles section which only lists other publicity stunts.

Related Articles

Thorpe Park asks for smelly urine

25 Feb 2010

Rollercoaster body odour ban

18 Aug 2009

Thorpe Park 'may be exorcised'

15 Oct 2009